Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Momo's Drawing (Help Please)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Momo Kiyoko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:52 pm
Hi I'm Momo, I'm not that good at drawing so........ Help... sweatdrop Well how about I show you one of my drawings? What do you think? (Be nice please.)
User Image
(All done in pencil, as you can see.) Edit: Sorry if I was not clear on what I need help on. I need help with is that if you see something wrong please point it out, and maybe tell me how to fix it or something. (But be nice please.)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:00 am
Picture is kind of small and I can't see a lot of details, so it's hard to give super helpful critique (but I'll try ^^).

I can see two big problems you should work on for the future.

1. Hands can be hard to draw, but hiding them behind the character likes that makes her arms look like stumps. If you do want her to pose with hands behind her back then make sure to emphasise the bend in the elbow so that her arms don't look like noodles.

2. Her calves are the size of her thighs! That's preeeeeeeetty big. Make them a tad skinnier and it should look better.

Hope this helps!  

moottza

Viceregal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:31 pm
Before I can really give any meaningful help I'd like to know what your intentions were. I also need to know what you'd specifically like help with. I ask because beefy legs and feet aren't necessarily a flaw. Some artists like to exaggerate features as part of their style. Here is an example:

- MarkMoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:50 pm
Arezou - The Dream Walker
Before I can really give any meaningful help I'd like to know what your intentions were. I also need to know what you'd specifically like help with. I ask because beefy legs and feet aren't necessarily a flaw. Some artists like to exaggerate features as part of their style. Here is an example:

- MarkMoore
Oh sorry! Just to ask by intentions do you mean why I drew it? Or why I posted it? (Oh well I'll answer both. But if I got what you ment wrong please tell me.) The reason I drew it was because I like to draw, and anything that comes to me I draw. And this used to be what my avi looked like before I changed it, and I like to draw my avi. The reason I'm posting it is to get some help so that I can get better.(Sorry if I got what you meant wrong.)  

Momo Kiyoko

Viceregal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:21 pm
By intention I mean does the picture look the way you want it to.

If your picture doesn't look the way you want it to - why not? What parts of it do you want to change? What parts of it do you feel you could do better on?

Once we know that we can start giving you specific tips, tutorials and reference material to help you with the thing you want to work on most.
Right now all we can do is offer opinions about how we feel your art should look - which really isn't fair to you.

I mean - I like drawing muscley women. Most people think women should look like magazine models. When they tell me I should try to make my women look like super models they are ignoring the fact that I draw my women with big muscles on purpose.

So I can't say to you "she needs to have skinnier legs" because maybe you wanted them to look big. I don't know what you wanted yet, so I don't feel right telling you what you should work on. *^^*

Know what I mean?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:31 am
Arezou - The Dream Walker
By intention I mean does the picture look the way you want it to.

If your picture doesn't look the way you want it to - why not? What parts of it do you want to change? What parts of it do you feel you could do better on?

Once we know that we can start giving you specific tips, tutorials and reference material to help you with the thing you want to work on most.
Right now all we can do is offer opinions about how we feel your art should look - which really isn't fair to you.

I mean - I like drawing muscley women. Most people think women should look like magazine models. When they tell me I should try to make my women look like super models they are ignoring the fact that I draw my women with big muscles on purpose.

So I can't say to you "she needs to have skinnier legs" because maybe you wanted them to look big. I don't know what you wanted yet, so I don't feel right telling you what you should work on. *^^*

Know what I mean?

Oh sorry, but yes now I know what you mean. Yes this is how I wanted her to look. I don't like to do "super model" legs because they are sooo skinny, and everyone is not that skinny. So yeah she did turn out like I wanted her. But I usally miss things, like the eyes are off, the legs look odd, that sort of thing. Too me the skirt seems off, is it?  

Momo Kiyoko

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:07 pm
My main suggestion right now was going to be just that - to have in mind what kind of body you want to give to your character. It's so nice that you already do! biggrin

I will proceed then, suggesting that you do a little research (I mean observing diverse people who have the kind of body you want to portray), so you'll notice what do they have in common.
For example, here: usually, girls with thick thighs do not have such thin arms. In my point of view, she has one kind of body waist-up, and another one waist-down. (Well, that can happen XD But I'm talking about the most usual here).

And about exaggeration: when you want to exaggerate a feature of your drawing - and want people to understand at a glance that you did it on purpose -, be bold! Like this artist, Mark Moore, that Arezou mentioned: he doesn't draw tighs "a little thick", but "very thick". ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:54 pm
What Is A Reference? - A reference is material from reality which demonstrates what an artists needs in order to finish their work. It can be a photograph, objects, scenery and people.

Why Use Reference? Reference can help show an artist what something is supposed to look like when they are having trouble drawing it from memory.

Who Uses Reference? All kinds of artists use references even artists who draw cartoons, artists who draw furries and artists who draw science fiction and fantasy.

Why Are you Telling Me This?! I felt that using some good references would really help you out!

~*~

User Image

When we look at the reference we can now see the areas you can work on: knees, ankles and feet. I have pointed out a few differences to take note of.

References To Help With This Drawing:
Beach Shot 17
Beach Shot 28
Stock Serie 6

Horse Tail
Cat Tail
Dog/Wolf Tail

Tutorials to Help You With This Drawing:
Anime Art Lesson: The Face - drawing an anime face in different angles.
Basic guidlines for EYES - positioning eyes on an anime face.

~*~

I hope this has been helpful. Please feel free to ask more questions and update us with any progress!

Viceregal

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff