Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Persusive speech on why we're obligated to be veg*n.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loony x lovegood
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Okay, I'm doing a persuasive speech for my communications speech on why we're morally obligated to be veg*n. I have 7-8 minutes to speak & I'm showing a 2 minute clip from "Meet Your Meat", which means I have about 5-6 minutes to speak. I'm having a really hard time with the introduction, which I plan on doing "Imagine you're..." then describing how the animals we kill/abuse for food live. I'm having an extremely hard time describing the conditions and I'm hoping somebody could help me.

I'm also trying to decide whether to cover why not to eat eggs and dairy as well, given the amount of time I have. It's definitely important but I'm worried I won't have enough time to thoroughly cover my arguments and the audience won't be as receptive.

I'm bringing in vegan cupcakes, vegetarian starter guides, and fliers about the egg industry. Any suggestions? This is an extremely important issue, I have a captive audience, and I don't want to ******** this speech up or leave out anything important.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:41 pm
in the book diet for a new america, it uses a really good metaphor. It went along the lines of "imagine standing in an elevator with ten other people. The floor is slanted so that everyone is falling on top of eachother. You have been in this elevator for days. There is no lighting. Then, to top it off, one of the people in the elevator with you has gone insane and has resorted to cannibalism." I thought the elevator part made it a lot closer to home because if you say "cage," people will instantly think of animals.  

[[blunt.object]]

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:03 pm
I really think that blunt.object's metaphor would be good to use. I have seen similar metaphors used in other animal rights books, and I think that by putting humans in those situations, it makes it easier for people to comprehend and makes it more difficult for them to just brush it off by saying "they're only animals!"

I would also reccomend not getting into the philisophical side of animal rights all that much, as it may turn people off to the idea. Just cover basic ethical concerns. heart

Best of luck to you with your project! heart  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, the speech went great. (:
Later in the day (I was carrying around a box of my extra vegetarian starter kits & fliers) some people asked me what was in the box & when I told them, they asked to have some because they wanted to try vegetarianism. Even some men, which seems to be uncommon due to the association of masculinity and meat.

loony x lovegood
Crew

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces