Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Serious Discussion
SO, what's your POSITIVE opinion on other religions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cruise ships

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 pm
So, we all know the huge Atheist-Christian debate is one of the largest today.
We all know they have been at each others neck since they came into existence.

We have heard each religion's(or lack thereof) opinions on the other one, some not too friendly. So, after a while, I see most biased towards each other as some Christians i know will be disgusted with Atheism, and vice-versa.

I've only met ONE Atheist with a positive opinion on Christianity.
So, EFE I want to know.

Got any positive opinions on the religious/non-religious?

-If you've got nothing nice to say, don't come here at all
note, you do not need the adhere to these two things.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:32 am
Okay... lets think about this for a second.

If someone is atheist, what is christianity to them?

Ill tell you, christianity is an over analized story-book about the most brilliant man to walk the earth. Christians are fanatical and cowardly, they look to a god (that isnt real if your an atheist) instead of depending on themselves. Christianity, preaches words of forgiveness and peace when we all know that society needs strife. It is in fact worse for society than Islam or other eastern theologys for it breeds weaklings who have little courage or faith in what they can do. Honestly as a christian, the only reason to wake up in the morning is because if you dont then your going to hell.

Other religions on the other hand, i love to learn about. Like the omnipresent brahman, or the confucist family unit.

In my opinion, as long as you live your life to be better, and to try harder or to advance your culture, then you are a good person. I could care less whether or not your a good christian.

All negativity aside, i can coexist with people who have faith in god just as long as they have faith in themselves enough to know that they make their own mistakes, and the fruits of their labour ar ehteir own doing.

My girlfreind is a christian, and so are some of my best freinds, as for the faith in itself however, i cannot say i can sway your conviction.  

Noltic

cruise ships

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:49 pm
Noltic

Ill tell you, christianity is an over analized story-book about the most brilliant man to walk the earth. Christians are fanatical and cowardly, they look to a god (that isnt real if your an atheist) instead of depending on themselves. Christianity, preaches words of forgiveness and peace when we all know that society needs strife. It is in fact worse for society than Islam or other eastern theologys for it breeds weaklings who have little courage or faith in what they can do. Honestly as a christian, the only reason to wake up in the morning is because if you dont then your going to hell.

Other religions on the other hand, i love to learn about. Like the omnipresent brahman, or the confucist family unit.

In my opinion, as long as you live your life to be better, and to try harder or to advance your culture, then you are a good person. I could care less whether or not your a good christian.

All negativity aside, i can coexist with people who have faith in god just as long as they have faith in themselves enough to know that they make their own mistakes, and the fruits of their labour ar ehteir own doing.

My girlfreind is a christian, and so are some of my best freinds, as for the faith in itself however, i cannot say i can sway your conviction.

Me, personally, I don't really mind other religions.
I find true Buddhists admirable, and quite often, in my opinion, one of the hardest religions to follow.

I myself am a Christian, though I hate it when people think I'll force my religion on people. And even then, I don't say "God did it!" or "Its because God wanted it to happen!"

I do things regardless of religion, and I do good things on my accord.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 am
Parallel Uniquity
Noltic

Me, personally, I don't really mind other religions.
I find true Buddhists admirable, and quite often, in my opinion, one of the hardest religions to follow.

I myself am a Christian, though I hate it when people think I'll force my religion on people. And even then, I don't say "God did it!" or "Its because God wanted it to happen!"

I do things regardless of religion, and I do good things on my accord.

Right on man...

Its good to hear that there are at least some people out there that arent complete jerks about religion.

I know that my freind is a total weakling when it comes to stuff like that and it infuriates me.  

Noltic

Shryle
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:24 am
I kinda have a neutral opinion of religions. They give something for people to live for, give them rules, tell them what to do, make then be good, and give them hope after death. Yet, at the same time, can turn people into assholes, and has caused some the of the bloodiest wars in history. Also, it gets annoying when they force their religion on you/preach it/try to tell why it is good. I am an Agnostic, which is my way of saying I don't really care about religion enough to be an Atheist, and I don't believe in Christianity. But, I have had some friends disown me when I told them I was Agnostic, because they were preaching to me anyway. I feel that religion is a delusion at times, making people feel better than others. But, sometimes it humbles people. It all depends on who the person is. I have no problem with Christians/any other religion, as long as they do not preach it all the time. People should keep their faith to themselves. My opinion anyway.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:20 pm
@ Noltic:

True.
Its hard these days to find people who break the stereotype of any religion because we've been at each other's neck.

