Submit

What combo?
  English + Art
  English + Band
  Art + Band
View Results

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:01 am
In school, it's time to pick electives! I'm all set, but my friend isn't... at this very moment she is asking me what to do. We can pick two electives, and she has narrowed it down to three.

English
Art
Band

English is required every year, but you can also take it as an elective. THe english choices include Creative Writing, Public Speaking, and Journalism.

My friend is really into art, though more like anime style than realistic. That doesn't really matter though, since she's considering Studio Art. (you know, where you have a variety of little projects) She said she likes how it "relaxes" her at the end of the day.

She took flute in 4th and 5th grade, but didn't 7th and 8th. Next year she'll be in 9th. She told me it's her "hidden dream" to play the flute again, and she isn't able to take private lessons.

Any suggestions? Which of the three should she give up on?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:15 am
Creative Writing isn't very fun. I took it in high school.

Public Speaking might be good, if she wants to practice giving speeches. The class is supposed to teach you how to talk in front of large groups of people without being nervous or unprepared. If she doesn't take it now, she can take it in college.

Journalism is good, if she wants to be on the high school newspaper or yearbook staff 3nodding I recommend being a part of yearbook or newspaper. They're both really fun organizations.

If it's her hidden dream to play the flute, I think she should definitely take Band :] Yay, band nerds! And no, being a band nerd is not a bad thing. You get to be at all the football games, without throwing any passes or having to be tackled.

If I were her, I'd take Journalism and Band.

King Henry
Crew

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 am
From what I read in your post, I feel like your friend is more willing to take Art & Band. Plus, a dream is one of the best ways to keep track of your happiness.

Like you said, English is required every year. Even if your friend doesn't choose it, she still gets to have the basic class.

Still, it's up to your friend to choose. :]  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:48 pm
If English is a requirement, and she enjoys art and music, I think it would be her best option to take the art and band electives. She'll still be getting the minimum mandatory English, and she'll be happy with the electives she chooses.
Also, none of those English choices sound particularly exciting.  

Yeon Ye-In

thejrockstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 pm
it seems she'll enjoy art and band more...iono but i prefer to go with what i like...i tend to do better that way =]  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:04 pm
As said already, Art and Band sound like a good combination for your friend. ^^;

English is already required, so no need to take another English class, unless your friend is interested in a career that involves creative writing/public speaking/journalism. B:

Inkieee!
Crew

Z741

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:59 pm
EDIT: Cripes misread a few posts... homework must be really getting to me :X_x:

Art + Band 3nodding

Disregarding education COMPLETELY (ye gods since when have I ever done so burning_eyes ), it sounds as if the she'll have a much better time in these classes 3nodding

Getting the music to calm her nerves after a long day is also a very VERY good plus as well...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:40 pm
it sounds like shes ok in art. and those english electives sound borin and will involve hard work. and 4th/5th grade band is WAY different den 9th, SO much harder. so i would suggest english and public speaking mrgreen  

SnowR

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:23 pm
I'm currently enrolled in Band, and it's very cool, but if your friend only took it in 4th/5th grade, she may find the band material for 9th grade a lot harder.

I would reccommend her to take Art and English.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:56 am
If it were up to me, I'd ake English and Art.

But it really depnds on what she's better at. If she's a great artist, maybe she should og into that, but seeing how playing the flute is her dream, she should definitely take band instead.

Yes, English +Band it is. ^^"  

Valentina Ambrosia Dizon

Kikyou31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:08 pm
Thanks every1 for helping me choose my electives! In the end I'll be doing Art and CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) lol a lot of people wanted me to do band but my hidden dream will always be hidden. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:20 pm
Clear Bubble
I'm currently enrolled in Band, and it's very cool, but if your friend only took it in 4th/5th grade, she may find the band material for 9th grade a lot harder.

I would reccommend her to take Art and English.
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

I wish I could be love,
Then I could be
All over the world.

I've been in band since 4th grade, and I'm now a Junior. I've taken all years of band class. When Bubble says 'she may find' I claim that to be an understatement. She will find the flute music to be much harder. Music is more complex in the higher levels, and it will be very difficult if she just does this jump. She'll need to practice a lot at home separately if she really wants to go into this area. If you want to know what kind of jump I'm talking about, think of it as jumping from an Algebra I class into a Pre Calculus Honors Class.

If she does choose to take the band class, then she won't need to take the art. Taking an art and band class at the same time is somewhat a redundancy because Music is Art. A performing art. So, yeah.

If she does take one of the English classes (which I think she should,) it depends on what she's already comfortable with. If she's good at public speaking, she should take creative writing. If she's good at writing, she should take public speaking. Journalism is kind of the inbetween. I suggest not taking Journalism. I'm taking a creative writing class, and it's fun, but a lot of work. Public speaking also sounds fun, but I'm already good with it.
I'll remember to love,
You taught me how.

User Image

Animaznboy

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out