Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Cutting Out

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aranel-Raina

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:13 am
I was just wondering what foods people cut out of their diet completely.

I have been attempting to cut back on lots of things (most of which failed cause it's all they serve at college) like fried food and fast food, breaded foods, etc.

I completely cut out soda for months but recently slipped up. *grrness* I am going to return to my no soda state though. I used to drink it like a fish so I figure not having it at all is better for me now.

But what else is good a give up? Anything specific? What did you give up or cut back severely on that helped you lose weight?  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:49 am
I cut out butter and Soda, I was never a huge fan of either, so it wasn't that hard. I cut out french fries and chocolate for a really long time. Because I needed to break my addiction. I use to eat fries everyday with every meal except breakfast. I'd come home from school and for snack I'd make myself an ice cream sunday with chocolate and sprinkles, chocolate snack, chocolate deserts. I was sooo bad. Now I allow myself every once in a while. If I'm at a nice restaurant and it's a special occasion I'll have some chocolate cake. I try to steer clear of fried foods, so I'll let myself eat homes fries but french fries are only on very rare occasions.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:44 pm
I haven't cut out any food at all from my diet. The trick isn't to deprive yourself of things that you love, but rather, to be mindful of proper portion sizes. Also, to make sure that foods like sodas, cheesecake, double-cheese nachos, and the like are occasional treats, rather than habitual meal substitutes. If you stick to the Good Health Guidelines (which I posted on page 1 of the Weight Watchers Discussion thread) all during the week, treat yourself to a small 'extra' on Friday or Saturday. A slice of bread with real butter; a small piece of cheesecake; a burger and fries; an egg roll; a small milkshake.

If you feel deprived of the foods that you love, sooner or later you'll give up on even the best, tastiest diet in the world, and you'll binge on a truckload of foods that will contribute to weight gain. But if you allow yourself one weekly splurge, you'll find that any diet or nutrition plan is manageable. Remember, you want to live thin for the rest of your life -- not live the rest of your life to be thin.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:46 pm
I don't cut out, try cutting IN.

Instead of saying "I won't have blah," why not say "I'll have Blah, but I'll have it with a salad/apple/other piece of fruit or whatever."

So cut the portion of 'blah' in half and add in something plant based and awesome instead.

: D  

Lady Schist

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:05 am
Deprived, in my opinion, a word you should strike from your vocabulary.
Hardy anyone in North America or Europe is deprived of anything, ESPECIALLY not food.
People in third world countries suffer deprevation, denying yourself a slice of chocolate cake is definately not deprivation.

Thinking that eating a bit of something you like is going to make your life any fuller is just setting yourself up for unhealthy food mentality. This is years of social programming telling you 'I need food to be happy' because for thousands of years everything was celebrated with feasting. Food was a sign of wealth, and status.

I highly suggest a book called 'Thin Tastes Better' it goes into a lot of detail about the social stigma attached to overreating.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 am
I haven't really cut out anything completely. I don't think it works to try and cut off a food you actually like. Because as soon as you're at your target weight, you're going to think it's okay to eat that food again and binge on it. Or at least that's how it is with me.

I just limit it, which isn't too hard. With cakes and such, I don't buy them and my parents don't really much either except for birthdays, so I eat maybe one piece at a party. Ice creams the hard one though. I'm addicted to ice cream. Though it's easier if it's just, like, normal ice cream than if it's an ice cream bar.

Though I have cut out a lot of canned and microwavable foods because they make me feel sick. Like Chef Boyardee and Hot Pockets.  

Serafim_Azriel

Supertheory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:55 pm
Whenever I want soda, I drink water in stead. I'm not a fan of soda, I just want something cold to drink, and soda is the cheapest.

I'm trying to cut back on the sugar in my coffee, and I've switched from cream to non-fat milk.

I've replaced ice cream on a hot day with a small slurpee (goodbye 330 cal, 25g of fat and 25g of sugar for 1/2c.)

I've also "cut" busing and getting rides when I can easily walk to and from where I want to be (under 20 minutes)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 am
I've been working on cutting out dairy from my life entirely. Mostly because I don't agree with milk farms and what not. But it's also another step in my master plan to be veganish.

Milk? Soy milk (Silk is my brand of choice) chocolate silk (soy milk) is WONDERFUL
Cream? Silk (same brand) has a lovely coffee creamer that gives coffee a really nice nutty kind of taste.
Ice cream? ... wow. I'm getting really ... repetitive here. Soy ice cream has 100 cal, 2.5 g fat, 13 g sugar. It also has Iron, Protein, and Calcium. What's more is that I eat LESS of it because it's more expensive for less so it's become an actual treat in the real sense, AND my room mate doesn't eat it!
Cheese I have been slowly cutting out of my diet, I eat less cheese than I ever did before.

Yogurt has remained my greatest problem... I just love it so much. But I had a really good tip on good soy yogurt from a guy I met... so I'm going to try it. ._. I don't really anticipate much, soy yogurt is usually disgusting.  

Lady Schist

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games