Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Egyptian Recon

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:48 pm
Does anybody have information of any groups? Books with ritual? Resources? Relevant information?

I'm very interested in Ancient Egyptian tradition, but having a hard time finding a path that I can follow. I've been studying what I can, and would love it if anyone can offer me information aside from the books Tea recommended me (I will buy them once I have the money). I'm also not interested in joining Kemetic Orthodoxy.

To elaborate: At times I feel like I'm being given favor by Bast, at other times I don't feel her presence at all, which makes me doubt whether it was actually her to begin with. My spiritual attitude has been all over the place, from Christianity (which I never fully believed), to atheism, to fluffy "Wicca," to Buddhism, and now this. I'm just not sure what to expect and it's driving me nuts. I try to alleviate this by studying but something tells me things like this can't be learned from books alone. I don't know how else to proceed.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:00 am
http://www.kemet.org/home.html

All I can give you is a respectabe link, I'm afraid. Kemetic recon is my weak-point.  

patch99329

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:49 am
Even if you are not interested in joining Kemetic Orthodoxy you can still take the beginner's course just to get a starting point. I took the class about a year ago and that's where I got all of my beginning information.

I can't say I've read any books made for Egyptian recon, or that I've really seen any around. I've got most of my information from books about Ancient Egyptian history and from websites. Here's one that I really like: http://www.philae.nu/akhet/index.html

All I can say is keep researching and read as much as you can.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:22 pm
Even if you don't want to take the Beginner's Course or can't for any reason, the House of Netjer forums are a great place to hang out for many with Egyptian interests.

As for not feeling Bast's presence...Her absence doesn't necessarily mean She wasn't there earlier. Sometimes gods have other things to do. razz Bast is also one of the more individualized gods--compared to Someone like Geb or Nut Who should be there as long as you are standing on the ground or have the night sky overhead. I may not always be paying attention to Geb-under-my-feet, or be actively conscious of the stars even in daylight, but They are there and with a little concentration I can usually sense Them-as-Names within/as Their domains.

Bast is rather a different kettle of fish. Try inviting Her, or giving something to Her. Time will tell whether you are speaking to Her.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Time will tell whether you are speaking to Her.
Time and testing. Unless one is happy working with/for a Deity-Shaped Thoughtform. ~shrugs~  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm
TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
Time and testing. Unless one is happy working with/for a Deity-Shaped Thoughtform. ~shrugs~
I should have been more clear. 3nodding In my head I was implying time + testing, but it was not obvious on "paper" to infer that from my statement.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:47 pm
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
TheDisreputableDog
I should have been more clear. 3nodding In my head I was implying time + testing, but it was not obvious on "paper" to infer that from my statement.
Meh. You know me- always a stickler.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:54 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Even if you don't want to take the Beginner's Course or can't for any reason, the House of Netjer forums are a great place to hang out for many with Egyptian interests.

As for not feeling Bast's presence...Her absence doesn't necessarily mean She wasn't there earlier. Sometimes gods have other things to do. razz Bast is also one of the more individualized gods--compared to Someone like Geb or Nut Who should be there as long as you are standing on the ground or have the night sky overhead. I may not always be paying attention to Geb-under-my-feet, or be actively conscious of the stars even in daylight, but They are there and with a little concentration I can usually sense Them-as-Names within/as Their domains.

Bast is rather a different kettle of fish. Try inviting Her, or giving something to Her. Time will tell whether you are speaking to Her.

Thanks for elaborating, and thank you everyone for the websites.

I think Christian thought has invaded my mind more than I realize. I keep forgetting that not all gods are omnipresent and omniscient, and that I have to invite Her to speak with me and let Her know what's been going on. I just got accepted into the House of Netjer forums and will probably make use of my time there as well. Once I get up the energy I'll make another post on the differences between modern and ancient Egyptian psyche and why it's been a hang up for me.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:15 am
Sophist

I think Christian thought has invaded my mind more than I realize. I keep forgetting that not all gods are omnipresent and omniscient, ...
Of note- it might not even be a function of this.

While it is possible to project too much humanity onto the gods- other gods seem to embrace subtle aspects of human interaction- not the least of which might be a desire to be asked.

Even the Christian deity expects this much.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:53 am
TeaDidikai
Sophist

I think Christian thought has invaded my mind more than I realize. I keep forgetting that not all gods are omnipresent and omniscient, ...
Of note- it might not even be a function of this.

While it is possible to project too much humanity onto the gods- other gods seem to embrace subtle aspects of human interaction- not the least of which might be a desire to be asked.

Even the Christian deity expects this much.

I've never really learned how to develop a relationship with a deity, not even when I was Christian, so something so simple as asking had escaped me. I'm still learning.  

Bastemhet

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff