xxExadusxx

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 pm
My band consists of five guys...

Joe (me)- Drummer, backing vocals
Trev- Lead guitar, screamer
Brian- Lead vocals
Ben- Bass
Kyle- rythm guitar

And in our band, we seem to have talent and the ability to get better BUT there is one thing that is holding us back; we can't stay focused. We do live shows at schools in our area and play our own material, but it's the practice that kills us. We just basically goof around. Trev and I are the only ones that stay focused. The rest just play incohearent notes and we get nowhere. But the funny thing is, we perform great.

Is there anything wrong with this?

Are there any techniques you guys use to stay focused at band practice?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:54 am
well, yea, theres a few, get new band mates, or have a group meeting, tell them how you feel. If they don't feel the same, then maybe you shouldn't be in a band with them. It's tough love, but it's what has to be done.  

Euphagus

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Awesome Comes Standard

Mega Smoker

8,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:52 am
I prefer to use a swift kick in the teeth.

But seriously, just tell them that they should get more focused during practices. If they don't, and they're good friends, I'm sure you can work something out soon enough. If they don't and you wouldn't blink twice at dropping them, do it the moment a replacement opportunity arises. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:25 pm
You need more band members. And get some girls. Not one of those girls that is obsessed with make-up and what not. A down-to-earth girl. They stay focused. And a girl that will say things like "Hey! Practice or I'll kick your teeth out!" and things like that. It works.  

GoldenEyes051

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:40 pm
my band had the same problem. once we kicked out the kid* we got a lot accomplished.

*he was never even suppose to be in the band. he is friends with out lead vocals and basically invited himself into the band  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:33 pm
Heh I find myself having that problem. I'm part of a trio, and for some reason whenever two of us want to work on music the other one doesn't. It's hard because of work schedules and the like, but you just have to keep trying.

Or if your members refuse to work with you, then kick them out and put an ad out in your local paper looking for a replacement.  

Hippeh Panda

GoldenEyes051

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:05 am
I'm in a band of three, and we all have the same ideas and so we get along well. We already have a website, YouTube channel, email, and a few songs! It's going really well.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:28 pm
I think everyone is right. The most effective way of dealing with it is to talk it out, and if that doesn't work, try using an iron fist at practice, and if possible give them "homework" or just hand them material right there that they can't screw up.....if they're at all serious, they will work on it. I have been in two or so bands like that. Get together, play a few random notes......one person plays one thing over and over and everyone follows into some crappy jam and we all scream at the end abut how great it was....hahahhaha...nothing accomplished.

long story short.....

1.) Talk
2.) material list
3.) The FIST!
4.) THE BOOT!

oh, and make sure you keep your eyes open for ANY new, better additions. You may be friends with the guys in the band, but that isn't always conducive to a stable band environment. They should understand if you kick them for someone better.  

Septdactyly

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:38 am
GoldenEyes051
I'm in a band of three, and we all have the same ideas and so we get along well. We already have a website, YouTube channel, email, and a few songs! It's going really well.

lol. i like how she said "we already have" like its hard to make a myspace and youtube.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm
On This Night
GoldenEyes051

lol. i like how she said "we already have" like its hard to make a myspace and youtube.

you're on myspace? wow... you must be famous!!!!!  

skumskull

Dapper Businessman

The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces