Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply General Harry Potter Discussions
I think Dumbledore was a Slytherin.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dumbledore?
  Gryffindor- obviously. You crazy bint.
  Slytherin- You're totally right.
  Ravenclaw- He was real smart!
  Hufflepuff- He loved everyone!
View Results

Drakie Cakie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I mean, most expect him to be a Gryffindor because that's the main House mentioned in the books, but after reading DH, I think he's a Slytherin. He's manipulative, sneaky, clever, and quite a bit selfish if what he said about himself and Grindlewald was true.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:02 am

I'd have to agree. He wasn't very Gryffindor-ish was he? I think he was either a Slytherin, or a Ravenclaw, which is how he managed to rationalise his behaviour and views of doing everything for the 'greater good'.

Shi-koi

6,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200

LilMeady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:08 am
I don't believe he was a Slytherin. Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. There is a fine line between the houses so just because he was nseaky, manipulative and such does not automatically put him into Slytherin. He could be a Ravenclaw because he thought everything over and attempted rationality. Or he was a Gryffindor with Slytherin tendencies. I hardly see a Slytherin type being like Dumbledore, preaching how important love is and such.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:16 pm
I do believe Jo has said he was Gryffindor. And I don't see it hard to believe. I mean, he did have to defeat Grindelwald--his love. That takes a very brave person.

Perhaps he had some Slytherin tendencies, but if you take a good hard look at yourself and people around you, no one is truly one thing or another.

Besides which, look at Peter Pettigrew. He wasn't much of a Gryffindor later in life, yet, there he was with the Marauders.

I'm tired and sick, forgive my incoherency. It sounded good in my head. ^_^

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200

Pearls of Dimond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:05 pm
I don't recall Jo saying he was Gryffindor, but I'm happy to believe you if you find it.
Another example: Severus Snape. I know not everyone agrees with me, but even Dumbledore said that he thought Severus was sorted too soon and ended up better than what was given to him.
I've thought he was in Ravenclaw for a while now.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 pm
That is quite possible.

I mean, look at Regulus. He was a Slytherin, did some bad things, realized the error of his ways, and made the ultimate sacrifice to right things.

Sound familiar?  

Kiera Greyback

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:49 am
In the Goblet of Fire film, when Dumbledore is in Harry's dormitory he says: "I never liked these curtains. Set them on fire in my fourth year"

I think it's incredibly hard to actually sort people, and it doesn't help that the qualities of each house seem to CHANGE from book to book. Slytherin house seems to wobble from "Oh, those rich a*****e kids" or "ambitious and cunning" to "all the whinny cowards we hate", and it's really frustrating.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:57 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
In the Goblet of Fire film, when Dumbledore is in Harry's dormitory he says: "I never liked these curtains. Set them on fire in my fourth year"

I think it's incredibly hard to actually sort people, and it doesn't help that the qualities of each house seem to CHANGE from book to book. Slytherin house seems to wobble from "Oh, those rich a*****e kids" or "ambitious and cunning" to "all the whinny cowards we hate", and it's really frustrating.

With Slytherin you've pretty much got a house full of this. In a word, schismatic. What you posted made me think immediately of Raskolnikov and Hamlet for some reason.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of that sort of archetype, so I don't have a problem with it, but yeah, I can see how Slytherin could get on readers' nerves.  

Kiera Greyback

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:39 pm
Kiera Greyback
[Ren The Ryoko]

With Slytherin you've pretty much got a house full of this. In a word, schismatic. What you posted made me think immediately of Raskolnikov and Hamlet for some reason.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of that sort of archetype, so I don't have a problem with it, but yeah, I can see how Slytherin could get on readers' nerves.

I like Slytherins generally. I just really dislike the way JKR pigeon-holed them as bad guys inherently a lot of times.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 am
I like the fact that she has them as the bad-guys.

They are as a majority, powerful, cunning, and cutt-throat.
Those qualities by default, are likely to put you at risk for doing wonderfully terrible things. After all, absolute power corrupts corrupts absolutely. This is why slytherins like spoiler? Snape are so amazing, or the Malfoy's so complex. They are raised and molded around a certain pure-blood ideology, that they are better and that they have to do anything to prove it. Every house follows an Archtype or even a stereo type.

The Gryfindors are also, very brash, very rude, and very rowdy and defiant by nature. Take into account the fact that they are sorted when they are about 11-12 and well.....At that the age, most children lack certain complexities because they have not yet been exposed to life.

However, Dumbledore did show a lot of brave qualities and there are many illusions, if not confirmations that he was in Gryfindor house. Particularly the line about him setting the drapes on fire.  

The Insane Azrael

6,900 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
General Harry Potter Discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items