Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

books
  are great
View Results

coolwickedz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:06 pm
I don't know about the words being more larger; it's just
like if you are from the olden times and you read books, say, from the future. They'd probably think that our words are more larger then theirs... But I haven't noticed the complexity of their work from authors that write of the past. (J.R.R Tolkien) For me it's just like other books that i read, except the words... It kind of annoys me that the words can't be modern... I have to look abck and read it all over again; I'm not saying that's bad, but it slows my reading by a lot. surprised

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:28 am
The reason why Tolkien's writing is so intense is because he was a philologist, a studier of words. He also knew several languages, including dead languages like Latin and Anglo-Saxon. He was a professor like C.S.Lewis and Lewis Carol. Most writers back then were professors. Or they were obsessed with words like Nathaniel Hawthorne who shut himself up in his room most of his life recording words for situations and plots. That's why when you're reading their works you will often stumble on a word that you have never heard before. They are teaching you through whimsical stories that will hopefully draw your attention more than a lecture in class. Or just cause they write what they love heart

"We are being at once wisely aware of our own frivolity if we avoid hitting and whacking and prefer 'striking' and 'smiting'; talk and chat and prefer 'speech' and 'discourse'; well-bred, brilliant, or polite noblemen (visions of snobbery columns in the Press, and fat men on the Riviera) and prefer the 'worthy, brave and courteous men' of long ago." ~J.R.R.Tolkien on justification of a high style of writing

Modern Writing today is as NightIntent said, people today "want movies, TV shows, graphic novels, Spark-Notes, whatever other shortcuts there are." And novelists today don't need to be skilled in English Literature, they just have to know how to entertain the reader. And that today means using simpler words. All the new writers worry about is if it will sell. Classic Novelists were doing it for the love of writing.

heart heart heart  

Lunar_Aphrodite

Lunar_Aphrodite

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 am
One thing I cannot abide though is Mark Twain. Oh god, now there is a guy that can go on and on about imagery descriptions. Sometimes I wish he would just summarize his super long paragraph descriptions into one sentence. Please, I'd rather get into the story now scream

Ah well, I wish he was alive so I could debate this fact with him xd  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:28 am
I don't think all the current writers think about is whether it will sell. You have to love what you do to be truly good at it. And any published author has had to think about what will or won't sell. What's popular now wouldn't have been popular back in say Charles Dicken's time.  

Wissakins

Lunar_Aphrodite

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:40 am
So true, I forget, there are some exceptions biggrin  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items