Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Limely's Sketchbook Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Limely

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:03 am
True. x3 I don't really care about the prize either, just winning was good enough for me. Heck, just getting this contest launched was a victory for me. xD;  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:10 pm
Aquarelle: Careful with the brushing. There are white areas (top left), and sometimes visible signs of, you know, ink blotches (bottom right).

Also, the sunset would have given a yellow tint to everything, so the leaves were maybe a little bit too blue overall.

Else it looks pretty well.  

Mogtoats

Limely

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:41 pm
Thanks for the crits, Martian. :3

Mmmhyeah, so here I return, with a new sketch.
User Image
I'm gonna fix his right eyebrow, no worries there... Am also gonna make him a little bit old and wrinkly, maybe.
Argh Kung Fu Panda fanart. I tried to resist, but that little elderly red panda, with his huge ears and bushy tail and itty bitty round paw-feet proved to be simply unresistable. *bows head in shame* Maybe one day I'll pull myself together and actually do some originals, but for now... *cough*
Anyways. I had a lot of fun with the sketch, and I think colouring will be just as enjoyable.
I'd really love some advice on the composition though, before I start inking it and stuff.

I was planning to colour it with aquarelles, using browns, greens and yellows mostly. Earthly colours. The sky I was planning to leave just blank for the sake of simplicity.

So... any advice or crits or anything are welcome. :3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:14 am
User Image
Urrr, sorry, I was bored so I just continued.
This is one of the rare cases were I actually like the lineart better than the sketch. That doesn't happen every day...
Anyways, I tried to replicate the feeling of a sort of chinese ink-painting here, and I think it came out fairly well.
Uhm yeah, I'm on a roll, I feel, so I'm probably just gonna wrap this up completely so that I can feel really proud of myself and accomplished for the rest of the day. x3;;

Edit: Uuuh and then I finished it too. x3;;
User Image

Limely

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:45 am
Ahahahaha. That movie was epic fail cute. LOLLOLLOL. And I always thought that Shi Fu was a rat. D:

For the finished pic: Choppy lines? They aren't smooth. What did you ink them with? Eyebrows: Sorry to say that, but looks that someone just went there and erased them with liquid paper. I know you were going for white. Background: I'd see this with more sky, rather than just pure white.

I prefer the sketch cause it had more details about the shading.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:45 pm
whee Sorry I didn't comment earlier. Luckily, I don't think my suggestions would have been very helpful. xd

Like you said - I love your inks... and greatly envy your ability to have such fun line widths and quality.
Do you use dip pens?
You totally capture the feeling of a Chinese silk painting. Totally.

I have yet to see the movie (I know...) but from what I've seen, you seem to have captured his character wonderfully! heart

I love his eyes/eye area - nice. Very nice.

Originally I thought it would have been nice for you to plop some great yellows in that sky behind him, but I like your decision to leave it blank too. 3nodding It worked out very nice!

I really can't think of any crits. xd I guess that's good.
Oh, wait, I have to take that back.

Your balance is something that could be examened again. 3nodding The red panda is leaning to our right, the bamboo is extra visible on the right, and the sun is also off to the right hand side of the page. Ouch.
In the sketch the balancing wasn't so much on an issue because the panda cast a prominent shadow... that was going to the left, but since you nixed that in the final version, we're left feeling a bit wobbly. xd
Which is okay, as long as you're aware of how it effects the viewer.
3nodding
If you want to fix it, though, adding in the shadow would help. Plus, it's something I think you can actually do at this stage. Any other suggestions would be rather bunk... seeing as you're done. xd

I'd normally suggest that you shade a bit more, but since you're going for the Chinese silk painting look, color fill is more than acceptable. xd
Besides - it looks cool.

<3

Great job!
3nodding
Sorry for the crappy crit... I just honestly can't find a lot to say. Especially since you're done with it now.

P.S.
You should do more things with that inking style - it really works for you!

Orockthro

Limely

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 pm
The Martian
Ahahahaha. That movie was epic fail cute. LOLLOLLOL. And I always thought that Shi Fu was a rat. D:

For the finished pic: Choppy lines? They aren't smooth. What did you ink them with? Eyebrows: Sorry to say that, but looks that someone just went there and erased them with liquid paper. I know you were going for white. Background: I'd see this with more sky, rather than just pure white.

I prefer the sketch cause it had more details about the shading.

Lal, I thought he was a squirrel at first. He's certainly very rodent-like.

The lines weren't really supposed to be too smooth, but I guess it wouldn't hurt if they were a bit smoother, so the choppiness is merely a product of my untrained hand... xD;
Lal, the eyebrows were fail, I admit. It's just that I went over there with a brown colour first, and I sorta needed to make them whiter with something. And believe me, this white looks better that what it was with that brown, haha... |D;

Thanks for the crits! :3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 pm
Orockthro
whee Sorry I didn't comment earlier. Luckily, I don't think my suggestions would have been very helpful. xd

Like you said - I love your inks... and greatly envy your ability to have such fun line widths and quality.
Do you use dip pens?
You totally capture the feeling of a Chinese silk painting. Totally.

I have dip pens but I don't use them much. For this I used a watercolour-brush. :3

Orockthro

I have yet to see the movie (I know...) but from what I've seen, you seem to have captured his character wonderfully! heart

I love his eyes/eye area - nice. Very nice.

Originally I thought it would have been nice for you to plop some great yellows in that sky behind him, but I like your decision to leave it blank too. 3nodding It worked out very nice!

I really can't think of any crits. xd I guess that's good.
Oh, wait, I have to take that back.

Your balance is something that could be examened again. 3nodding The red panda is leaning to our right, the bamboo is extra visible on the right, and the sun is also off to the right hand side of the page. Ouch.
In the sketch the balancing wasn't so much on an issue because the panda cast a prominent shadow... that was going to the left, but since you nixed that in the final version, we're left feeling a bit wobbly. xd
Which is okay, as long as you're aware of how it effects the viewer.
3nodding
If you want to fix it, though, adding in the shadow would help. Plus, it's something I think you can actually do at this stage. Any other suggestions would be rather bunk... seeing as you're done. xd

I was thinking maybe adding a cloud or two at the left side of the painting would do the trick?
Anyways, I really can't do much with this painting now, even though I'd really love to, since, heh, my grandmother bought it. First painting I've ever sold that I wasn't commisioned to do... :0

Orockthro

I'd normally suggest that you shade a bit more, but since you're going for the Chinese silk painting look, color fill is more than acceptable. xd
Besides - it looks cool.

<3

Great job!
3nodding
Sorry for the crappy crit... I just honestly can't find a lot to say. Especially since you're done with it now.

P.S.
You should do more things with that inking style - it really works for you!

I thought it was a nice crits. (: Helpful as always. Thank you.

I really felt so too, first of all, because it was actually fun. Normaly inking has felt more like a chore for me, and one thing that really keeps me away from finishing pieces. This though, was really fun. I also felt that I managed to convey shape and form very well this way.
So I'm definitively going to experiment and practise this inking style more. (:

Limely

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:23 am
Hm. I think something was lost when you changed his eye direction off the butterfly.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff