Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
I need help...advice please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chobitpersocom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:24 pm
My little cousin just recently decided not to eat animals. She wants to be vegetarian just like me...but her mom is worried. She's 5 and wont eat anything linked to animals. (not even fake meats like morningstar farms and boca) How can I convince her that she still needs her nutrients, even if its from fake products? Although beans, lentils, and other sources of nutrients are okay, but the main thing is that she wont even drink soy milk because she thinks it's still "animal." Any advice?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:12 am
That's cute that she wants to follow in your footsteps. 3nodding

You could try to educate her about how soybeans are grown, and the wonderful soy products that are made. Tell her that it's like cutting an orange into slices. It's still the same food with the same nutrition, it's just in a different form. Mango-peach-orange juice is still an orange, but with flavoring. Read the ingredients to her from a carton of milk and soymilk and try getting her to see that there's no animal product in it. You could also tell her that she'll never grow tall like you if she doesn't get enough protein.

Tell her that Mr. Chicken will thank her for eating Boca and staying healthy so that she can grow up and have vegetarian children of her own. mad D

QueenMaeve

Chobitpersocom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:35 pm
QueenMaeve
That's cute that she wants to follow in your footsteps. 3nodding

You could try to educate her about how soybeans are grown, and the wonderful soy products that are made. Tell her that it's like cutting an orange into slices. It's still the same food with the same nutrition, it's just in a different form. Mango-peach-orange juice is still an orange, but with flavoring. Read the ingredients to her from a carton of milk and soymilk and try getting her to see that there's no animal product in it. You could also tell her that she'll never grow tall like you if she doesn't get enough protein.

Tell her that Mr. Chicken will thank her for eating Boca and staying healthy so that she can grow up and have vegetarian children of her own. mad D
thanks ill have to try that -]  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:43 pm
How cute! whee
Well, if she really wants to follow in your footsteps, then, why don't you let her eat with you? That would be a great chance to show her the veg*n foods and explain where they come from. Have a big plate of a variety of bite-sized foods, and point to each one and say what it is and what's in it, and you have some to eat as well, just to show her it's okay.  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

Evil Karma Angel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:10 am
That's so adorable!!! 4laugh
After I became a vegetarian, my little sister (who is a Buddhist) tried to join me.While my sister was old enough to tell the difference between a veggie burger and a real one, your cousin's not. Those were both great ideas, and another thing you could do is:

Go to you Aunt's freezer. Pull out the ground beef. Make sure it's not one of those roles, or your cousin won't be able to see it. Show her what it looks like (but you don't have to open the package to do this. Now take out a Boca burger (uncooked) and show her how different it is. Then explain that it's different because it's made of plants. Hopefully, she won't realize that plants are alive, because then she won't eat plants, either. (That's just what 5-year-olds do.)  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games