Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Fantasy Vs. Science Fiction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bumbbles10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:33 am
It's a little embarassing to say, but I never really understood the difference between Sci Fi and Fantasy...I think I've always just classified them together, I don't see a big difference...does anyone agree, or would like to shed light on the matter.....  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:39 am
In the strictest sense, science fiction is based on an evolution of our culture into the future. This includes how our society will interact with new intelligent species and the technology that will allow us to leave our planet and in general any technological advances not already made.

Fantasy tends to encompass those things in our myths and legends, such as unicorns, faeries, and in general the unknown things that go bump in the night. They tend to defy the "known" laws of the universe and incorporate magic into the story.

There are books and stories that incorporate the two, but they don't seem to be abundant. I guess robots and faeries just don't mix. lol  

Wissakins

Minerva the Whore 4 Books

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:02 am
Wissakins is right. 3nodding Whenever anyone asks I usually simplify it and say, "Sci-fi is about the future and/or other planets. Fantasy deals with magic, meaning magical creatures and/or people with magical powers."

It infuriates me when bookstores classify them as the same thing. Lord of the Rings is not science fiction! scream

Anyway, hope that clears things up. smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:13 pm
A simplification of what Wissakins said:
Science fiction is something that, theoretically, could happen. Fantasy encompasses things that could never happen.

XD  

NightIntent
Captain

pkmn1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:17 am
bumbbles10
It's a little embarassing to say, but I never really understood the difference between Sci Fi and Fantasy...I think I've always just classified them together, I don't see a big difference...does anyone agree, or would like to shed light on the matter.....

don't worry...you're not the only one who doesn't know... rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:42 am
Aw, Night, you don't believe that someday the realms of Faerie will open and spew out a bunch of twisted freaks and overly beautiful elves? That witches, werewolves, vampires and ghosts will suddenly come out in the open and say "Hey, we've been here the entire time!" That fantasy and reality will meet and we'll become one with the universe and ....ok you get it. I'll stop now. lol  

Wissakins

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:50 pm
Wissakins
Aw, Night, you don't believe that someday the realms of Faerie will open and spew out a bunch of twisted freaks and overly beautiful elves? That witches, werewolves, vampires and ghosts will suddenly come out in the open and say "Hey, we've been here the entire time!" That fantasy and reality will meet and we'll become one with the universe and ....ok you get it. I'll stop now. lol

Maybe when world peace happens, I'll believe in stuff like that actually happening. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 am
NightIntent
Wissakins

Maybe when world peace happens, I'll believe in stuff like that actually happening. XD

XD Cool by me so long as I get my own dragon!  

GuardianDragonsSpirit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:03 pm
GuardianDragonsSpirit
NightIntent
Wissakins

XD Cool by me so long as I get my own dragon!

Then join the UN and arrange a world-wide treaty. XDD  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:21 am
Now THAT's fantasy!  

Wissakins

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out