Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Arena]________Fanfiction & Fanart & Original Creations
[R][Help] Tips for drawing YAOI couples... Puhlease?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smileontheedge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:14 am
Okay, I heart yaoi my problem is I have a hard time drawing guys. I can draw females just fine. Anyone has any tips on how to draw? Thanks in advance for any tips. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 am
When I'm drawing bodies I always use reference from the internet. Mostly some photos of male models.  

Anjel Smrti

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:48 pm
I don't consider myself a good artist at all, but the one thing that helped my art go from hideous blinding torture to normal weeaboo fare is learning proportions. Before you even try to draw from references, learn anatomy, especially facial anatomy - you need to know how a specific facial feature deviates from the "average" structure before you can accurately recreate it in a drawing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:19 am
Thanks you guys for the tips! I need to find a how to draw book that deals more with bodys and facial expressions. I have one for couples but I need the basics though too. Usually when I draw femals I usually use models in catalogs.  

smileontheedge

Chaos_Unleashed

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:04 pm
The above suggestions about anatomy and references are good. Also, practice every day. No matter how good or bad of an artist you are if you draw an something one day and then don't draw again for another three weeks, you're going to have lost that little bit of improvement. Even if it's just a crappy little sketch that's an anatomical disaster, it doesn't matter.

If you're looking for anatomical references for men I would suggest searching 'anatomy references' or even just 'anatomy' on deviantart. It's free and you don't have to h ave an account to search the images, although, the explicit ones will be censored and/or omitted. You could also try googling the same things. Also, look into borrowing anatomy books from your local library.

If you don't mind spending money, there are several good anatomy books on Amazon or even EBay. You can buy used versions of said books on both sites; the cheapest anatomy book I bought off amazon was 10 cents. If you don't mind spending more money, the best anatomy book I ever invested in is called "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simblett. It's got full color and black and white photos of strictly n***s in almost every useful/unique position one can think of. It also includes skeletal and muscular diagrams and closeups of areas that most people find difficult; like hands and feet and the like. I paid $60 for it new, but a while back it was selling on Amazon for about $25.

Hope that helps you. If you need more specific help, feel free to PM me and ask for whatever you need. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:19 pm
oh~
idk if this will help since it is a pretty old post sweatdrop
but!

Theres this really good website I discovered when I was looking for models.
(I too, use magazine for the female models xD but the guys are a bit harder to find,and its always embarrassing to explain why theres a man in his underwear, which always happen to be very tight ones,on my screen >.>)
anyway!
pose maniacs

it helped me a lot~ and its fun lol
gluck!!  

Mage_Almasy

Maki Casanova

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 pm
YOU find MEN difficult to draw? Lol. I thought it was usually the other way around for artists, since they're so rough and rugged, and you can have your way with them as you please. Or maybe it's just me (I find females harder to draw since they're so delicate and curvy >.<). But anyways, the best hint that I can probably give you is to scrutinize pictures and get some helpful 'points' from them. If a woman's body requires more curves in the body, then males basically have more rough features around theirs, being rugged and all.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 pm
Guys are usually harder to draw. I had to practice like crazy before i could get them right. Just find some male models and practice their outlines. After some practice you will get better. Lord knows i didnt get better over night. It's been years and Im just now getting the structure right.  

queennanami

7,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

wyt noiz

King Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:25 pm
As pretty much everyone's been saying, practise makes perfect.
Try not to expect perfection, or you'll wind up like me; frustrated and wasting more paper than the Olympics wastes money. Keep experimenting with new things once you've gotten confident with what you know, and pay close attention to how the two (or more >:3) subjects are interacting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:24 am
guys are easy especially guys from a yaoi beause sometimes there drawn more girlish. And I have a HUGE problem with guy ananomy because i always draw them with narrow sholders. This is how i figure it out.
seme=broad sholders and thiner eyes and head
uke=narrow sholders rounder head bigger eyes... they look cute that way.
Hope it helps. '=^^=  

hameko105

Erandir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm
The best way to improve quickly in drawing people is to learn how to draw realistically. Anime/Manga style drawing is esentially a simplified, idealized version of realism. It's not like other forms of cartooning where proportions and anatomy can be exaggerated or imperfect.

I'm sure you've seen some Saturday morning cartoons where the people barely look like humans or it's OK to put someone's ear on their neck. Now, if you develop a cartoon style like that it's not a problem, but if you're basing your style on anime/manga art, it's just going to look stupid. Anime/manga style tends to emphasize proper anatomy and proportions, just like realism. Everyone I know has improved their art greatly after learning to draw realistically.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 am
Im an art student, What helps me draw characters are what ur thoughts of ur character. First thing before u do anything, kno what personality and type of character they're gonna be. There personality varies with their look, and if his appearence doesn't match with his personality, he'll be misundestood. Sketch them out first on paper. Yaoi tip:
In series, there are labels for characters:
Seme: the leader in a relationship
Uke: Submissive
Innocent uke:usually are very short than their partner and have petite, slim bodies, sort of femine
Wild boy type: Tall, well built, spikey hair and a gett outta ma face attitude
prince type:Flirty, tall athletic body, broad shoulders, charming and charistmatic, nice smile
Bad Boy: It speaks for itself...
Always pair characters with opposite personalities, wouldn't be interesting if they're alike.
Hope it goes good with ur characters!!  

zeecloud9

Fashionable Trainer

4,850 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Signature Look 250
[The Arena]________Fanfiction & Fanart & Original Creations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers