Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  gold
View Results

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 pm
Benighted is an excellent book. I love how believable and relevent the story is even though it is fantasy. This book offers a good look at the human condition.

The summary, by Amazon:

In this impressive werewolf novel with a detective story twist, first-time British author Whitfield imagines a contemporary world whose majority are people who "fur up" at full moon; the scorned minority—called barebacks by their wolven, "lycanthropic" peers—are permanently clad in their human skin. Whitfield's bareback protagonist, Lola Galley, is a lawyer with DORLA (Department for the Ongoing Regulation of Lycanthropic Activity), an unpopular organization necessary to maintaining order in a civilized world. Lola's full-moon duties include "dogcatching," or chasing down stray "lunes," lycos in vicious, canine form. When a bareback friend loses a hand to the snapping jaws of a lune—and then turns up shot dead a few days later—it's Lola's job to defend the mauler who becomes a murder suspect. In the process of her investigation, Lola must face her own biases as a minority and unearth the secret behind the divide in her society. A nuanced exploration of prejudice, this deftly written, absorbing debut deserves a crossover literary and fantasy readership.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 pm
I was looking at it in the bookstore a few months ago, but decided not to buy it then. Is it the start of a series, or a stand-alone book? I'm trying really hard to not start new series, but if it's worth it, I might get it next time I go to the bookstore.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 pm
I think it is just a novel.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:32 pm
Cool. Then I may get it over spring break.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 pm
Apparently Warner Bros. has bought the movie rights. The movie should be out in 2009.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 am
Wow, that was pretty quick. Didn't it come out fairly recently?  

NightIntent
Captain

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces