Submit

Do you plan on going to your prom?
  Yes
  No
  I don't know yet
View Results

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:55 pm
So prom is coming up at the end of this month. I never thought I would be going, but since I managed to get someone else to pay for my prom ticket, I figured I might as well.

But I'm having a few problems. First: What to wear. there don't seem to be many goth stores around my area, and Hot topic doesn't sell prom dresses. Could anyone tell me some American websites where I could find a nice gothy prom dress? (preferably in blue, because I want to dye my hair to match). It can't be too expensive, though. Its my junior prom, not my wedding and/or funeral.

Next problem: Asking out my prom date. I want to ask my best friend to go with me to prom. I just don't know how. I don't want to be to serious, incase he doesn't like me that way I can pas it off as a 'just friends' thing. But I figured "Hey, I need a ride to the prom, wanna take me?" wasn't exactly the way to ask. I would also like to ask him infront of his ex, (a former friend turned backstabber) just to make her mad, but is that too bitchy?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 pm
Try looking for a vintage shop where you live. If you can't find a vintage shop, try a costume shop (not the kind you'd go to for Halloween, but the kind you'd go to for theatre costuming)

Also, I'd suggest finding a date rather than asking your friend. Just have a little confidence to ask around; if no one is willing, then you could try asking your friend as a last resort.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:54 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Try looking for a vintage shop where you live. If you can't find a vintage shop, try a costume shop (not the kind you'd go to for Halloween, but the kind you'd go to for theatre costuming)

Also, I'd suggest finding a date rather than asking your friend. Just have a little confidence to ask around; if no one is willing, then you could try asking your friend as a last resort.

The thing is, I don't want him to be a last resort. As much as I hate admitting it, I've loved him since 8th grade, and now is the first time he's been available for a while. This is also a combined effort by all of our friends to galvanize his ex (of 4 years) from believing she can toy around with all the guys she meets. This will probably be the only chance I have.
Another thing: I have a confidence level of zero. I can't even build up enough confidence to order first at a restaurant unless I'm hyped up on caffeine.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 am
On the issue of finding a dress, I know I sound like a broken-record:

Check small or medium sized local theaters. You know, for stage performance. These theaters often have reasonable costume selections, including (reproduction) period dresses from the 1600's to the early 1900's. Talk to the theater's manager, and see if you can rent out or even buy a dress. In my experience, you can buy this kind of stuff inexpensively, especially is a theater isn't putting on a show which needs that period's clothing.  

GilAskan
Crew

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:31 pm
Dress problem has been solved! We hadn't had a chance to go to any stores yet, but me and my mom were looking on ebay last night. I just happen to come across a cosplay outfit for Lulu from FFx. Oh yeah. I am SO going to prom dressed as Lulu! I am absolutely serious. Now I just need to make a Moogle!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm
Katanas Blade
Now I just need to make a Moogle!

10 minute Moogle-

Take two squares of shag carpet, sew three sides together, fill with stuffing, sew final side. Buttons for the eyes, cardboard for wings, and a bit of stiff wire with a styrofoam ball at the end for the antenna.

The materials are all low quality, obviously, but there's something more endearing of a raggity, stitched up moogle.  

GilAskan
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:14 pm
Katanas Blade
-Resurrected Writer-

The thing is, I don't want him to be a last resort. As much as I hate admitting it, I've loved him since 8th grade, and now is the first time he's been available for a while. This is also a combined effort by all of our friends to galvanize his ex (of 4 years) from believing she can toy around with all the guys she meets. This will probably be the only chance I have.
Another thing: I have a confidence level of zero. I can't even build up enough confidence to order first at a restaurant unless I'm hyped up on caffeine.

Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to just go to the prom with him, if he's the only one who you feel confident enough to ask.

This is going off of the main intent of the thread, but keep in mind that if you plan on carrying on further with this guy after the prom, it's rarely a good idea to start romantic relationships with long-term friends. I've made that mistake before.  
Life Issues & Fashion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games