Submit

j3ll0_m0nk3y

High-functioning Shapeshifter

17,000 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:57 pm
After watching Fox 11 News's segment on the goth subculture (you know the segment, Voltaire was in it) and the segment they did on the emo scene (the one where they mention that emos are treated violently by other music-based subcultures), I noticed something a bit hypocritical about the way both groups were portrayed.

Goths, in both segments, were portrayed as violent potential murderers, killing innocent women and beating up emo kids. In the segment with Voltaire, the interviewers insinuated that all goths are Satanists, dangerous, and should be avoided. No mention was made at all about gothic fashion, little was said about the music affiliated with the subculture, and absolutely nothing was said concerning the violence that some goths have had to endure at the hands of the more "upright, mentally stable" members of society.

Emos, on the other hand, were portrayed as being delicate, sensitive individuals who need to be a part of something so as to give them a reason to live. The reporters actually seemed indignant that some punks, goths, and metalheads hate emos and are occasionally violent towards them.

I find it ironic that the media does not care at all whether or not goths are getting beaten up or killed due to the way they dress and act, but cares about emos getting beaten. One would think that, rather than maintaining this grudge that society has against goths, mainstream society would pick on the new big thing with angsty, rebellious teenagers looking to shock their parents.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:29 pm
Its fox news... what do you expect?

How badly do gamers get the wrap from them?

Hell the only reason they don't pick on metallers is probably because half the technical and camera staff are metallers and 'accidently lose' the footage. Besides, who really takes fox news seriously?

I mean lets compare the damage here shall we:
Fox news = Everyone knows its a joke
Paradise Lost Documentry = Serious, underhanded subversion of a tragedy to paint the victims of that farce of a trial up as psychotic murderers.

The pure fact of the matter is, your bitching about a channel, who's viewers amount to serious hardline lefties unless its for the comedy value of their report accuracy.  

Rellik San
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:33 am
Keith Olbermann calls Fox News "False Noise" for a good reason. The channel is a complete joke. No one of any journalistic integrity works for them, and no one of any journalistic integrity likes them.

As for Fox's differing portrayals of goth and emo, essentially, the Fox News view on it boils down to this:

We need to protect emo kids from themselves.
We need to protect ourselves from goth kids.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 pm
fox news is very often WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG about things. they're just stupid by nature. deal with it....

although, some complaints should be made.........  

Ri_Ri

SC_Anubis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:41 pm
indeed, heads shall roll......

no seriously now, I have always gotten that kind of rap from my own family and their friends. They think I'm dangerous and one time I was accused of plotting the murder of this one family friend's son. She claims that a 'psychic' told her this, but isn't it a little hypocritical for a hardcore orthodox jew to pay a psychic for readings about other people? That never seemed quite right to me. Even still I get the wierd looks and people telling their kids to stay away from me. Even at the library where I'm supposed to have free reign is full of it. Then theres the occasional a$$ that tries to call me out whenever he drives past me. Why don't people aknowlege the fact that its us that are the ones in danger hear? I've had a few friends beaten to a bloody pulp because they didn't look as prissy as the jocks.

I guess our cries will forever fall on def ears, won't they? Its no wonder covens flourish around here.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:02 pm
Never take fox news seriously. smile

Deleted Accnt

Valyne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:00 am
I did not see the segment, but the thingthats pissing me off that im noticing in pop culture and just in general is...
how goths are being considered Emo
so many times iv'e been refrenced to being "emo" it is soo annoying

sorry if im going off topic, i could go on for a while haha  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:47 pm
Faithless Aloysius

Agreed. You're better off not watching it at all.  

The Evil Rabbit

Naztakuan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:46 am
the media alomost NEVER gets any subculture right. I love to watch that show Frasier but there was one episode where Frederick decides be a "goth"..if that's what you want to call it. He looked like a greased up metal head. And all they would say is .."that's soooo goth". Totally lame. As if goths are just some vapid fashion challenged teens who's very existence centers around being a rebel. That's a spooky kid..not a goth..LAME!  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 pm
Neurotic Noir

never take any media outlet too seriously and always dissect the commercials, they compose those things as a form of hypnotisms.  

AEtherclaw

Life Issues & Fashion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff