Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Firebender_Reia's Thread of Random WIPs/Sketches

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Firebender_Reia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:59 pm
Well, here's my stuff. Any help would be much appreciated! smile

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Okay, this a picture I was working on; I'm trying to personify each of the seasons (this one happens to be autumn). Things I like: I like his hair (minus the wormy things) I like the way I was able to shade his skin tone, I like the eyes, and the lines.
Things I would like help on: Well, I want him to be poking a fireplace, but a) I don't know how to do fire and b) I'm not sure how to add the awkward lighting to the face, clothes, chair/stool, etc. I'm sure there's some weird squigglies in the cloth that shouldn't be there as well. And finally, I want his hair to have like branches, leaves, and dead grass in it, but so far, when I tried for branches it looks like worms.
Help would be appreciated!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:02 pm
I wish the picture was a little bigger so I could see it better. The thing to keep in mind when making clothing folds is where the tense is compared to the bends in the figure. For example, the knee should be wrinkled in the back where the bend is, but not where the knee cap is. I think your cocept for the hair sounds cool but I really can't tell what you already have so I'm not sure how to help you more.  

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

Firebender_Reia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:38 pm
Chaotic Mana
I wish the picture was a little bigger so I could see it better. The thing to keep in mind when making clothing folds is where the tense is compared to the bends in the figure. For example, the knee should be wrinkled in the back where the bend is, but not where the knee cap is. I think your cocept for the hair sounds cool but I really can't tell what you already have so I'm not sure how to help you more.

Okay, I've reposted it with a large version. Didn't think it was gonna be that small... Oh well. So, the wrinkles on the pants should be on the back instead of the front... got it...  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:06 pm
Ok i think the problem that you are having with your hair is the fact that it isn't distinct enough. The twigs don't have any lineart on them while the rest of your picture does. Also, they look like they have lower opacity, either that or the edges are too feather. I think that is why they look kind of wormy. Now that I look at the hair... where is her/his ear? Your forearms need to be wider at the top and thinner in comparison at the wrist. The way they are now makes them look too much like tubes. I really enjoy the little details you've put into this like the stiching on the shoes and the acorn necklace. The eye shape is also pretty nice.  

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces