Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Orockthro's Sketchbook [[Updated: May 17th 2008]] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:48 am
Your sketches are great. (I don't feel you need to cover the breast. The female breast is symbolic with life, just as the ocean is symbolic with life and renewal.

At this stage, I would do a value rough and a color rough. The value rough is just greyscale, so you can see what is light and what is dark. Values are just as (if not more) important than the colors. Then I would do a color rough, where you put down simple color, staying true to the values. I think when you do them you will make a decision on the sun. Right now, I rather like it being smaller and further out. Also, I think now that the ocean looks like an ocean, the image is more true to the title with the life imagery.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:06 am
Anetra_Pendragon:
That's a good idea for hiding her breast, but I think I'll stay away from adding in an arm at this point. 3nodding At the moment, I can use the ocean and the rocks, if I decide to, to make her more...'presentable'. whee
That would really be the only reason I'd cover her up: if I felt that I wouldn't be able to show my family my painting otherwise. I'm still in mental debate. 3nodding I really like her breast being bare and I'd like to leave it like that.

Errol:
You are always amazingly helpful. heart
I'll give the value and the color roughs a shot and then I'll begin the final. We'll see what happens. (It's tough not to just throw paint on a brush and start. I can get so impatient it's just silly. xd )
(Thanks for noticing the title. xd )

Orockthro

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:36 am
About the girls hair: If you could blend the two thumbnails (woman and ocean) toghether, it would be awesome. The hair ending in some realistic rendition of ocean waves... Maybe overused, but still a classic.

Why a pipe? Uncanny, but it makes a very good focal point. Looks like some tobacco advertisement. biggrin

I'd say to leave out the sun completely. You have a lot going in there already.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:13 pm
The Martian
About the girls hair: If you could blend the two thumbnails (woman and ocean) toghether, it would be awesome. The hair ending in some realistic rendition of ocean waves... Maybe overused, but still a classic.

Why a pipe? Uncanny, but it makes a very good focal point. Looks like some tobacco advertisement. biggrin

I'd say to leave out the sun completely. You have a lot going in there already.

As I said in the post, I'm repainting the entire thing by, more or less, combining the two images. With a bunch else, of course. The ocean thumbnail was actually just a study for the final.
3nodding
I like pipes. xd They symbolize strength and masculinity to me and you don't often see women with them (which is good... smoking being bad and all) so it's all the more 'weird' and attention grabbing.
I see your point about leaving the sun out, but I really feel that I need it there to balance out my composition. Without the sun, everything I have is mostly on the left and bottom. whee
Thanks for your comments and critiques!
heart

Orockthro

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:46 pm
Well, if the canvas is going to be expanded, put the sun. But not near any of her face or whatnot. Cause it's gonna be weird.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:38 pm
3nodding
If you check out the sketch I posted a while back it will give you an idea of what I plan on doing. The sun won't be too near her face I've decided.

Orockthro

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:24 pm
Saw it, still too near. I feel that the sun could look better as an independent entity rather than hidden behind her hair.

But that's just me. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:51 pm
The Martian
Saw it, still too near. I feel that the sun could look better as an independent entity rather than hidden behind her hair.

But that's just me. biggrin

That's an interesting idea and probably very true. I'm pretty set on the idea of a sunrise, however and things are too far in the process for me to change that. 3nodding
Thank you very much for your critique and your opinions - I appreciate everything I can get!
heart

Orockthro

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas