Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
What band/artist got you into our subculture's music? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nik Ballion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 am
Draco Vampir

clockwork punk? LOL WAT?
The adicts took their appearance from the Kubrick film A Clockwork Orange, which was itself more of an exploration of humanity.
Clockwork Punk doesn't exist.

clockwork punk was influenced by the Kubrick's movie Clockwork Orange.
Some people say "the first original punk on the music scene"
Dont say stupid things before you google it.

And dont say you know about some things more than me, you look stupid after my replies. Go LARP. It seems you can do only that in your life.
edit: just, google before you post a reply. thats all.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:34 pm
The Dresden Dolls. (Dark Cabaret is a subgenre.)  

Maggoty Anne

Bible Black Suicide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 pm
Cradle of Filth
Skinny Puppy
Deathstars
Hanzel und Gretyl?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm
Voltaire.  

CREATUUURE FEATUUURE

ElectroPanties

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 pm
Android Lust did a cover of Slice of Life. I liked it, listened to the original version, LOVED IT and got hooked on Bauhaus.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 am
The Cure. I've listened to them for years, and a few years ago I started to look for similar music and came across post-punk and gothic rock. I think Joy Division was one of the first bands I started listening to after The Cure.  

veil of stars

SADERR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 pm
L Ron Jeremy
lol, ignorance.

Didn't My Chemical Romance call themselves goth in a Gothic Beauty interview?
Hasn't Marylin Manson called himself goth many times(just look at the beginning of the "Tainted Love" video)?

I think Manson has right to call himself goth (How do we know his musical tastes? He could very well be listening to Bauhaus this moment); as long as he does not refer to his music as goth -- in which it is clearly not.
As for My Chemical Romance? I've no answer for that, but a facepalm is indeed in need. (Indeed in need.. I ought to say that more often)..

Also, to my mentioning of Blood and the whole visual-kei thing -- I disagree with myself (That is to say the present I disagrees with the statement made by the past I).  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 am
Jonathonn
L Ron Jeremy
lol, ignorance.

Didn't My Chemical Romance call themselves goth in a Gothic Beauty interview?
Hasn't Marylin Manson called himself goth many times(just look at the beginning of the "Tainted Love" video)?

I think Manson has right to call himself goth (How do we know his musical tastes? He could very well be listening to Bauhaus this moment); as long as he does not refer to his music as goth -- in which it is clearly not.
As for My Chemical Romance? I've no answer for that, but a facepalm is indeed in need. (Indeed in need.. I ought to say that more often)..

Also, to my mentioning of Blood and the whole visual-kei thing -- I disagree with myself (That is to say the present I disagrees with the statement made by the past I).

I think I read somewhere that Manson was a fan of Rozz Williams. It was online though, and I'm not sure if the source was particularly reliable. Though it's easy to see how Manson could have been influenced by Rozz.  

veil of stars

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:09 pm
Lol @ arguments.

I seriously cannot stand this age old argument.

WHO GIVES A s**t?!

To sit and nit pick over which bands belong in which categories is the most ridiculous and pointless thing to do.

Will the fact that a band may or may not be goth change how you feel about them?

I hate Marilyn Manson's music. If some "definitive" figure in the goth world were to say "No, guys, he's definitely goth" that would not cause me to suddenly be a Manson fan.

Nor will finding out by some strange happening that Joy Division is no longer goth cause me to stop listening to them.

If you need music and its proper categorization to identify yourself, then you are barely a shadow of a proper human being.

Also, I keep seeing people saying that just because a bunch of goths are fans of a certain band does not make that band goth.
Good logic. I agree. However, the logic goes both ways.
Just because a person likes a goth band, that does not make them goth. IF that logic were solid, then I would also be a raver, a cowgirl, a redneck, a punk, an emo, a kandi kid, a scenester, etc...

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm
type O negative for me  

risen91

4,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ll-Mystic Rhythms-ll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 am
I'd say Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Cure  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:44 am
I'd say it was probably Evanescance that originally did it for me. Before that, I mainly listened to Mum's old vinyls of Abba, the Beatles, ect - mainly because they are a lot better than the majority of modern mainstream bands.

Then when Radio 1 played Bring me to life, I thought it was the best thing I'd ever heard! I foolishly believed that mainstream radio was starting to play some decent music! But after they played another track a few days later, the DJ person was like "More dreary stuff from Evanescance. I don't think we'll play anything by them again." Which I was rather upset about. It was also when I officially stopped listening to the radio, because that was when rap and R&B started to get really popular.

Anyway, before I digress any further... I think Evanescance was the catalyst rather than the cause for getting me into the goth scene, since I was beginning to show an interest in gothic aesthetic taste anyway.  

Bluetabbycat

Jeering Seeker

SADERR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:42 pm
Okay, so I posted a while back and I suppose I ought to restate myself, because before I was hardly at all very descriptive.
I consider all the music I've listened to a gateway to goth rock (With the definite exception of some genres), as it sorta led me along my path.

So I started off as a little kiddie listening to Poppunk and Alternative. Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Sum41, The Offspring. All that crap. And from there it sorta led into punk (Some older stuff like Sex Pistols, and some newer like Anti-Flag, NOFX) and metal (Lamb of God, s**t like that).
By this time I was a mallgoth, quite literally at the mall every Friday (Which, granted, I am still guilty of if I have nothing going on on a Friday night), hanging out with collective of metalheads, goths, emos, scene kids and utter stoners who sort of hang around together.(Yes people, we got along!) Through a few metalheadymallpeople I found a few that introduced me into industrial music, which I found pretty kickin'. And in looking through influences to some industrial band I can't even recall, I stumbled upon The Cure. And then the Cure led to all the other goth rock bands and such.

I still listen to all the old stuff I did, goth is just another added to my pile. And it all led up to goth rock. Which took me to other genres ofcourse; Postpunk, darkwave, etc.

And then theres hiphop and indiepop and jazz and a bunch of other stuff I really don't know where I picked up.

So yeah, I coud have said "The Cure".
But that's not true. because the domino effect that led to it is much more important.
Plus, I don't have much to do today and I feel like reminiscing(sp?) and posting random crap.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff