Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Kuropuu's Sketchdump ( new : 4/18 )

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visitor Count
  + 1
View Results

Kuruupo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Signed Name: Cin
Education: Junior in Highschool
Medias of Interest: Digital, pencil, watercolor, color pencil, copics
Medias in improvement: Digital, watercolor, acrylics

Gallery:
deviantart - where most of my finished works are posted.
sheezyart - where finished, nonfinished, and random doodles that arent posted on dA are posted.

Art Education Level:
2 years of art classes in Highschool, currently enrolled in Art 2. Recently started taking life drawing classes.

Commentary:
My friend's been saying that I've improved a lot this year on drawing people. But I still have problems drawing anatomy in certain poses, hands, feet, and legs. They're just some things that I just cant understand how to draw no matter how many tutorials and tips I follow. I'm also trying to get a better sense of composition and creativity as my people are known to be "statues".

o+ I can take all critiques and comments, no matter the harshness. (slap me if I cant)
o+ I will question back to some critiques but sometimes it comes out a little too harsh so dont take them the wrong way.
o+ I may not respond back to some critiques. Dont take that the wrong way either.
o+ I may ask for certain areas for critiques instead of others. I ask of you to please try and critique in the areas I ask for instead of others.

o-> As of 4/18, I'm busy with school testing, homework, and getting stuff done for fanime. I may forget to check the thread every now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:49 pm

// Excuse the gigantic image size.

// Main area in need of help: Watercoloring background.

The background includes of a moon, a few cartoon-like clouds, and a ton of stars. The effect I'm trying to get for the background is similar to this. My guess is to first mask the moon and clouds, do a wet on wet technique with colors of blue, purple, bits of green and red. Then do a splatter of white, light yellow, and light blue for the stars. Then soften the edges around the moon and clouds.

My problem is that I suck with the wet and wet technique as I never get the results I want, and I suck with splattering. Attempted, failed many times. I'm probably doing it wrong too.

Question is, how do you use the watercolor to get it to the effect described/shown and splattering paint.

//And yes, this will be done on watercolor paper. (actually I already transfered it to watercolor paper)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Kuruupo

Anetra_Pendragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:14 pm
I can't help you with the wet on wet; honestly all I can tell you re: watercolouring backgrounds is to make sure you have some nice, big brushes (obvious, I know). Splattering, though, I don't know if this will help you or not but I can link you to a tutorial or two on the subject,
http://mythchan.deviantart.com/art/Splatter-Technique-Tutorial-74680674
http://mangarevolution.com/tutorial_display.php?tutorial_id=60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Oh thanks!
I remember seeing those tutorials before, but totally lost the links and forgot who made them.

// This was done a few weeks ago. The anatomy doesnt look right D:
And it's suppose to cut off on the right side.
And I'm pretty sure that's not how lenalee's uniform looks like.. but oh well x__x"

User Image

Kuruupo

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:12 pm
I like your style first off. The moon in the cloud in your first picture are pretty.

In your new picture I think you did a good job at making a believable light source. The first thing I noticed as far as anatomy is that your face looks a little squished. I think the mouth needs to be moved down, and maybe even just a tad on the nose too.
The body looks great to me, I think it's mostly the head that's off. There's not enough space for a neck to exist. If you want the collar to be high you might also want to extend that a little bit as well.
But anywayz, good job. I like the picture over all 3nodding  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff