Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Wallace Memorial

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scottish? Just wondering.
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
No
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:29 am
I'm a wee bit late in posting this, I know, but I was reminded by the memorial service held at the Wallace Memorial in my village. William Wallace was born in our village, though there is another village with a very similar name claiming the same thing . . .

Anyway, wherever in Scotland he was born, William Wallace was certainly a great man who died for our country and shouldn't be forgotten. It was the 700th anniversary of his death this week. A special service was held at the church in London, near to which he was executed.

I decided to start this topic because I was wondering how much people here know about William Wallace and their thoughts on the man.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:15 pm
i know a wee bit about William Wallace, not a lot.. just a wee bit. xp

William Wallace was leader of the Scottish resistance forces during the first years of the long war to free Scotland from English rule at the end of the 13th Century was born in 1270 in Ellerslie. It is said that the killing of his father in 1291 by English troops contributed to Wallace's desire to expel England from Scotland. in 1297 Wallace recruited several locals and started an assault on the English. In May 1297, with as many as 30 men, he avenged his father's death by ambushing and killing the guy responsible. Although most of Scotland was in Scottish hands by August 1297, Wallace successfully recruited a groups of ordinary Scots to attack the remaining English garrisons between the Rivers Forth and Tay. Wallace and his co-leader, Sir Andrew de Moray, marched their forces towards Stirling Castle, a stronghold of strategic importance to the English. On Sept 11, 1297, the English army confronted him near Stirling. Wallace's forces were greatly outnumbered, but the English had to cross a narrow bridge over the River Forth before they could touch the Scottish rebels. Wallace got the English to make an advance, and killed them as they crossed the river. English fatalities are reported to have approached 5,000 giving the scottish rebels an overwhelming victory over the English Army. Because of this Wallace captured Stirling Castle and for the moment Scotland was basically free of occupying forces. Under Wallace, the ordinary Scots were united in the fight for freedom from the English, unlike the nobles. In 1296, Wallace invaded England and ravaged the counties of Northumberland and Cumberland. sweatdrop and when he returned to Scotland in late 1297, he was knighted and proclaimed guardian of the kingdom. all that in only six years. but there was trouble up ahead for him...
Edward re-invaded Scotland on the 3rd of July 1298, intending to get rid of wallace and his men. in July, Edward's 90,000-strong army attacked the Scots near Falkirk. About 10,000 Scots may have been killed at that battle. after that battle Wallace retreated to the thick woods nearby and resigned his guardianship of Scotland. in 1305, he was executed for treason after being betrayed by a Scottish knight. the punishment for the crime of treason was that Wallace was dragged to the place of execution, hung by the neck untill he was nearly dead then drawn and finally quartered. His head was impaled on a spike and displayed at London Bridge, his right arm on the bridge at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, his left arm at Berwick, his right leg at Perth, and the left leg at Aberdeen. Edward had martyred a popular Scots military leader and fired the Scottish people's determination to be free.

he was a rather interesting Character as you can see. Very daring to take on the English forces and obviously a great hero to Scottish people and really to anyone who would be fighting against oppression. i think he was a great man to stand up against Edward and his forces at a time when the English Throne was Oppressing the Scottish people. a normal bloke trying to fix a big problem.

there is my two pennies.

also... Tsamikayu you come from Ellerslie then? ninja  

Mr. Bono Vox

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:58 pm
He''s a great guy. So were all the men who fought with him.

O flower of Scotland,
When will we see, your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit hill, and glen,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward''s army,
And sent him homeward, Tae think again.

Those hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves, lie thick and still,
For land that is lost now,
But oh so dearly held,
We stood against him,
Proud Edward?s army,

Those days are passed now,
And in the past they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward''s army,
And sent him homeward, Tae think again.,

Those hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves, lie thick and still,
For land that is lost now,
But oh so dearly held,

O flower of Scotland,
When will we see, your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit hill, and glen,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward''s army,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:26 pm
people missunderstand flower of Scotland. They say it shouldn't be used as a national anthem because it's about fighting the english...but if you look at the words that's not true. "In the past they must remain" It's about being the underdog and having passion for your country. It's saying just because we aren't fighting and we are at peace now we shouldn't give up our identity and if the occasion arrises that we need to fight for the freedom and safety of our country, that spirit is merely lying dormant.

It's a great song, the only thing that makes it prejudiced are those lovely in-between liners that we love to shout.

that fought against them
(bastards!)
proud edwards ******** off!)

Oh dear....  

ficklefiend
Crew

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:01 pm
Mr. Bono Vox
Tsamikayu you come from Ellerslie then? ninja

Oh no, I'm from the other village that has a claim to being his birthplace ninja Seriously.

I think Wallace sounds like a great guy who really loved Scotland. If it weren't for him, how much longer would we have had to wait to reclaim our independence?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:06 am
Tsamikayu
Mr. Bono Vox

Oh no, I'm from the other village that has a claim to being his birthplace ninja Seriously.

I think Wallace sounds like a great guy who really loved Scotland. If it weren't for him, how much longer would we have had to wait to reclaim our independence?
ooh. ninja

thankfully we will never have that problem again... what with us being United and all.
User Image pirate  

Mr. Bono Vox

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:18 am
I know quite a bit about hhim, though the sources I have read all seem to contradict each other. From what I can gather, he was the son of a knight but was in no way related to any nobility, and he was both an average peasant and a wealthy man at the time when he first started to fight against the English.

The mmemorial building itself is quite nice though...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:56 pm
ficklefiend
people missunderstand flower of Scotland. They say it shouldn't be used as a national anthem because it's about fighting the english...but if you look at the words that's not true. "In the past they must remain" It's about being the underdog and having passion for your country. It's saying just because we aren't fighting and we are at peace now we shouldn't give up our identity and if the occasion arrises that we need to fight for the freedom and safety of our country, that spirit is merely lying dormant.

It's a great song, the only thing that makes it prejudiced are those lovely in-between liners that we love to shout.

that fought against them
(bastards!)

Oh dear....

Funny thing, but have you ever heard the sixth verse of 'God Save The Queen'? It's virtually never used. In fact, going past the second is rare.

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

To be fair, the penultimate line is the reason those verses aren't there anymore, but it's interesting nonetheless.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:28 pm
Erix Griffon
ficklefiend

that fought against them
(bastards!)

Oh dear....

Funny thing, but have you ever heard the sixth verse of 'God Save The Queen'? It's virtually never used. In fact, going past the second is rare.

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

To be fair, the penultimate line is the reason those verses aren't there anymore, but it's interesting nonetheless.

O.o We got a mention in God Save the Queen. I feel prouder of that than I possibly should do. Maybe its the bagpipes in the background. I don't know if the tv is on or if we have a phantom piper but it is beginning to annoy me. Well the drone is, it seems to be as loud as the tune.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:43 am
Mr. Bono Vox
i know a wee bit about William Wallace, not a lot.. just a wee bit. xp

William Wallace was leader of the Scottish resistance forces during the first years of the long war to free Scotland from English rule at the end of the 13th Century was born in 1270 in Ellerslie. It is said that the killing of his father in 1291 by English troops contributed to Wallace's desire to expel England from Scotland. in 1297 Wallace recruited several locals and started an assault on the English. In May 1297, with as many as 30 men, he avenged his father's death by ambushing and killing the guy responsible. Although most of Scotland was in Scottish hands by August 1297, Wallace successfully recruited a groups of ordinary Scots to attack the remaining English garrisons between the Rivers Forth and Tay. Wallace and his co-leader, Sir Andrew de Moray, marched their forces towards Stirling Castle, a stronghold of strategic importance to the English. On Sept 11, 1297, the English army confronted him near Stirling. Wallace's forces were greatly outnumbered, but the English had to cross a narrow bridge over the River Forth before they could touch the Scottish rebels. Wallace got the English to make an advance, and killed them as they crossed the river. English fatalities are reported to have approached 5,000 giving the scottish rebels an overwhelming victory over the English Army. Because of this Wallace captured Stirling Castle and for the moment Scotland was basically free of occupying forces. Under Wallace, the ordinary Scots were united in the fight for freedom from the English, unlike the nobles. In 1296, Wallace invaded England and ravaged the counties of Northumberland and Cumberland. sweatdrop and when he returned to Scotland in late 1297, he was knighted and proclaimed guardian of the kingdom. all that in only six years. but there was trouble up ahead for him...
Edward re-invaded Scotland on the 3rd of July 1298, intending to get rid of wallace and his men. in July, Edward's 90,000-strong army attacked the Scots near Falkirk. About 10,000 Scots may have been killed at that battle. after that battle Wallace retreated to the thick woods nearby and resigned his guardianship of Scotland. in 1305, he was executed for treason after being betrayed by a Scottish knight. the punishment for the crime of treason was that Wallace was dragged to the place of execution, hung by the neck untill he was nearly dead then drawn and finally quartered. His head was impaled on a spike and displayed at London Bridge, his right arm on the bridge at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, his left arm at Berwick, his right leg at Perth, and the left leg at Aberdeen. Edward had martyred a popular Scots military leader and fired the Scottish people's determination to be free.

he was a rather interesting Character as you can see. Very daring to take on the English forces and obviously a great hero to Scottish people and really to anyone who would be fighting against oppression. i think he was a great man to stand up against Edward and his forces at a time when the English Throne was Oppressing the Scottish people. a normal bloke trying to fix a big problem.

there is my two pennies.

also... Tsamikayu you come from Ellerslie then? ninja

A wee bit eh?  

Lemmie

Lemmie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:44 am
Mr. Bono Vox
Tsamikayu
Mr. Bono Vox

ooh. ninja

thankfully we will never have that problem again... what with us being United and all.
User Image pirate

Strange you should say that. If Scotland had been independant thirty years ago, we would be as rich as Switzerland.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:30 pm
Lemmie
Strange you should say that. If Scotland had been independant thirty years ago, we would be as rich as Switzerland.

Why-ever? Dealing with the Nazis?  

Invictus_88
Captain

Gaian British Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas