Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Sometimes I feel so alone...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 pm
I live in Wausau, Wisconsin and I'm a mom of three. In the whole city I only know one other veggie, a vegan named Annie. Unfortunately I don't get to see her very often.

Lately I've been struggling over whether or not it is worth breaking up with an otherwise completely awesome man just because he is not a vegetarian.

Your thoughts? sad  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:07 am
Well I'd never leave some one just because they weren't vegetarian/vegan. To me, as long as I love them, and we both had a good amount of respect for each others views then I'm happy smile

but I guess, if you're considering breaking up with him, there must be other reasons to feel like this, otherwise the thought wouldn't of crossed your mind.  

Resident Cup Cake

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:21 pm
Resident Cup Cake
Well I'd never leave some one just because they weren't vegetarian/vegan. To me, as long as I love them, and we both had a good amount of respect for each others views then I'm happy smile

but I guess, if you're considering breaking up with him, there must be other reasons to feel like this, otherwise the thought wouldn't of crossed your mind.
The main problem is that my kids are asking questions. Torri ( cool asks me, "Mom, why are you with Eric if he eats meat?" It all makes me feel like a horrible hypocrite.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:17 am
It doesn't make you a hypocrite to love a person who still eats meat. The most important thing is that he respects the fact that you're a vegetarian.
As long as he respects you and your vegetarian-ness, and if he's really as awesome as you say, there shouldn't be any reason to break up with him, right?
If your kids are asking questions, then it's the perfect opportunity to teach them tolerance, and tell them that it's okay to have friends who eat meat, right?  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:37 pm
Hlessirah
It doesn't make you a hypocrite to love a person who still eats meat. The most important thing is that he respects the fact that you're a vegetarian.
As long as he respects you and your vegetarian-ness, and if he's really as awesome as you say, there shouldn't be any reason to break up with him, right?
If your kids are asking questions, then it's the perfect opportunity to teach them tolerance, and tell them that it's okay to have friends who eat meat, right?
That's what I've been telling myself for years. sweatdrop I guess I just worry about the kids not ending up being vegetarian.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:23 pm
I know how you feeli only know one vegetarian and she just recently started to eat meat again. I feel very alone in my choice to stay a vegetarian, but thats one of the reasons i like this guild! I get to meet more vegetarians/vegans!  

boo u suck

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Arnemetia of Annwn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 am
If I were you, I wouldn't break up with him. I mean, if he respects your way of life, then that should be a plus, right?

I mean, I come from a family of carnivores (like my little brother will flip if there is a piece of vegetable on his plate and ask to send his burger or whatever back), but I would never disclose myself from the family.

It might be a good opportunity to take him to a vegetarian/vegan restaurant that way he could see your side of life. I was actually considering taking my family to this local vegan restaurant that only serves raw/uncooked food.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 am
I wouldn't break up with him, because we can't get everyone to become vegetarian. But, if he respects your views, I think that's enough ^_^ Overtime, you can try convincing him to be vegetarian.  

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:09 am
Ok, old thread, but I'll bite.

I am vegetarian, trying to go vegan. My partner is omni but admits that veg is best.

We have agreed that if we have a child we will raise him/her veg. He was worried about what the child would think of him since he eats meat and we would be telling him/her that it is wrong to do so. I told him that I would basically blame the meat. I'd explain that when he was growing up people didn't know as much as they do now. They didn't know how bad meat was. And once you eat meat, it can be a hard habit to break. So I'm going to explain it sort of like how I would explain cigarettes. It's bad to smoke them but not everyone who smokes is a bad person.

The way I see it, most people are not veg yet. So even if your partner is the most hardcore vegan, your kids are going to see people eating meat. Having a veg partner won't guarantee that your kids will be veg, just like how having an omni partner won't guarantee that your kids won't be veg. No matter what your partner eats, you still have to explain it and hope the kids make the right decision when they get older.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:11 am
I feel your pain, but I live in California! you'd think we'd have tons! but not near me :'(  

The REAL easter bunnuh

6,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items