Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
Does anyone practice Capoeira?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sean701

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:59 am
I am a beginner practitioner of capoeira, I've been doing it since april now .Has anyone ever herd of it or practice it? There's a capoeira Spot in Washington DC for those that are interested in it.

here's a capoeira video.

Capoeira Demonstration

Here's a small summary of capoeira from the website Capoeira DC

African slaves in Brazil perfected Capoeira (Pronounced 'kah-poe-air-ah') 400 hundred years ago as a way to resist the oppression of the Portuguese. Music and dancing were incorporated to provide concealment, allowing the slaves to play unhindered. Capoeira has played an important part in shaping the culture of Brazil.

Modern day Capoeira is an up-tempo, fast-paced, fluid game known as Contemporânea, (A Portuguese term meaning "Contemporary"), which is what we play here at Capoeira Malês. Our contemporary roots trace back to a rough and tumble version of capoeira called Old School, also known as "Regional" (Pronounced 'heh-shon-al'). Capoeira Regional was practiced for many years in the neighborhoods of Brazil's towns and cities.

Today, Capoeira is practiced on every continent and continues to gain recognition as a means of liberation from the barriers people impose on themselves. Capoeira combines the raw excitement of music, dancing, fighting, and gravity defying acrobatics. The term given to people who practice the art of Capoeira is 'Capoeirista'.

The game of Caporeira is played inside a Roda (meaning 'circle', pronounced "hoe-da") comprised of of several capoeiristas. Some rodas can be very large, consisting of up to 40 or 50 participants. The tempo in the roda is set using a unique musical combination of drums, tambourines, singing, and most importantly, a one-stringed instrument called a berimbau.
Capoeira, does not focus on inflicting attacks upon an opponent, but rather it is a "conversation" between two individuals. Each move is responded to by a defensive move, an offensive move, or most often, a combination of both. This is what gives Capoeira its dance-like quality.

Similar to the way a sensei leads a dojo, a mestre leads a school of Capoeira. Mestres practice for many years, perfecting their art through learning and teaching. There are several levels in Capoeira, beginning with professors, then moving to contra mestres, before finally reaching the level of mestre.

Every year "Batizados" are held, where Capoeiristas from all around converge on a three day celebration. Literally meaning "baptism", Batizados serve the purpose of bringing the Capoeira community together for fellowship, learning and recognition. New Capoeiristas earn their cordas (belt), and a Capoeira nickname if they haven't already earned one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:07 pm
Nope, I've never done that, but it looks awesome~!!

My sister and I used to pretend fight and do stuff like that when I was younger, though. xD  

PoppyLander

sean701

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:13 pm
Oh for the record this is not pretend fight, someone can get fatally injured during a capoeira fight especially when a Mestre is going up against another mester! I seen people get K.O in the Roda one time LOL.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:24 pm
sean701
Oh for the record this is not pretend fight, someone can get fatally injured during a capoeira fight especially when a Mestre is going up against another mester! I seen people get K.O in the Roda one time LOL.
Yeah, I looked it up and found some videos. A lot of those moves, even when done really slowly, look painful. D: Don't worry, I know it's not a sissy's game!  

PoppyLander

djTAKA
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm
I haven't seen my mestre zazi in years. crying emo

I've done capo, but moved on to try other things related to tricking like wushu and stuff. Had my fair share of injuries. x:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Only for three months, hadn't had time to fit in the schedule. It's a really good work out. Haha. :] I hate it when the class had a few people in it, because the Roda is smaller than usual, and I'm afraid I might hit someone. XD  

Euphoric Ghost

Kawaii Cub

BeiZhiMing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:07 pm
I practice hap ki do and some tae kwon do.Black belt heart  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items