Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Gods and Goddesses

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForgottenDreamsMyLove

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 pm
Okay...im weird and confused. I was thinking about everthing about the Pagan faith and what not adn well I have accually heard a lot of people talking about the Gods and Goddesses and a lot of them had different ones. I understand the pathways and such but you fallow the gods that the pathway you choose says to right? Or do you pick the ones you mainly worship? Im not 100% sure.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:36 pm
I don't have a lot of experience in these matters myself,
but I think either way is valid,
although the eclectic way risks offending someone if you're not careful,
and perhaps lacks a certain power of focus.

Where do you feel "at home?"  

CricketBrain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:40 pm
Some gods pick the people. Some gods are picked by virtue of cultural tradition.

That said- some gods are bound to avoid individuals who are not part of their people.

Which gods are you thinking about?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:08 pm
TeaDidikai
Some gods pick the people. Some gods are picked by virtue of cultural tradition.

That said- some gods are bound to avoid individuals who are not part of their people.

Which gods are you thinking about?

well you know that site I was told to check out.. by you I think sacredtext I think well I searched Pagan into the search thing and I found a book called Bulfinch I think which is a story of the Gods and Heros (so on so forth) and I was wonder if people just picked thier gods, or how you know one has picked you, and such. Or if you have to worship the ones your path ways tell you too I mean I have read about Astrea and the story of Prometheus and Pandora.  

ForgottenDreamsMyLove

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:22 pm
ForgottenDreamsMyLove

well you know that site I was told to check out.. by you I think sacredtext I think well I searched Pagan into the search thing and I found a book called Bulfinch I think which is a story of the Gods and Heros (so on so forth) and I was wonder if people just picked thier gods, or how you know one has picked you, and such. Or if you have to worship the ones your path ways tell you too I mean I have read about Astrea and the story of Prometheus and Pandora.
Paganism is not a unified theology. Link please? I need more context.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:37 pm
TeaDidikai
ForgottenDreamsMyLove

Paganism is not a unified theology. Link please? I need more context.

Umm okay here is a link to the site I was reading http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/bulf/index.htm I have completly read the first one. Im not sure if I some how got things wrong or something truth be told im a little confused.  

ForgottenDreamsMyLove

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:59 pm
The Hellenic gods that you read about for the first thirty six chapters relate to the people in a number of ways. Some via vocation, some via location- some through placation- the list goes on.

The gods of the Drui were tied to the people and the land by oath. They belong to a collection of closed cultures.

The gods of the Norse are also drawn in a similar way to the Hellenics. There are also calls to personal service depending on the deities.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:37 am
Paganism is an umbrella term for loads of different paths.
It all depends on which way you come to a path.

You might like a path and end up worshipping those gods, or vice vera (which is what I did). Or if it isn't stepping on the toes of any cultures you could have a more eclectic path.  

patch99329

Tyrannical Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 pm
ForgottenDreamsMyLove
Okay...im weird and confused. I was thinking about everthing about the Pagan faith and what not adn well I have accually heard a lot of people talking about the Gods and Goddesses and a lot of them had different ones. I understand the pathways and such but you fallow the gods that the pathway you choose says to right? Or do you pick the ones you mainly worship? Im not 100% sure.

You're doing fine. It's alot of complex information to absorb, but these people will generally be more than happy to help you.

As Tea said, depending on the gods and your own religious philosophy. As far as I know, with many of the pantheons, you would only worship a deity if it resonates with you (feels "right") or the deity focuses in your line of work or if the deity can do something for you.

For instance, you may worship Poseidon or Neptune because you feel an association with the sea, or because you are a sailor, or because you are going on a long sea voyage and you are requesting his protection.

You might also worship a deity because they protect your people/your culture/your heritage. These are more picky generally, and don't want you bothering them if you aren't in their domain.

Am I missing anything?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm
Quote:
For instance, you may worship Poseidon or Neptune because you feel an association with the sea, or because you are a sailor, or because you are going on a long sea voyage and you are requesting his protection.

Or you like to bet on Horse races... biggrin  

Ethermus Prime

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:00 pm
Ethermus Prime
Quote:

Or you like to bet on Horse races... biggrin
I thought that was the god Biscuitumare.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:47 pm
I depends on the person really. If you worship more than one god and one goddess you usually will pick one god and one goddess to worship mainly but you can worship others.  

a_witches_past

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:16 pm
a_witches_past
I depends on the person really. If you worship more than one god and one goddess you usually will pick one god and one goddess to worship mainly but you can worship others.

We do?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:48 pm
a_witches_past
This isn't accurate. While it is common to see Eclectic Neo-Pagans style themselves after ditheism as a result of misapplied concepts of Wica.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff