The Bible and Opinions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boadicea Boudicca

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:31 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Valley, I find your position on the Bible to be very interesting (I read your join request). You realize that without the Bible we have nothing, right? Sure, anyone can claim to hear God, usually they're schizophrenic or otherwise delusional (there are some genuine prophets though, I'm not claiming that), but the Bible has everything that God wants for us. All of the standards God wants us to strive for. It was written by men, but inspired by God. Dictated, if you will.

I'm not trying to bash or judge or anything like that; I'm just trying to understand how, as a Christian, you find the Bible to be sketchy at best.
It is not that I do not read the bible, it is that I look at it very closely. There are many parts I believe, but their are others I feel the Apostles put in for their own reasons. It was inspired by God, as you say. However, men wrote it, and their are parts I believe God would have never dictated. Basically, I read the bible, but their are passages I do not belive, and passages I do believe.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:47 pm
For example?  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Boadicea Boudicca

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:54 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
For example?

Noahs Ark= I can believe. They might have even found the ark.
Moses freeing the slaves from Egypt and the Plauges= I believe it.
Sodom and Gammora= I doubt it.
Creationism= I believe that God was the one RESPONSIBLE for evolution, so you know where I stand here.
David and Goliath= I believe in the figurative meaning (underdog wins)  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:06 pm
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
For example?

Creationism= I believe that God was the one RESPONSIBLE for evolution, so you know where I stand here.

Why don't you believe the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? And you do know that there is a hormone/growth deficiency that causes some people to be "giants", right? A famous boxer had it, but he didn't live very long (past 30, I think) because, as you can imagine, it place way too much stress on his organs, especially his heart and I think his brain as well. What's to say that this problem didn't exist 4000 or more years ago? If you hit someone between the eyes hard enough, you can kill them, but even moreso in individuals with "giantism." I can't remember why, but if you look up "scientific explanation for David and Goliath" I'm sure you'll find the answer.

But basically what you mean when you say you don't believe in some parts of the Bible is that you don't take them literally. Which is completely different from just ignoring it altogether. Like you, I believe that the Creation in Genesis could be more figurative, but I don't care either way. I just know that God did it, one way or the other, and that's enough for me. 3nodding

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Boadicea Boudicca

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:28 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
For example?

Why don't you believe the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? And you do know that there is a hormone/growth deficiency that causes some people to be "giants", right? A famous boxer had it, but he didn't live very long (past 30, I think) because, as you can imagine, it place way too much stress on his organs, especially his heart and I think his brain as well. What's to say that this problem didn't exist 4000 or more years ago? If you hit someone between the eyes hard enough, you can kill them, but even moreso in individuals with "giantism." I can't remember why, but if you look up "scientific explanation for David and Goliath" I'm sure you'll find the answer.

But basically what you mean when you say you don't believe in some parts of the Bible is that you don't take them literally. Which is completely different from just ignoring it altogether. Like you, I believe that the Creation in Genesis could be more figurative, but I don't care either way. I just know that God did it, one way or the other, and that's enough for me. 3nodding
A sling is DESIGNED to kill, so I know that part. The thing is, Goliath would not have just stood there and let David take the shot. David would have stood and swung his sling around, and Goliath would have charged and smashed him while he did so.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 am
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
For example?

A sling is DESIGNED to kill, so I know that part. The thing is, Goliath would not have just stood there and let David take the shot. David would have stood and swung his sling around, and Goliath would have charged and smashed him while he did so.
Unless Goliath was arrogant enough to think that puny little David couldn't do anything and he happened to be ina good mood and decide to be 'sporting' and let david have a fair shot. He might have even thought that sucking up the hit would make him look tougher in the eyes of the onlookers.

Pride can really make people do some stupid things.
I should know ^^;

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:44 am
Ixor-san
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
For example?

Unless Goliath was arrogant enough to think that puny little David couldn't do anything and he happened to be ina good mood and decide to be 'sporting' and let david have a fair shot. He might have even thought that sucking up the hit would make him look tougher in the eyes of the onlookers.

I should know ^^;

I know the film 'Troy' isn't a documentary and it's likely that historical events were somewhat tweaked due to poetic licence, but I believe it's feasible that armies chose a hero from either side to fight in order to judge which army was stronger without shedding unnecessary blood. I wonder if this is what happened between David and Goliath. confused  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 pm
Ixor-san
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
Valley of the Kings
Fushigi na Butterfly
For example?

I should know ^^;

Ah, touche. Nice rebuttal, I stand corrected.  

Boadicea Boudicca

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces