Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
Writing Fantasy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DayhawK68

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 pm
I'm not sure if this has been mention yet, but what do people think about fantasy that doesn't use magic? I don't like to use it because I feel it too easy of a plot device. When it comes to fantasy the world in which I create as well as it's creatures are the fantasy aspect. So would you guys read fantasy that didn't have magic in it?

User Image
yum_tea My Tea Blog yum_tea

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:52 pm
DayhawK68
I'm not sure if this has been mention yet, but what do people think about fantasy that doesn't use magic? I don't like to use it because I feel it too easy of a plot device. When it comes to fantasy the world in which I create as well as it's creatures are the fantasy aspect. So would you guys read fantasy that didn't have magic in it?

I would smile Tolkien's books were fantasy yet didn't hold a lot of magic, just a lot of presence of the gods of the universe. There's definitely nothing wrong with fantasy that doesn't have magic. Just write what you want, be happy with what you're putting so much effort into smile Don't let the conventions of society stop you from writing what you want heart

User Image

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

DayhawK68

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:01 am
cre8ive_ovadose
DayhawK68

I would smile Tolkien's books were fantasy yet didn't hold a lot of magic, just a lot of presence of the gods of the universe. There's definitely nothing wrong with fantasy that doesn't have magic. Just write what you want, be happy with what you're putting so much effort into smile Don't let the conventions of society stop you from writing what you want heart

User Image

Tee hee thank you heart I just figured that since there isn't a ton of fantasy fiction that doesn't use magic at all if anyone even reads fantasy without magic. lol Maybe I can start a trend. haha if only.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 am
You might smile You'll never know unless you try!! mrgreen  

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Shayymin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 pm
I love fantasy stories, and you could say that the story that I am writing is fantasy. It is about a girl in the normal regular world, but when a new kid comes to school, she gets suspicious of him.

Pretty much the new kid kidnaps her and takes her into a world just like ours, but made of shadow.

If you think of the Fablehaven preserve (from Fablehave) the Shadow World is almost like that, but with no caretaker.

I really love fantasy, and my Grandma keeps on telling me that I should start reading other genres, but fantasy will forever be my favorite whee  
Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff