Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Ancestor Work - Under construction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Please let me know if you read this:
  Yes. Thanks.
  Yes and it was useful.
  Yes; see comments in-thread.
View Results

Haloquine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 pm
Ancestor Work

I have recently started an active Ancestor Alter. For a long time I've given them honour regularly but in passing, and one or two of them have been quite active in my life. Recently its been becoming more and more prominent, so I've finally decided to dedicate proper time and effort to developing my relationship with my Ancestors and Beloved Dead. I figured that, as it is such a central part of so many paths, it might be useful to share my take on it here, and how it develops for me over time, in case there is anything others might find useful in what I stumble across.

Of course, this also is for others to share their experiences with Ancestor work, I like to learn too. smile

Table of Contents
1. You are here
2. An introduction - or why I think its important.
3. The Alter - A Focal Point
4. Approaching your beloved Dead
5. Blood-kin Vs. Non Blood-kin - Also, my comments on non-human dead.
6. Context
7. Resources and Bibliography
8. Reserved - just in case
9. My Status - how its going so far.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:58 pm

2. Introduction

Ancestors are in our blood, they are those who came before us and they built the world we live in now. We stand on their shoulders. Our ancestors are our foundation, and as such, they deserve to be remembered.

As a magic-wielder I recognise that I am a part of the world around me, I am grateful for the world I live in, for everything that supports and nurtures and challenges me. My Ancestors are a part of this world too.

So many cultures honour their ancestors, even in secular Western society we keep pictures in remembrance and visit the graves of our beloved dead. After tragedies or untimely deaths we spontaneously erect alters for the people that died, and have dedicated remembrance days where everyone takes a moment to honour the dead. This indicates to me that it is a natural human activity and so I wondered why this might be from a spiritual or magical perspective.

I have so far concluded that it is for Connection. These are all ways of honouring, and thereby connecting, with our past, and specifically with those people who meant something to us. It is a way of keeping that individual as part of the family (be it close or extended).

By keeping these people close and connected we can gain comfort and learn from them. In return we, in a very real way, keep them alive in our hearts and our lives.

So, honouring the ancestors is, firstly, just that; Showing them honour and gratitude for the part they played in creating myself and the world I live in. Secondly, it keeps them alive and keeps us connected. Thirdly, its a way of looking after and being looked after my family. The number of times my Great Nana has offered comfort since she died, or my cat has wandered in and lifted my spirits from beyond the grave, so to speak, has been heartening and I'd like to give something back.

I genuinely believe that we do, in at least some way, continue on after death. And I'm better at keeping in touch with family this way than through letters! wink

Haloquine

Haloquine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:00 pm

3. The Alter

Why?
Shapes and Sizes -
>Box alters
>Wall alters
>Portable alters
>Stang alters

Coming soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:01 pm

4. Approaching Your Beloved Dead

Basically, create a space which is conducive for you to feel receptive.
Make sure that space is one you are comfortable inviting your Ancestors into (you might want to tidy up, or dust a little, or hide the underwear!).
You might want to find something that reminds you of your ancestral ties, your family. You might want to collect mementos together and arrange them in front of you. Alternatively, you can light a candle as a focus. Or use an alter.
Either with or without a focal point, however you feel most comfortable and can work best, calm your breathing and relax. Do some sitting meditation if you like.
Say a prayer to any deities you feel might help you, or any guides you feel called to ask for help.

Now concentrate on your ancestors.

I found it helpful to focus on my Great Nana as she has been around in meditations and such since she died and has shown a deesire to help.

If you do not know any of them, say their names, or even just say a prayer to 'your ancestors'.

Be polite, imagine you're building relationships with archetypal grandparents, or a partner's parents.

Many cultures give offerings. A glass, or several glasses, of fresh water is often recommended. If you know there is something specific ancestors you want to talk to liked, offer a little of that. I pour a small cup of freshly brewed tea and offer ginger biscuits - because ginger biscuits were what I felt compelled to offer. You might like to wander round the supermarket, open to suggestions on what to offer, just remember that you can say 'thats too expensive, sorry, how about this alternative?' As long as it is true of course.

So, concentrate, pray, be open, and listen.

I found this to be a good guideline; treat them as you would normal visiting relatives, except that they don't necessarily need chairs - even if they might prefer it.

Ask them how they are. Tell them how your life is going. Listen.

Ask for guidance on what sort of things you should do in your work with them. Or ask for advice in other parts of life if you need it.

When you've been there for a reasonable amount of time and you feel it is time to stop then say so. Say goodbye, and let them know you plan to contact them regularly - if you do.

I recommend making notes on any suggestions they make, and any thing they say. You may get confirmation of comments a little later on. And its worth trying to do what they suggest - within reason. (Always remember that you are hearing them through your own personal filters, if you're not sure about something, or it sounds too much like what you want to hear, then check your own motivations and use your judgement. Also, just because they're dead, it doesn't mean they're right.)

It gets easier to listen over time.

Haloquine

Haloquine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:02 pm

5. Blood-kin and non Blood-kin

(I suspect I will need to edit this for clarity later, but here are some thoughts.)

One question I've seen asked often is whether people should honour non-blood related people as ancestors.

My personal take on this is yes.

First off, you could be adopted, but you are still part of that family, the blood ties do not over-ride ties you have with your adopted family, this family has shaped you and the world you live in, and they have a vested interest in your welfare and wellbeing... (if you accept that ancestors have a vested interest in you generally). Family is more than just blood.

Individuals who have married into the family are not blood-related, but they are still family. The luck of the family is relevent to them as well.

I personally include a family pet in my ancestor workings, I grew up with her and she died recently. Since then she has been around, supporting me in a similar way to my Great Nana, albeit with a feline twist.

There are a miriad of people who have acted in a role which could be considered ancestral, and yet are not blood related, these can be considered to be spiritual ancestors, or ancestors of choice.

It seems to me that 'ancestor' denotes someone who has helped create you as who you are now, someone who is in some sense family. Some you will want to honour, some you may want to pray for but not invite into your life. "Ancestor worship" is, here, about dead family rather than those who are alive.

I believe this idea to be the reason that some traditions honour their "Beloved Dead" rather than use the term 'ancestor'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:03 pm

6. Context

Coming soon!

Haloquine

Haloquine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm

7. Resources and Bibliography

Exploring The Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova
--- This book is obviously about 'the Northern Tradition' but it has very useful sections on Ancestor work which seem to apply nearly universally to cultures as a framework for honouring the Beloved Dead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 pm

8. Reserved

Just in Case...

Haloquine

Haloquine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:11 pm

9. My Status

Here I'll put brief points as I come across them and updates on what I'm doing, partly to share things I think might be helpful, and partly so you can see I'm doing the work!

February 1st 2008 Build Ancestral Alter - Box style. Spend time each day talking to Ancestors.
February 3rd 2008 Bake bread in Ancestors honour - a mini-ancestor feast.
February 5th 2008 Create thread to share insights.

PathWays

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games