Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Help, What is with my body?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Serafim_Azriel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:21 am
Since some people are reading my timeline wrong: When I posted this, I had been working out for a month and a half, now it is two months. STILL NOTHING

Alright, so this is very, very frustrating and more than a little distressing, but here's my problem. I have been working out almost everyday and doing cardio, aerobics, and, within the past two weeks, general toning/repetition exercises. Normally, It takes me working out and eating right to lose weight, but right now, I eat candy maybe once a week, I eat only food I cook, I count my calories and I pretty much live off of fruits and veggies and green tea. My all accounts I should be losing weight. Not like, a lot, but something.

That's just it. I've lost NOTHING. In fact, I've gained 8 pounds since I've started! And that was during the time when I did NO muscle building exercises. My Waist sized increased by 2" and there is no reason for this to be happening!

I don't have hyperthyroid-whatever, I'm not pregnant, and I'm not even gaining any muscle!

I have no idea why this is happening and it is really depressing because none of my clothes fit and I have not found any solution for this! I just keep gaining weight while I'm doing everything I can to lose it! It's to the point where I'm half tempted to just stop eating or something. I mean, I am over 30 lbs over a healthy BMI and somehow everything 'healthy' is making me bigger!

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions or something?

I went to my doctor, but she wasn't any help because she pretty much thought I was still gaining weight because I wasn't doing enough (even though she didn't even listen to me (I hate doctors)) and then kicked me out!

Should I go to another doctor or something? Should I try different exercises?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what causes it?

Basically:
HELP ME!

See my last post before replying please. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 am
Absolutely go to a different doctor. And keep going until on will listen to your needs. Hoply, a good doctor can help you find out if it is a hormonal (possible) thing, or something else, and could even refer you to a nutritionist.

I am in no way an expert at nutrition and fitness, but this was my idea:

Maybe the portions you are eating are too large? Or possible you are not eating at the right times? (I heard something about how you can end up gaining weight if you do not have a "schedule" of eatting)

As I said, I'm no expert, so my ideas could be completely wrong. But I do strongly suggest you seeing another doctor.

Hang in there! Things will turn around for the better! **Hugs**  

alwyscrying240

5,300 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Person of Interest 200

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:09 pm
I would say definately see a nutritionist. How much fruit are you having? Sometimes people recommend you limit fruit because it is high in sugar...although if you're cutting out other fats and sugars that really shouldnt be a problem.

Maybe its water retention? Although i never heard of that making someone's waist wider..  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:38 pm
It's hypothyroidism for the gaining weight.

As for doing 'no' muscle building, simply moving more than you're used to will help you gain muscles, and if you are, especially around your waist you will see an initial increase in weight AND size for a while.

Two weeks is NOT an apt amount of time to see a change if you're doing anything but abstaining from food.  

Lady Schist

Serafim_Azriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 am
Alright, so I had a long post of everything typed her but my computer hates me, so I'm just going to give you all the short version.
I've been going on this since April 28th.
I almost always warm up before exercising, usually with Yoga, and I usually go half an hour to an hour on average. I think I'm going to try and fins some of the hiking trails nearby, I can't run around here because my lungs won't adjust to the climate. (Wet, humid and sea level to dry, arid and high altitude.)
I'm doing a test trail to see if maybe the intial weight gain was because I built muscle mass and now I'm staying the same weight because I'm eating as many calories as I'm spending on exercise. So I'm increasing my exercise and tracking what I'm eating. If nothing changes, I'm definitely seeing a doctor because my BMI is almost to the obese level (29.4-29. cool .

I'm also going to look into belly dancing classes and joining one of the local Gyms. The Belly dancing class I've seen is $40 a month, and the Gym membership is $20/ month and I get to go to the gym 3 days out of the week.

I'll give updates as I get them, and thanks everyone for the ideas and support so far!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 pm
I'm in the same boat, actually, so you're not alone! It's been a few weeks since I committed to a regular exercise regime...I've been working out 4-5x a week, I've been working with a personal trainer (just 3 sessions so far), and overall busting my butt. I'm not really dieting, but I've been eating healthier. Aaand...so far, nothing! My pants are still too tight! I've gained a few pounds because I've been doing strength training, so I'm pretty sure it's muscle.

It's frustrating, but I've been in this spot before, and my advice is to just stick with it! I lost some weight a few years ago through lots of exercise, but I remember it took almost TWO months before I really starting losing a bit of weight week to week. I hate-hate-hate restrictive dieting, so it takes me longer to lose inches, since I'm doing most of the calorie reduction through exercise. But I stayed super healthy and active for over two years, and I kept the weight off. It started creeping back when I got a full-time job and began slacking on the exercise, which is why I'm now back where I started from. sad  

nerdliberation

1emon

Tipsy Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:39 pm
I've heard this is very common pre-weight loss. I don't know why though. I figure it's something similar to the whole 'your-acne-medicine-will-make-you-break-out-before-it-really-starts-to-work' thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:22 pm
maybe its a "oh my god im exercising more so i have to cling to every bit of fat that this person gives me" thing? This has happened to me before too, my weight goes up and then starts going down after i start exercising. I graph my weight, i'll add a screen shot of it so you can see you arent alone!

User Image

As you can see, rises in weight usually precede a drop in weight (could be for a variety of reasons- you gain weight before you lose it for bio reasons, or behavioural: you put weight on, think "oh my god ive gotta try harder!" and then you try harder and lose more)

Edit: crap look at the size of that pic >.< sorry, if anyone wants it resizing i'll do my best...  

Iconised Ghost

Serafim_Azriel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 pm
So, I think it is just a spike from going from little exercise to a lot.
Because when I started my waist was 33", then it jumped to 36", now it's back down to 34 3/4".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 pm
yup i think so too ^_^ it seems to happen, although im not sure why  

Iconised Ghost

Pandemasu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:51 pm
When you first start exercising, you end up pushing the fat that is also under your muscles to above them. So you might seem to be larger and swelled at first. I suggest you keep a food diary. Even though you aren't doing things like weight lifting, you still will build muscles if you didn't run much before.
But yeah, keep a food journal. Try not to get anymore than 2500 calrories each day.

Also, if you are drinking more water than before, then it could be water weight. Are you on your period?

If you are still gaining weight after afew weeks, go ahead and see a doctor and see what they suggest.

But most importantly: Its only been 2 weeks since you started! Dont panic. Just keep getting atleast 30 minutes of workout and 2000 to 2500 calories a day. Be sure you get plenty of carbs from fruits and vegies, whole-grains and whole-wheats, likes of calcium from low-fat or skim milk, or even soy milk. Protien is also important which you can get from milk or soy milk, lean meats, beans and nuts, and dairy. Keep up with all the daily values you need.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 pm
Well, actually, when I started the thread it had been a month and two weeks...

I cant eat more than 2500 calories in a day. X.x I don't get hungry much, I don't know why, really. I can barely get close to 2000 without feeling like I've eaten too much (that is, when I pay attention to the calories, because for some reason, when I pay attention to the calories the foods fill me up more.  

Serafim_Azriel

Serafim_Azriel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:42 am
Alright, I figured I needed to give another update because it seems I still need help.

It's been over a week since I last posted. I started exercising and eating right two months ago. NOT TWO WEEKS! Please note that.

Alright, so I have still lost no weight, I'm barely eating anything, exercising even more and I have seen no results. I have yet to go to a doctor because, well, simply, the ones here in Utah SUCK! They don't run the tests they should and I'm trying to find one that might actually be willing to see if there is a real medical reason for me to be gaining weight when I eat more than 1000 calories! X<
I went down to 160, then I jumped up 5 pounds for no real reason.

I checked the symptoms online myself of the possible medical reasons that I might not be losing weight according to: this website and the only one it might be is Hypothyroidism, and with that the only symptoms that do fit are ones I've had my whole life. And I have never not been able to lose weight before now.

Basically this is really, really depressing at this point and I'm seriously debating eating nothing because nothing is working.

I'm sorry, I'm 19 and the doctor's tested for PCOS and hypothyrodism and so, technically, there is no reason why I'm not losing weight and it is making me depressed. I hate weighing so much because I fit into NONE of my clothes! I wear a big tank and pj pants everyday because nothing else fits. When I go out, there is only ONE pair of pants that fit me, and they are my bfs and they're too big for him! All my shirts that fit me perfectly before are now too tight and even in my baggy tops you can see my stomach! This is the most frustrating thing in the world right now.

I mean, I am crying about this. This is the most I've ever weighed and I don't know what to do anymore.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I suggest you go to the doctors, they maybe able to tell you why you aren't losing weight.

Call Me Stephanie

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:50 am
that sucks, i really feel for you. One thing i suggest is that you dont starve yourself, that will slow down your metabolism so when you do feed it it goes "omg food store store store!" Having said that, it is unusual that you havent lost anything at all. I google nutritionists in Utah and found this link:
http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Nutritionists/-State_UT.html

I dont know where in Utah you are, but hopefully that will help you find one that is close to you that can help find a solution that will work for you 3nodding  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games