Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ninetails Random Art *New Picture*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nine Tailed Ookami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:11 pm
Hello, My name is Ninetails. You can call me Nine or Colleen. Either which is fine with me.

Anyway, I began drawing when I was young and focused mostly on animals until around a year or so ago. I'm 16 and my birthday is in February and I don't have a lot of free time but when I do I usually spend it doodling or something to that effect.

Ummm...I'm a junior in high school and I plan on majoring in architecture when I get to college, with a minor in Egyptology :3

So far I only have this one for you to look at...at least out of my art this is the only one I think is presentable *shrug*

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:34 pm
She doesn't have hands! surprised

Anyway, your proportions are pretty good. One thing I noticed right off the bat was that her head was placed too far to the right, so it doesn't look like it's really connected to her neck. You might also want to experiment with shading... right now, everything's pretty flat. Here's a good pencil shading tutorial, and another one. They're both pretty wordy, but they have a lot of valuable information.  

Ishrie

Nine Tailed Ookami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:43 am
There supposed to covered by the sleeves :3

Alright I didn't notice that her head looked so off until now. I'll go try the shading too. Thanks for your critique!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:56 am
Ah, well then her sleeves should be quite a bit longer. A person's fingertips end halfway through the thigh, and right now the sleeves barely touch the crotch mark.

You're welcome! ^^  

Ishrie

Nine Tailed Ookami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 am
I see, I see. I'll fix that on the drawing before I color or shade it.

heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:20 pm
This one is just an outline sketch so I need to color it

User Image  

Nine Tailed Ookami

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:34 pm
My first suggestion would be to start drawing on non-lined paper. Drawing on lined paper looks sloppy and it makes it more difficult to color your image on the computer.

Both of their ears should be brought closer in towards their faces. The back of the left guy's head should be rounder, and you should make his beard with more jagged lines so that it looks like hair.

The pose is very cute, and the profiles are relatively well-proportioned given your style.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:39 pm
Agreed with Pomato on the non-lined paper. I know it's tough to get out of (I used to love it, too) because it helps you position things, but that's what guidelines are for!

Now, Ishrie noted that your work seems very flat. That is also due to lack of folds in fabric. Now, everybody gets stuck on this, it's a really tough part of drawing people. But it takes practice; just like anything else would.
http://kitten-chan.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Clothes-and-Folds-40875508

Head Tut
Face & Expressions Tut (links to other tuts in descrip, too)  

KotokoPlum

loontje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:36 am
Here is a very quick draw over. I mainly focused on her eyes, but I hope it helps anyway. wink  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games