@ Shryle:

Oh, I respect that.
I have alot of Agnostic friends.
And for your friends to disown you for being religiously different, and soley for that purpose is immature.

cruise ships

Kaize

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 am
Well, I'm agnostic and I'd like to clarify that "agnosticism" isn't lack of caring about religion nor is it indecisiveness on the matter. It's the belief that the truth (about the 'divine') is unknowable. A- "without", gnosis-"knowlege". idea It's a commonly misused term. xp

Anyway, I have something positive to say about another religion. I'm facinated by Gnosticism. I love how it holds that the divine creator of the world is either malevolent or incompetent. It's the only plausable explaination I've found in a religion for how the world is today. Yeah, I'm pessimistic. :XP But, really, some popular religions hold that there is a god and he is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-caring, and the ultimate good, yet...
George Carlin
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of s**t you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful a** a long time ago.

<3 George. Sorry if that's offensive to anyone, but I hate to say I find it pretty true. So, yes, praise goes to Gnosticism for being so wonderfully ironic and actually making sense.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:56 am
Well you guys, i can honestly say that however atheistic i am, and however christian you are, it doesnt matter.

I feel like and unbiased observer of my own life, for i realize that the battles i fight everyday are futile. For whatever victories are won, dissention still remains, and chaos is in all truth what makes me love life.

Chaos is what makes life interesting, if i woke up everyday, and knew that one day i was gonna go to heaven if i prayed and was a good christian, thats not very interesting. Similiarly its also boring to know that chaos is is going to win in the end anyway. So you ignore it, and you live your life and you try and change the world, and if you do.... good job.

As for the vindictive ******** of a god, havent you ever played sim cuty? That game is boring as dirt. You play for like ten million hours, and get this awesome city that just functions.... great. See, what is fun is cheating... i have never actually played a sim game without cheating. So what do you do when you cheat? You make disasters... why? because your all powerful with your cheat codes, and watching stuff blow up is fun.

I geuss you could call that a sim-city complex.whatever the case, we all know its true, as goofy as it seems.

Whatever the case actually is freinds, to hate surprises is to hate the flavour of life, so rock on eh!  

Noltic

HuoXingC

2,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:59 pm
I'm an atheist, and I really hate it when I hear other atheist people bash on religious people. Yet, I also hate it when religious people think that "atheists are evil" for not following them. Religions were created with intentions to build a good spiritual foundation for followers, not to promote violence or other forms of conflicts.

Religion has not played an important role in my life, but with my grandmother being a Christian, I learned that religion has spiritually guided her through her rough life. I like how Christianity teaches you principles of forgiving, respect, integrity, and other life skills, but I hate how they make it seem like your life will be a living hell if you don't treat Christianity as your number one priority.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 pm
Kaize
Well, I'm agnostic and I'd like to clarify that "agnosticism" isn't lack of caring about religion nor is it indecisiveness on the matter. It's the belief that the truth (about the 'divine') is unknowable. A- "without", gnosis-"knowlege". idea It's a commonly misused term. xp
I know what it means, but way I see it, I can't disprove a higher power the same as I can't prove it. So = Agnostic. Also just don't care about religion to try to prove it either way. I'm just happy being here.
Also, know what pisses me off? These damn youtube videos bashing Atheists/Christians. I don't CARE what you are, you're an asshat for pushing your religion/bashing other's beliefs. Also, I read somewhere that religion affects trust. People tent to trust Atheists less in this thing. I find it funny that just because your religion is different, you think of people less sometimes. Sound familiar? I wonder. If there can be a black or a woman president, is there a chance for an Atheist president? Ah well.
Also what pisses me off? Somewhere there was a school that was gonna split the evolution study half evolution/half biblical. WTF? Okay. Evolution is proven. You see it in insects all the time. It may not be how we came to be on this planet depending on what you believe, but evolution is true. If you are gonna teach one religion's belief on how we got here, you better teach them ALL. My opinion on the matter anyway.

Shryle
Crew

Crackbaby73

Beloved Lunatic

8,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:35 pm
I dont have much to say but:
I appreciate all relegions and I accept what they beleive in and I dont think people should be trying to stop people from beleiving in what they beleive in.
I myself dont claim a religion. I just kind of follow alot of mixed beliefs in different things such as God and what not.
Personally I think the Bible and Science, after reading both and learning things, just make things even more confusing for people and you begin to wonder what really real and what things that people could've made up and just thrown down on paper.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm supposed to be Catholic but I kind of believe what I want to hear.
I study religions for fun because that's the way I tick.

I've seen, a lot of people jump to conclusions about a religion, or assume things that aren't true about the religion.

For the most part, I don't care who worships what/what not.
As long as they respect my beliefs, I'll respect theirs. :]

I think it's the same for most people.
They don't like religion shoved in their face. And others don't like atheists getting in their face. . . if we could all life in peace.

Diet Christ

Squeaky8864

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:23 pm
I suppose I don't have a... "positive" opinion on religion. I merely feel that it's something that gives people hope and happiness; like a form of tranquility. Religion helps people feel like they "belong" and if they wish to have one or not, is what they choose.  
Serious Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games