Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:46 am
GilAskan
Let's get back on topic, shall we?

Someone tell me whether or not I should invest in buying albums from Minimal Compact. I've been told now by two or three people that "If [ I ] like Bauhaus or Virgin Prunes, [ I ] should check [them] out."

Technically we are on topic, given the OP is asking exclusively for the opinion of I-Pod owners, thus alienating a large portion of us who don't have an I-Pod instead preferring a Zen or other less pricey player. So we're just comparing products from the I-Pod manufacturers (Apple) product range. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:51 am
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu
OSX kicks the s**t out of WIndows.

OSX = s**t, there are no accessibility options, it doesn't let you access the core system files and it holds your hand for everything.

It's Unix, you can access anything if you enable the root account.
But if your going to do that, why not just run Unix, instead of shelling out for propriety hardware and a propriety operating system, where your warranty is voided if you actually mess with the hard code of the OS?

My problem with apple, is the inferior hardware and tight grip they keep on all their assets stifling creativity in problem solving. Couple that with questionable business ethics (again Microsoft aren't much better, but at least they don't make the hardware) all Apples products are at the end of the day, is a PC, without the functionality to run open source OS's like Unbunto sold to people who want to look trendy via a marketing scheme. Unless you work in graphics, there is little point in having a Mac.  

Rellik San
Crew

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:40 am
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu

OSX = s**t, there are no accessibility options, it doesn't let you access the core system files and it holds your hand for everything.

But if your going to do that, why not just run Unix, instead of shelling out for propriety hardware and a propriety operating system, where your warranty is voided if you actually mess with the hard code of the OS?

My problem with apple, is the inferior hardware and tight grip they keep on all their assets stifling creativity in problem solving. Couple that with questionable business ethics (again Microsoft aren't much better, but at least they don't make the hardware) all Apples products are at the end of the day, is a PC, without the functionality to run open source OS's like Unbunto sold to people who want to look trendy via a marketing scheme. Unless you work in graphics, there is little point in having a Mac.

There have been plenty of comparisons made, by people who computer bench tests for a living. These days, what Apple is offering is not any more expensive than a comparable PC, and in some cases offers more for a lower price. That is an old bias that is no longer valid, same for the working in graphics thing. I've had an Intel Mac for 2 years now, and I love it.
Tweaking the OS does not void the warranty btw. It comes with installation discs and anything you do can be undone if necessary. They're also far more versatile than a PC. I can run Unix/linux, Mac OS AND Windows software with very little effort. Windows running in Parallels on the Mac runs just as well as Windows running on a PC.
What do you mean "without the functionality to run open source OS's like Unbunto"? If I really wanted to run Ubuntu on the Mac, it's not that difficult to install, and runs well. What's the point though? Ubuntu isn't that great, and Mac OS is already running on a FreeBSD core. I've always preferred BSD over Linux anyway, and I've been running some variation of it for years. I work in IT in a large company, and recently quite a few of my coworkers have been buying Macs, and I have yet to run across anyone that's used one for any length of time that doesn't love it. One of our lead Unix Systems Administrators is a die-hard Mac guy now, and so is the lead Networking Engineer.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 am
GilAskan
Let's get back on topic, shall we?

Someone tell me whether or not I should invest in buying albums from Minimal Compact. I've been told now by two or three people that "If [ I ] like Bauhaus or Virgin Prunes, [ I ] should check [them] out."

I like what I've heard from them.
http://www.myspace.com/minimalcompact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmqKunmKfB8  

This Old Oscillator

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 am
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu

There have been plenty of comparisons made, by people who computer bench tests for a living. These days, what Apple is offering is not any more expensive than a comparable PC, and in some cases offers more for a lower price. That is an old bias that is no longer valid, same for the working in graphics thing. I've had an Intel Mac for 2 years now, and I love it.
Tweaking the OS does not void the warranty btw. It comes with installation discs and anything you do can be undone if necessary. They're also far more versatile than a PC. I can run Unix/linux, Mac OS AND Windows software with very little effort. Windows running in Parallels on the Mac runs just as well as Windows running on a PC.
What do you mean "without the functionality to run open source OS's like Unbunto"? If I really wanted to run Ubuntu on the Mac, it's not that difficult to install, and runs well. What's the point though? Ubuntu isn't that great, and Mac OS is already running on a FreeBSD core. I've always preferred BSD over Linux anyway, and I've been running some variation of it for years. I work in IT in a large company, and recently quite a few of my coworkers have been buying Macs, and I have yet to run across anyone that's used one for any length of time that doesn't love it. One of our lead Unix Systems Administrators is a die-hard Mac guy now, and so is the lead Networking Engineer.

You know you raised a question here... one that bugs me, and my friends, all of whom work with both macs and PC's, why is it apparently, all Mac adopters go on about how crap their PC was and that they know because they work in IT and how much better the Mac is to the PC because it crashes less and doesn't blow up as often. Why is it these so called 'professionals' can't seem to operate a PC, with say... the same level of competence as ohhhh lets say a graphic designer like myself, who's never had it blow up, sure I've had an occasional crash when trying to finding the best settings for new software, thats about it. Also, it isn't that difficult to dual, treble or quadruple boot a PC, all you have to do is create a V-Drive and Partition. Anything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC, conversely vice versa, the difference being a PC is more modular then a Mac. Also if Mac's are reasonably priced, why does the Mac equivalent to my PC cost about... £300 more then my PC? and thats going off prices a month ago when I asked about it in the Apple store. Yeah ok, its probably because I assembled the thing myself and bought the components and assembled it myself. But even then a Mac is still about £200 more then an equivalent Dell or Asus system.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:38 am
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu

You know you raised a question here... one that bugs me, and my friends, all of whom work with both macs and PC's, why is it apparently, all Mac adopters go on about how crap their PC was and that they know because they work in IT and how much better the Mac is to the PC because it crashes less and doesn't blow up as often. Why is it these so called 'professionals' can't seem to operate a PC, with say... the same level of competence as ohhhh lets say a graphic designer like myself, who's never had it blow up, sure I've had an occasional crash when trying to finding the best settings for new software, thats about it. Also, it isn't that difficult to dual, treble or quadruple boot a PC, all you have to do is create a V-Drive and Partition. Anything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC, conversely vice versa, the difference being a PC is more modular then a Mac. Also if Mac's are reasonably priced, why does the Mac equivalent to my PC cost about... £300 more then my PC? and thats going off prices a month ago when I asked about it in the Apple store. Yeah ok, its probably because I assembled the thing myself and bought the components and assembled it myself. But even then a Mac is still about £200 more then an equivalent Dell or Asus system.

Apple stuff may be more expensive in the UK.
And I never said the PC was "crap", what I said was the Mac is NOT crap.
The only thing you can't do on a PC that you can do on a Mac is run Mac OS. I use my PC just as much, if not more often than my Mac. I'm not a platform bigot like some people obviously are.
You don't need to double boot to run that stuff on a Mac though, that's the point. MacOS can run Mac and most Unix software natively, and all you need is Parallels to run the Windows stuff. No need to reboot into another OS.  

This Old Oscillator

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:21 pm
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu
Rellik San
Diabolic Kung Fu

Apple stuff may be more expensive in the UK.
And I never said the PC was "crap", what I said was the Mac is NOT crap.
The only thing you can't do on a PC that you can do on a Mac is run Mac OS. I use my PC just as much, if not more often than my Mac. I'm not a platform bigot like some people obviously are.
You don't need to double boot to run that stuff on a Mac though, that's the point. MacOS can run Mac and most Unix software natively, and all you need is Parallels to run the Windows stuff. No need to reboot into another OS.
Then what are we arguing about, my thing is they are both as bad as each other and you pretty much agree.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:57 pm
lol sorry to start that I know that apple is absolute crap I agree because I absolutly hate Macs but it was the most common example and thanks I had missed about three bands there  

[AForgottenMemory]

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:05 pm
[AForgottenMemory]
lol sorry to start that I know that apple is absolute crap I agree because I absolutly hate Macs but it was the most common example and thanks I had missed about three bands there
Wouldn't MP3 Player be the most common example? smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:28 pm
Rellik San
[AForgottenMemory]
yes that would of been a better way to put it but i had not thought of that  

[AForgottenMemory]

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 am
[AForgottenMemory]
Rellik San
[AForgottenMemory]
yes that would of been a better way to put it but i had not thought of that
Anyway long story short to answer your question....

Poe - Lemon Meringue/Hey Pretty
One TM Revolution song.
Elvis Costello - Olivers Army
and
RAtM - Sleep Now in the Fire  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:08 pm
Personally, I have lots of KMFDM in my ipod (a growing collection). But that's just me haha.

Nihil is a really good album, and so is Symbols.  

MEOWITSTERRA

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:29 am
I consider everything on my iPod to be awesome. So here is is:

Cake- Fashion Nugget
I- Between Two Worlds
Motorhead- No Remorse
Slayer- God Hates Us All
Wintersun- Wintersun
Zimmer's Hole- When You Were Shouting at the Devil

Also some random tracks-

The Cruel Sea- A Simple Goodbye
Death in Vegas- Girls
Immortal- One By One
- Sons of Northern Darkness
- Tyrants
Iron Maiden- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Monoral- Kiri
Opeth- Windowpane
-In My Time of Need
-Death Whispered a Lullaby
-Ending Credits
Type O Negative- Everyone I Love Is Dead
- Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All)
- Love You To Death
- Hey Pete (Pete's Ego Trip Version)
- Cinnamon Girl (Depressed Mode Mix)
- Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty of Infidelity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:21 am
At the Moment:

Bloodhound Gang - Lift your head up high.
They Might be Giants - Birdhouse in your soul
Mad Capsule Markets - G.M.J.P.
Skyclad - Art-Nazi
Bloodhound Gang - I wish I was queer
The Offspring - Can't get my head around you
LIT - Over my head
Bombfunk MC - Freestyler
Bowling for Soup - I ran
Daft Punk - Around the World
Gackt - Longing
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
Utada Hikaru - Hikari (techno mix)