Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Serious Discussion
Should insane people take resposibility for their actions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SapphireSara3
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:09 pm
@ Noltic: I understand what you mean when you say they need punishment to realize what they've done is wrong, but in my opinion jail just makes a person more insane. If you're being watched 24 hours a day you're paralyzed in fear and most people feel guilty for their crimes anyhow, so it just puts more pressure and stress on them.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:04 am
SapphireSara3
@ Noltic: I understand what you mean when you say they need punishment to realize what they've done is wrong, but in my opinion jail just makes a person more insane. If you're being watched 24 hours a day you're paralyzed in fear and most people feel guilty for their crimes anyhow, so it just puts more pressure and stress on them.

Ahh... attention from one of the higher ups... i almost feel important among my guildmates.

As far as jail goes, i didnt say thats where they shoudl go. I simply said persecution's job is to remove them from society, and if justice is blind, then a theif is a theif, and they get "removed" from society. As for where they go, thats up to a judge with perfect vision... or corrective lenses.

As such, we have asylums. Places where people go to live. They are also unlike prisons. Some poeple go there to get help and overcome their illness, its possible. Others are less lucky, and remain there.

As divinity would have it, most people that are locked away for the rest of their lives and drugged and watched, live in their own little world anyways.

Just remember that as humans we feel pity, and guilt, however lady justice, the protector of our society does not.  

Noltic

TillxGone
Crew

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:10 pm
User ImageUser Image

User Image{ o3o
It depends on what actions they did.
Small or minor I think should be left off with a warning.
But, if it's big or something that should be taken seriously, then some type of action should be placed in order towards them.
}User Image

User ImageUser Image  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:47 pm
Just because a person is insane, it doesn't mean they should be excused from anything. If an insane person runs into a church and pees in the Holy Water, should he or she not be punished by God? I think not! A sin is a sin, and anyone who sins needs to take responsibility.

But then again, I wouldn't know because I'm atheist. But anyway, that was just a rhetorical question, so I don't need the answer.  

HuoXingC

2,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Reina-T

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:48 pm
They should take responsibility for their actions as anyone else would have to. Just because they aren't in complete control of their thoughts or actions, it doesn't excuse the crime.

But don't get me wrong. It isn't about "justice" or punishment.

They just need to take responsibility in the sense that they did it and now they have to deal with a consequence because of that. By this I mean something like being sectioned for being mentally unstable and having treatment forced on them, or being deemed unsafe to society and having to be put away in a home until they're seen as otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 pm
Hmm... I wonder about this too....
Well, it depends on the type of punishment. For example, (we're talking legally and such, here) if you kill someone, but you're insane and couldn't control it, you shouldn't be given the death penalty or anything, but you would still be a threat to others, so life imprisonment is more feasible.
Manslaughter is a punishable crime, even though it is murder by accident, so I believe that murder, even if insane, should be a punishable crime as well.

I hope this helped... sweatdrop

~ELmihy  

Elmihy

PinkDawg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:46 pm
Shryle
Meh, I kinda agree. If you ever saw Ron White, he puts it perfectly. I'm not gonna say the whole thing, or any at all, but it makes sense. XD
Also, honestly, I think mentally deficient people should have some sort of punishment also.
Yeah, I understand they can think as well ad I can, but still.
If you kill someone, it isn't right, ya know?
They understand what they're doing to a point, they just don't understand that killing someone... Is well, killing someone. XD
I guess I can't say that, for I don't really know what they know.
So same goes for insane people.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree

There was one point in our history (the 1800s) where we used to do inhumane things on the mentally ill and retarded, i.e. imprisoned in cages and tortured to 'achieve obedience', but that really is unfair. People who are mentally retarded cannot think as well as you can, that should come to you as soon as you see the term 'mentally retarded', and their access to weapons and techniques used for killing is not their fault at all, yes the kill is, but if people show one who is at a mental deficit a movie, or a real life situation that shows people strangling, stabbing, shooting, and things of that nature, they might be tempted to replicate those actions. Their reality is closer to that of a movie's than any of ours.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 pm
If you can't control your actions you're only 'technically' alive. By my standards anyway. Alive but not living. Whatever you want to call it.
But mentally insane people; I believe should have a different,or half, punishment.

real srs

cannaybis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:16 pm
sunnyxdaze
Because you still did it.
Even someone with good intentions should be because they were responsible whether or not they tried to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:36 pm
User Image

That is why they have pleas of insanity in court.

Encarton
Crew

Phantom

Serious Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out