Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Herne and Aradia...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cirrus Mystallow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:00 am
I was just reading an Internet Book of Shadows at www.sacred-texts.com and in the Invocation of the Great Gods he/she first invokes Herne, Then invokes Aradia, then Cernunnos as the Horned God and then Habondia as the great mother and I was just wonder what Aradia and Herne have to do with the religion. I'm not Wiccan (And this Person states it's a Wiccan ritual) but I was just wondering if Herne and Aradia were like Children of the God and Goddess in their religion or what importance they have (As he then goes on to actually invoke the God and Goddess) unless this information is oathbound or do they infact not have any importance at all and this person is just picking and choosing what he/She thinks sounds nice...

PS - I am fimiliar with Aradia (The Gospel of the Witches) by Leland.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:56 am
I believe the usual assumptions, if this is Wicca, is that those names are stands ins for who was really being discussed. Since the identities of the dual gods is an oathbound secret, any outer court released material can be assumed to be in code.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Nomad of Nowhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:57 pm
Herne is often taken to be a Saxon god. The story says that he was a hunter who was killed by a white hart, and then brought back from the dead. Somehow the ritual gave him antlers, and now he hunts for eternity. He seems more like a spirit than a god.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:15 am
Teague the Druid
Herne is often taken to be a Saxon god. The story says that he was a hunter who was killed by a white hart, and then brought back from the dead. Somehow the ritual gave him antlers, and now he hunts for eternity. He seems more like a spirit than a god.

The words "spirit" and "god" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:20 am
I reckon herne was only elevated to deity status because of robin hood. ninja
The only lore I can find about him otherwise is the mention of a dead hunter.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:25 am
patch99329
I reckon herne was only elevated to deity status because of robin hood. ninja
The only lore I can find about him otherwise is the mention of a dead hunter.

Given the Wild Hunt aspects of him, he could be friends with the other hunt leaders, like my Old Man.

I think if we're going to start talking who or what is a deity and who or what is not we need to define cultures and terms, though. A lot of the British Isles specific stuff was lost in a way that (thank the gods) the Norse and Germanic was not, too, which effects the debate.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Nomad of Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:01 am
Deoridhe
Teague the Druid

The words "spirit" and "god" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

No, you're right. It does strike me rather poignantly that he doesn't sound like a terribly important figure, though it's possible his prominence was dimmed by time. It's also noteworthy to me, though, that he dies and is brought back to life in the story.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games