Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Arezou's Workbench ~ Updated! page 2 ~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xyirii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:35 am
Wow..I am honestly floored by your artwork. o____o; There's nothing but improvement from here, and I can only imagine what you'd be like in even a year.

I started in the art world seriously at the age of nine as well. Such an age of curiosity and exploration.

I think one thing in particular you should try and revise is the angle of the head. It seems like the head is portraying one direction, and the rest of the body is portraying another. Possibly tilting it to the right more so you can see just a touch more of the underside of the beak. I'd definitely work on the luminosity of the metal, but, one question: what are your light sources, and what directions are they coming from? Are they more ambient light sources or direct? That may also have an affect on how you shadow the metal. Ambient will leave a more soft highlight and more reflecting color pulled in, whereas direct will be very brilliant with little reflecting color pulled in.

One more thing....this was nagging at me a little...is this metal armor she is sporting? Or is it more like extremely metallic but flexible textiles? If it is indeed armor, I'd suggest defining some sort of seam where the arm connects with the rest of it to make it look a little more plausible. If it's textile-like, then it's perfect the way it is =D.

Overall....I love scarves...especially red ones...and I love fantasy-style work. My main art mentor in real life has a similar style to this, except he achieves his color through markers and colored pencil. This will be an amazing image once it's complete.

Once you become an artist...you'll always be an artist...even if you never touch a pencil or tablet to draw again...you don't have to produce things to be an artist...it's simply how you see and perceive...Good Luck! ~<3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm
Three words-- Drop dread gorgeous!

I'm floored by your art. I wish I had more I could say, but you'll just have to believe that I'm completely in love with your style and talent. Very inspirational, really. 3nodding  

Avali_Sunstrider

Viceregal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:55 pm
I just finished this a few days ago. It's actually two drawings which were created seperately superimposed into one image using photoshop. It's the first time I've attempted anything like that...or drawn a monster with 4 arms.

Does it look like a complete image? Do you find that it's easy to look at the picture or is it too chaotic? Any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:44 am
Cool stuff, very nice pencil shading. I think it looks like a complete picture and it definately doesn't look too chaotic. Wish I could heolp more.  

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

Xyirii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:21 pm
Arezou - The Dream Walker
I just finished this a few days ago. It's actually two drawings which were created seperately superimposed into one image using photoshop. It's the first time I've attempted anything like that...or drawn a monster with 4 arms.

Does it look like a complete image? Do you find that it's easy to look at the picture or is it too chaotic? Any advice?

It looks fairly complete. Rather well done composition. I'd actually suggest darkening your shadows a little, though, and possibly adding slight textures to some things to differ between surfaces. The shading is amazingly done, but it still seems a little flat because the shading looks like it was done with just one shade of drawing pencil. I might suggest using an ebony pencil to get the shadows darker, and if you ever have problems with keeping white highlights and such white, white ink and a stylus really do work wonders on that kind of a thing. Also, just to tie the two images together a little better, draw a few more rock-like patches that flows from the background drawing to the foreground drawing. That might tie it together even more and solidify it as an even more complete image. I can kind of tell that it was superimposed because of the white fading off around the foreground image. As for chaotic, the depth in the shading will probably take care of that appearance because then there is more definition to define what elements and forms are in the image itself. Also, another thing that leads to the impression of it being superimposed is the fact that the image in the background is kind of blurry, almost out of focus, compared to the foreground image which has nice crisp lines and details. If you could figure out a way to balance those out, it would look absolutely amazing.

I hope that helps. Overall, I really am impressed. I truly love the work you do. Take care. ~<3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:23 pm
I used the blur intentionally to force the illusion of size and distance but it just ends up looking like a bad scan.
My shading does go a long way into giving demention to shapes but they still always wind up looking flat. I think this is because there is a lack of a clear light source and contrast. Sometimes the simplest shadows do more to create depth. It's something i'm struggling with. Could you suggest any way to learn how to improve this? Tutorials and resources maybe?

I am not sure what you mean by "ebony pencil". Do you mean a black colored pencil, or a pencil with a softer lead so that it comes out darker?

Definately agree with the pebbles. I didn't even think of that at the time.

Also, if it is not too much trouble, could you use normal sized font when replying here. I have really bad eye sight.

Thank you for your time and contribution!

Viceregal

Xyirii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:55 pm
No worries. It is a softer leaded pencil, but the lead itself is really dark. They are called ebony pencils, but they do have other names depending upon the brand. I could give you a few tips on depth shading if you'd like. You're not far off from getting it down. It took me a long time to get the hang of it, myself. One thing I have learned, though, is that contrast provides a better appearance than smooth shading. I'll get back to working on my pencil shading tut, in the mean time. o_o

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:33 am
That looks awesome. The guy looks a bit unstable in how he's standing (and girly.) but that's not a big deal.

I do think you should do something to separate your foreground though. The penciling is pretty consistent and it's hard to gauge distance. You could either lighten or darken either. (Add a little atmosphere or something. I dunno.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Viceregal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:08 am
Errol McGillivray
The guy looks a bit (girly.)

That made me laugh the first time I read it. It's funny because it's true. My friends have corrupted me with their yaoi. Now all the males I draw look girly!

I'm afraid I don't have any more works in progress to share. I've been working on a mini comic for an art contest involving that "girly" man as the main character. Though honestly I am mostly doing it for fun because I think the character is interesting.

If you'd like to see it you can visit my DeviantArt gallery. There are 4 pages so far. Feel free to critique anything you see (or read. First meaningful attempt at a comic ever)

~*~

I'd like to thank you so much for what you have all done for me. Coming here has provided a well needed boost for my creativity, confidence and motivation.

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff