Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Need Advice for a Space Marine Army

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NJ6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 pm
My army is basically a space marine one with a paint scheme that looks similar to the Ultramarines, but with a few different customizations. I am fairly new, but someone at my local game store gave me some techniques for painting, such as drybrushing for a dirt and weathered effect. However, the way he tought me makes too much paint come off and pretty much ruin the coat I just finished putting on. Could someone please give me some advice on getting some good drybrushing technique for dirt, as well as for painting minute details such as scratches in armor, pupils for eyes, and any other things I might want to put on? Thank you.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:59 pm
If the paint is coming off like that you might not be giving it enough time to dry.  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

NJ6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:23 pm
Sorry if I misspoke. The paint isn't coming off the model, it's coming of the brush too much and giving a full coat instead of the dusted effect its supposed to have.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:50 am
ah, that is because you have too much on the brush, practice makes perfect, but if you put the paint on the brush, then wipe it onto a tissue or something until almost none is left to come off onto it, then it works fine, that is drybrushing

or to save paint, wipe it around the rim of the pot for later use, but otheise make sure that there is almost none coming off before painting the effect onto the  

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

PyroXTech

Questionable Genius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:35 pm
A hint when drybrushing, if you dip the brush in slightly and then wipe it onto a napkin or paper towel until you can see barely anything might help you prevent it from being so thick. On another note, though this doesn't help with the drybrushing problem I find that adding a bit of water too thicker paints such as boltgun metal and bleached bone makes them come out much cleaner when you paint it on. Hope it helps.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:55 pm
Thank you very much for the advice. Will try the paper towel technique on the next batch I will have primed soon. Right now though I have a few that need finishing details, as well as a Land Raider Crusader interior that needs painting.  

NJ6

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff