Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadowed Intent

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:03 am
What do you think of men with parasols,
should i get one or not?
by the way i live in Australia...  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:25 pm
depends on what look you are going for....

Victorian? Edwardian? The Orient?

I own several parasols for different occasions, and I change them out on a whim. My current fancy is my large dragon print paper umbrella that I picked up at an event a few months ago. It travels with me in the car and gets brought out whenever the day gets too sunny and hot for my tastes.

Besides looking stylish, it helps block those pesky UV rays that like to burn us, so in reality, you're actually taking care of yourself by using one on a regular basis.....feel good about your choices.

(yep, i'm a dude and I use parasols....bumberchutes, umbrellas, ect. all just fancy words for something to keep the weather off your noggin.)  

Keevan Draco

Shadowed Intent

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:55 pm
Thank you for replying and I appreciate your advice
I am going for a Victorian look by the way.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:42 pm
Victorian....nice!!!

Check some Gentlemans clothiers (those fancy shops for the dapper gentleman) for a classic Umbrella. Preferably with the wooden handle.
It may be a bit pricey at those stores for an elegant umbrella for gentlemen. Your other option may be to check antique or second hand shops for used umbrellas tucked away in the remote corners of the shops.

As a last resort, you could pass with a modern umbrella, plain black handle so long as the handle is curved and not those sport grips that seem to pervasively exist in every store.

And don't worry what the other guys think....you'll be laughing your way to health while they suffer from horrific skin cancers from sun exposure in the long run. Enjoy the style, and enjoy your better health.

oh....I almost forgot....

At one time, in days past , A dapper chap in england devoped a martial art based upon the use of umbrellas. I looked like a cross between fencing, phillipino stick fighting, and judo. The forms were designed around using the umbrella to disarm, and incapacitate the agressor without actually injuring him. There were, however, several forms for use as a last resort in a life or death situation involving the umbrella that were, for lack of a better term, quite deadly.

ponder that posibillity when next you worry what the blokes will think about your fashion choices...  

Keevan Draco

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:16 pm
Since I don't dress in Victorian or Edwardian fashion, I personally don't carry around parasols or walking canes. As with anything else, if it fits your fancy just go along with it.

@KeevanSixx: Don't forget that you can also use sunscreen, large clothing, and hats. Parasols and umbrellas are not the only devices which block UV rays.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:22 pm
Thanks for the help smile
Your advice has been most useful.  

Shadowed Intent

Melainis

Thirteenth Codger

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 am
Since you are from Australia, I recommend that you visit this website:

A Bit Shady.

The Classic and Belle Lace parasols would complement a Victorian look very nicely. smile

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:54 pm
Thankyou very much for the link, I think i will buy one from there.  

Shadowed Intent

Melainis

Thirteenth Codger

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:39 pm
You're welcome.
smile

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:16 am
be sure to take vitamin D3  

AEtherclaw

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:48 am
G'day fellow Aussie!

I have a parasol. You should totally get one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:43 am
Shadowed Intent
What do you think of men with parasols,
should i get one or not?
by the way i live in Australia...

oo parasols
My boyfriend got me one for christmas
and I also am In Australia

I personal Don't have anything against men with parasols, brings out their more elegant side, but it looks better if your holding it over a lady to shade her from the sun

Also if your from Sydney way you should check out Gallery Serpintine's assortments in Newtown

~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~

5,700 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Satan on Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:20 pm
Well, from a woman's perspecive, I think a man carying a parasol is not a bad thing at all. It keeps your skin healthy and shows you actually take care of yourself. That and a lady friend could use it with you- I would if my boyfriend carried one.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:56 am
Quote:

I personal Don't have anything against men with parasols, brings out their more elegant side, but it looks better if your holding it over a lady to shade her from the sun

Hmmm, okay, my question now changes to where can I buy a lady? xd  

Shadowed Intent

Life Issues & Fashion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces