Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Battling the Munchies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you get the munchies?
  All the time
  Not really
View Results

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:53 pm
How do you battle the munchies? Im a grazer by nature, I love to snack throughout the day, and ive been really good at controlling it so far, but sometimes it is really hard and i just give in and have something (or a lot of something) really bad. Do you guys have any tasty, crunchy, healthy munchie busters?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:05 am
I've heard that it's actually good to snack throughout the day, as long as you're eating healthy snacks (that's my downfall personally sad ) It's suppose to keep your metablism up if you eat something every 2-3 hours.
It also helps keep your hunger down and makes you not eat quite as much at larger meals. I've also found that it helps me to get in my liquids for the day, as I'm more likely to drink something when I'm eating. The only problem is when you start snacking and not thinking about it. In that case I've found if you measure out what you can eat beforehand and put the rest away that it takes care of oversnacking.

Fruits and veggies are always a good choice, and I somtimes put a teaspoon or two of reduced fat peanut butter with it so that it lasts longer. Nuts and trail mix is a good choice also, just watch out for the calorie and fat contents, a handful of nuts packs a punch as far as calories sometimes. At least the fat in nuts is good fat. Whole grains are also a good choice. I snack on triscuits or sunchips if I really want something salty to munch on. Just watch the serving sizes on your snacks and the nutritional info and it's not really a problem.

One more thing. If you really shouldn't be snacking (you just ate and you're really just kind of bored) do something with your hands or something that really gets your focus away from food. I read a book, but that's just me. Chewing gum helps too ^_^. I love the new longer lasting gums, although my fave is stride.  

lenady

1emon

Tipsy Noob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:25 pm
School or hiking.
No food, and no way to get any.
Actual snacks?
Things I don't like, like raw broccoli.
Makes me want to stop eating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm
Lol Lemon, thats a good way to go about it mrgreen if theres nothing nice to snack on then I dont want to snack. Unfortunately, no one else in my family is dieting so there are always nice, fatty, unhealthy snacks calling out to me.

Ive tried eating nuts, but like you said Lenady they do pack a lot of calories. Veggies could work though! Celery and low fat peanut butter, or just plain celery are easily done, would satisfy the crunch factor, and aren't so nice that I would want to eat heaps of them

Ive been trying to distract myself, i like to sew so ive been doing lots of that, but im at home for a lot of the day at the moment so i can only do that for a certain amount of time before i get bored again >.< next week im back at uni though so hopefully i will be busier and it will get easier

What are triscuits and sunchips? Are they like veggie chips? I try to avoid gum because i have a thing about avoiding chemicals and preservatives etc and i always imagine gum to be full of stuff like that >.<  

Iconised Ghost

lenady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:44 pm
sunchips are baked chips made with whole grain. They're relatively low fat and high fiber and fairly nice on the calorie count too. When I don't feel like trying so hard I grab a handful of those for a potato chip substition.

Triscuits are pretty much small cracker shaped things of shredded wheat. You can get it in low fat or reduced sodium... sadly they don't make it reduced fat and low sodium both or they'd be perfect. But they're pretty good if you're running out of energy and you won't be able to eat for a little while.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:31 pm
Stuff from Robert's American Gourmet is healthy and really good. My favorite is Stealth Chips. Here's their website if you wanna see what they look like: http://www.robscape.com/ Baby carrots or carrot sticks are reeeally yummy/healthy, too. So is any fruit like apples, pears, oranges, tangerines, etc. Finally, if you've snacked and snacked and are still hungry, chew some gum. 3nodding  

__penguin__
Captain

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:06 pm
yeah im really bad at eating fruit sweatdrop i hate the texture of most of them (bananas actually make me gag). Ive tried putting them in smoothies and things but its hard when you are on the go

Carrot sticks sound yum, and maybe baby sweet corn could be a good lunch idea?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 am
always have low or no fat snacks with you. carrots for example, or an apple. If you have a craving for something junkier, what I do is I tell myself I can have it when I've finished all the carrots or wtv. That way, by the time I get to the junky item, I'm not that hungry and so I wont eat too much of it. Munching stuff constantly is NOT bad, you just have to watch what your munching on. If you munch chips all day long, ya, that's bad.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

1emon

Tipsy Noob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:20 pm
Iconised Ghost
yeah im really bad at eating fruit sweatdrop i hate the texture of most of them (bananas actually make me gag). Ive tried putting them in smoothies and things but its hard when you are on the go

Carrot sticks sound yum, and maybe baby sweet corn could be a good lunch idea?

o.o
Seriously?
Fruit is my favorite food ever. They definitely top snack foods on my list. Apples, clementines, pineapple, and plums top my favorites list.
When I was little, I used to eat ice and pretend it was an oreo and it would suddenly taste like one. This no longer works for me (my imagination has died?) but my comfort food is ice. It numbs my mouth and has that crunch factor too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 am
Every week at the grocery store, I buy myself seven oranges, seven apples, and five bananas (for weekdays). Then I buy my SO about half that, because my SO buys fruit at the cafeteria at work, and doesn't need any at home. I eat one piece of fruit every morning when I wake up, and another piece of fruit about halfway between breakfast and lunch, then another piece right around 3pm (or wait until I get home from work, and eat it before starting to cook dinner).

I also buy Carrot Chips. They're just fresh carrots, crinkle-cut into thin rounds. I guess I could also buy carrots and cut them myself, but why bother? I don't want to spend the time, and they cost just the same. Whenever I get the munchies, I resort to carrots.

These two things take care of the crunchy-craving, and also the sweet-craving. They also are filled with fiber, which cleans out the intestinal tract (ahem, makes you poop), which in turn makes you weigh less. The intestines can get gucked up with digested food that it can't get rid of, but fiber scrubs it out on the way down. If your diet wasn't very fiber-rich, and then you start eating fruits and carrots and celery, you could lose up to 20 extra pounds in two months' time, just because the fiber cleans you out!  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

delete_my_existence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:30 am
I seriously don't know.. I have the habit to snack something while I play on my computer or watch TV D: even though I wasn't really hungry or anything.. and most of all, I need something salty (chips, popcorn).. >.< so it's hard to replace it with fruits or something like that.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:40 am
It's not that hard.

1. Get carrot chips and salt them.

2. Use baked chips instead of fried.

3. Soy Crisps -- a whole small bag (four servings) contains less calories and fat than a single-serving bag of regular fried potato chips.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games