Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Biggest Loser

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Soi Tsuba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:53 pm
How do they do it? How can anyone honestly let themselves go that badly, especially in a society like today.

I guess it's just my major that makes me very aware of weight, but don't you notice when your pants don't fit like they used to? I've been on a hiatus for the past four months but i maintained my weight and only gained a pound since december. How? Because if my pants ever felt tight I'd go back to eating healthier. Like giving up soda or candy.

What I'm trying to say is how do they do this, how do they go so beyond obesity that they have 1 or two other people's weight in them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:34 pm
medical factors such as clinical depression, hyperthyrodism, and stress can all contribute to obesity. Certain medications. Some traditional cooking methods, Upbringing. Genetic factors. Lack of education about nutrition and exercise in schools. Agressive marketing of 'quick' and fatty foods.

Not every obese person just 'let themself go' there are a host of medical, social and psychological factors that can contribute to obesity. Did you know that a person with an obese friend is something like, more than 0 more likely to become obese themself?

I'm sure it's not just a matter of 'giving up soda and candy' for people who are morbidly obese. Counselling and education more like.

Not a big fan of biggest loser. Hell, anyone could lose 50lbs with a personal trianer and nutritionist screaming at them daily. I also think most people just watch that show because they want to justify their own weight issues "At least im not THAT fat." etc

Some facts on the causes of obesity;
http://www.obesityfocused.com/articles/about-obesity/causes-of-obesity.php  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Madame de Sousa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 pm
I think the biggest loser is motivating. I ride my stationary bike while watching it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:13 am
I think I can speak to this, since at my highest weight, I needed to lose 100 pounds. I was medically obese, although not morbidly obese. How in the world does that happen to a former dancer, someone who used to take four dance classes every single day, then go out dancing at the clubs on weekends just to let off steam?

1. I acquired a health problem that made it difficult to dance, then difficult to run, then difficult to walk, then difficult to stand. At first it was just a little uncomfortable, but after fifteen years of this "little," "easy-to-solve" problem (easy to solve if you've got medical insurance or some other way to pay for it, that is), it was excruciating. I'd have a surgery on it every six to twelve months, hoping to get rid of the underlying issue. What it did instead was give me a perpetually open wound that would burst open any time I got my heart rate and blood pressure up by doing anything dangerous, such as exercising. Believe me, fifteen years with any health problem, you'll be fat too.

2. Thanks to the health problem and loss of the ability to exercise, I lost my then-significant other, who couldn't understand why I was "letting myself go" like that, or why I suddenly didn't want to go out dancing, hiking, biking, or jogging together anymore. We'd built our relationship on the common ground that was sports, and when it dried up, J just decided I wasn't worth the effort of finding something else in common.

3. I lost my dance scholarship, of course. I also lost the ability to be in theatrical productions that involved dance, and I stopped getting the parts for the pretty girl in the play. Soon I couldn't stand long enough to even be the ugly old fat lady in the play. Did I mention I was a performance major in college? Yeah. That entire career line is pretty much gone, shattering every dream I'd had since the age of three, when I appeared onstage for the first time. Every life goal I'd ever had was gone. You try to live normally after knowing, at twenty, that you'll never have what you want in life, that everything you get now will be a very distant second choice.

4. Those losses, health problems, and the fears associated with them, not to mention a horrible new self-image as the Fat Girl, lead to clinical depression. Depression hurts physically, it hurts emotionally, and it makes it very hard for other people to want to be around the depressed person. Sadly, other people can often be an inspiration for the depressed to get help, or at least to begin to heal themselves simply by thinking of themselves as someone who's got friends. I couldn't see the end of any problems. I really, truly felt like I would never be cheerful, happy, or fulfilled in any way again. For Harry Potter fans: Depression is, on a very long-term basis, what Harry experienced for only a few seconds at the hands of the Dementors. It is the most rotten, bleak feeling in the world.

So basically, I laid down and rested my unhealthy body, until finally my parents realized I was actually sick, and ponied up for a doctor. That doctor got me just barely healthy enough to move to another city, where I felt I could start fresh, and started to see that though there were clouds as far as I could see, there were some sunny patches here and there. I wasn't over the depression, but I could see that someday I might be, so it was worth starting to make the effort to find the end of it, instead of willing myself into an early grave. I found love. I found a better job. I found things that interested me, that weren't related to dance (that dream is over; you can't go back to something that requires lifelong fitness, and I have lost 15 years of my youthful bones and musculature).

Two years ago, I also found Weight Watchers. I found it at just the right time, when I was receptive to the ideas and the methods, and I was able to see that I could get healthy again. Sure, I've only lost about 50 pounds, but by golly I have gotten my life back.

My point is: Don't judge harshly when you see someone who's "let themselves go." Don't look at the fat. Look at the person who has health problems, who's been abused lifelong, who endured an assault that made them suddenly not want to be beautiful and eye-catching to anybody anymore, who just had her second or fifth or eleventh miscarriage and hates the body that gives her such hope and then dashes it...

You have no idea what thing, or what series of things, a fat person has been through. You have no idea what pain he or she has endured in the past, what trauma or sadness they're still enduring. And you have no idea how much it hurts to have a perfect stranger look right at you, sweep their eyes over your body, and wrinkle their nose in disgust -- as if the only thing you ever had to offer the world was a pretty body, and now you don't even have that. It isn't true, not by a long shot, but it still stings.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:39 am
Groovy Spleen
medical factors such as clinical depression, hyperthyrodism, and stress can all contribute to obesity. Certain medications. Some traditional cooking methods, Upbringing. Genetic factors. Lack of education about nutrition and exercise in schools. Agressive marketing of 'quick' and fatty foods.

Not every obese person just 'let themself go' there are a host of medical, social and psychological factors that can contribute to obesity. Did you know that a person with an obese friend is something like, more than 0 more likely to become obese themself?

I'm sure it's not just a matter of 'giving up soda and candy' for people who are morbidly obese. Counselling and education more like.

Not a big fan of biggest loser. Hell, anyone could lose 50lbs with a personal trianer and nutritionist screaming at them daily. I also think most people just watch that show because they want to justify their own weight issues "At least im not THAT fat." etc

Some facts on the causes of obesity;
http://www.obesityfocused.com/articles/about-obesity/causes-of-obesity.php

You're thinking Hypothyrodism probably. Thats when you're not producing enough thyradine, and your body slows down.

Hyper thyrodism is too much, and that has it's own host of problems. I got fat after I got my hyperactive thryoid under control because I had gotten used to eating a lot.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:05 pm
i can understand having a health condition.

But what about the ones that just gained and gained and gained. How did they do it?  

Soi Tsuba

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 pm
Soi Tsuba
i can understand having a health condition.

But what about the ones that just gained and gained and gained. How did they do it?

i dont think it has been mentioned yet, but i would have thought that comfort eating is a huge factor. Im sure most people will agree, food is very comforting ^_^ And when you are depressed, tired, things arent going well, you have a lack of social support, people will turn to what comfort they can find. And food is always there. It is an immediate gratifier, so its hard to break the habit.

I guess its a downward spiral. I used to think "well i am over weight anyway, so another 250g of chocolate wont make much difference". Well, no maybe not, but if you are saying that to yourself every day...  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games