Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A Couple Of Questions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tyrannical Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:10 pm
Nuri
ForgottenDreamsMyLove
Umm one more thing from what I have been told there is also an egptian Pantheon and a few more umm goddesses and gods out side that anyone know where I might find information on them?

Generally? It's easier to focus on learning one pantheon at a time. They usually have entirely different ways of looking and relating to each other, their followers, etc.

There are several religious groups who worship within the Egyptian pantheon, the neo-pagan versions being referred to as Kemetism in general. However, I agree with Nuri, pick a group and learn all you can about it, including the surrounding cultural concepts and ideas they formed around- it will really help get a grasp on how those who originally wrote about these deities worshiped them.

If you do seem to be more associated personally with the Egyptian pantheon, you should do some research on Kemetism to begin with. Does anyone have any good internet sources for Kemetism?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:16 pm
Speaking of the Egyptian pantheon, this unrelated link regarding mermaids and things like it says:

Quote:
The Nereids on the other hand were protective of sailors, and reserved their beautiful singing voices to entertain their father, unlike the dangerous Sirens who ensnared sailors with their enchanting voices and lured them to watery deaths. The Sirens were originally bird-women related to the Egyptian Ra, or soul birds, demons of death sent to catch souls. But the Sirens eventually became synonymous with mermaids; thus the mermaids acquired their unpleasant reputation for drowning sailors. This evil aspect can also be traced to a certain degree as stemming from Greek sea-monster propaganda, promoting a fearful image of the sea to discourage commercial rivals in shipping and colonization.

I'm having trouble finding information about this elsewhere. I mean, there's the Bennu bird, who, as I understand it, is said to be the soul of Ra, Atum or.. crap.. There's another name.. XD;

Oh! Osiris, I think.

But I can't find any bird-women. You wouldn't happen to know anything about 'em, Dis?  

Maze

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:23 pm
Bacodus
If you do seem to be more associated personally with the Egyptian pantheon, you should do some research on Kemetism to begin with. Does anyone have any good internet sources for Kemetism?
The organization/community I am most familiar with is Kemetic Orthodoxy. They're not exactly Kemetic Recon, as some of their practices were extrapolated, invented, or tweaked by their founder, but several members have degrees in Egyptology and many members do research into ancient Egypt's practices on their own time. You can look around at the website (there's a recommended reading list and some information about the Names), and feel free to join the forums if you have any questions. There is also a free beginner's class you can take if you want to learn more; I think the next one should be starting mid-August; and you don't have to join the religion in order to take it or after you take it.

The other thing related to the Egyptian pantheon I've heard of is Tameran Wicca, but I know next to nothing about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:36 pm
Maze
Speaking of the Egyptian pantheon, this unrelated link regarding mermaids and things like it says:

Quote:
The Nereids on the other hand were protective of sailors, and reserved their beautiful singing voices to entertain their father, unlike the dangerous Sirens who ensnared sailors with their enchanting voices and lured them to watery deaths. The Sirens were originally bird-women related to the Egyptian Ra, or soul birds, demons of death sent to catch souls. But the Sirens eventually became synonymous with mermaids; thus the mermaids acquired their unpleasant reputation for drowning sailors. This evil aspect can also be traced to a certain degree as stemming from Greek sea-monster propaganda, promoting a fearful image of the sea to discourage commercial rivals in shipping and colonization.

I'm having trouble finding information about this elsewhere. I mean, there's the Bennu bird, who, as I understand it, is said to be the soul of Ra, Atum or.. crap.. There's another name.. XD;

Oh! Osiris, I think.

But I can't find any bird-women. You wouldn't happen to know anything about 'em, Dis?
Nekhbet is a Netjert associated with the vulture. Aset, Nebt-het, and Ma'at are often depicted with wings. I think Hethert might sometimes be associated with hawks through Heru-wer. These are goddesses, not demon soul-catchers. As far as I know, the Bennu bird is, indeed, tied to Ra, Atum, and Wesir, and resembles a heron or a phoenix, not a "demon of death sent to catch souls." That description doesn't make any sense to me, and I can't think of anything else Egyptian that could fit that description. Ammit eats the souls of the unworthy at their judgement after death, but She's not a bird (lion and crocodile I believe).  

TheDisreputableDog

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces