Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Vegetable Samosas

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

greenbland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:58 pm
i found this delicious light meal/snack in a cookbook. :] it's pretty good because i made it. it's a vegetarian meal, but i don't know if it's vegan friendly.
so here it is:

what you need:
filling:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion chopped
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch of turmic
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2 cups of potatoes diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 cups of spinach, chopped
pastry:
12 sheets of filo pasty
(found in frozen section by pies stuff, get one box)
deep-fry (oil for deep-fry)

the filo pasties are really hard to work with. i suggest you don't pull the filo pasty sheets out of the freezer until you are ready to put them in the deep fryer.

first:to make filling heat the oil in a skillet and put the onions in for about 1-2 minutes, stir until soften. Stir in all of the spices and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
after that, add the potatoes and cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes, stir until soften. then stir in peas and spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes.
then, lay filo pasty sheets out on flat surface and fold each one in half. after that, place 2 tablespoons of the vegetable filling on the sheet. Fold the sheet over in one corner to make triangle. Continue folding in this way to make a triangle package and seal edges with water so the vegetables don't fall out when you put them in the deep-fryer. do that for all of the pasties.
finally, heat the oil in the deep-fryer to 180°C/350°F. Fry the samosas, in batches, for 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towel to get the grease off. (make sure you get the grease off because if you eat it with the grease it'll hurt your tummy i found that out the hard way).
and then serve it! biggrin

i made them with my grandmother and me, her, and my grandpa all enjoyed it. :] i hope you do.,
if you have any questions just ask!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:39 pm

I don't have a deep-fryer. =/
My heart probably thanks me.

loony x lovegood
Crew

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:44 am
You can deep-fry food without owning an actual deep-fryer. You just fill a pot with veggie oil, heat it over the stove, and place the samosas or whatever you are making into the oil, then remove them with a slotted spoon once they are golden brown. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:17 pm
The best samosa's I've ever had were brushed with oil and baked. ._.  

Lady Schist

Guin Korishi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:00 pm
I think the filo sheets are non-vegan, but I'm not 100% sure  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out