Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Personal policies for purchasing fantasy books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestiara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:55 pm
I personally like to read a book before I buy a copy. Sometimes I make an exception; if it's another book in a series that I like, or is by a trusted author, or is highly recommended to me by someone I trust, then I'll probably buy it.
What about you guys? Do you buy everything fantasy in sight, or do you have your own ways of decided what to purchase?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:59 pm
I like to buy books. I have the worst memory for titles imaginable, so whenever I get a book from the library, I forget the title and can never re-read, even if I want to read it again. I use the library for non-fiction books, mostly. Ones that I probably won't want to read again. It's working fine for me so far. n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:11 am
I tend to buy books based on whether the blurb on the back grabs me. If someone has recommended an author a few million times I might pick up one of theirs too. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:55 am
I'm like you. I usually read them first. I don't do impulse book buying. I like to be safe and make sure that I like it before I purchase it. Unless it's in a very good series I'm reading or I get a whole bunch of recommendations to read that book then I might get it.  

Eragon-12015

13,225 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conversationalist 100

GuardianDragonsSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:23 am
There's a few conditions a book has to meet in order for me to buy it:
1. If I've read it before, it has to be one I know I'll re-read a lot, i.e. Sabriel
2. It's by an author whose previous work I like and re-read regularly (i.e. Garth Nix, Anne/Todd McCaffrey, or Marianne Curley (sp?))
3. The cover, title, and/or blurb attract me, and I like the writing style after reading ten pages
4. It is highly recommended by my friends who are avid fantasy readers (i.e. Twilight/New Moon/Eclipse (ordered and waiting on!))
5. If it is a series I am already reading, they have to be the same edition as those I already have (I had The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and, when I got the rest of the series, I had to get the same edition (the one with the original illustrations for a cover; calls itself the full-color collector's edition, I think...))  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:27 am
I only buy them if I know I'll like them, i.e. a favorite author, I've already read it, or I read a few pages and enjoyed it.

kel aka gandy

Minerva the Whore 4 Books

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:44 pm
I love book-shopping! I own 4 full bookcases and am working on filling more! Having many books in my home makes me feel happy. biggrin

I browse the shelves in the fantasy-section looking for an attention-grabbing title. I pull it off the shelf and read the synopsis on the back. If that's uninteresting I'll put it back, but if it's good then I'll read a few pages to see if I like the writing style. If that's great too then I'll buy it even if I've never heard of the title/author before.

I also buy fave reads from the library, new books by fave authors, and recommendations from friends with similar tastes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:09 am
Hrm...I don't remember what started getting me buying books. I remember hearing so much about Kelly Armstrong's Bitten, that finally I bought it and loved it. So I've always bought Kelley Armstrong's books, she's my favorite author.

I generally buy the first book in a urban werewolf series because there really isn't enough for me to really lose money. And if I like the series, which I generally do, I buy the rest in the series as they come out. I've only not liked a book I bought once. (It's Dancing With Werewolves, and it's painfully boring.)

In that case, I simply give the book away to my friends as a Christmas or birthday present when the time comes. xD

The libraries around here suck, so I don't find what I want to read in them.

Rabid Nozomi

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:15 am
Rabid Nozomi
I generally buy the first book in a urban werewolf series because there really isn't enough for me to really lose money. And if I like the series, which I generally do, I buy the rest in the series as they come out. I've only not liked a book I bought once. (It's Dancing With Werewolves, and it's painfully boring.)

Oh! I read that book! I agree, it was very boring. And in the end, nothing really happened. Pretty disappointing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:52 am
I am completely an impulse buyer. I own several bookshelves worth of books and am NEVER seen without a book. I would definitely call myself a book addict. If a book catches my attention then I buy it. Almost every penny I own goes out again in books, so the volume seems to indicate that all a book has to do is look good.  

Aurora Epithets

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff