Reply Music - Related Topics
Best of 2007

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xStephanx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:42 pm
Well, we're a few weeks away from closing it, so what was the best? For me, it was:

Angels & Agony - Unison
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Positive and inspiring lyrics, uplifting melodies and chunky EBM kick drums. The vocals have traditionally brought down Angels & Agony, but on several tracks on Unison the vocals prove to be a rival to VNV or Assemblage 23. Awesome.

Stand out track: Forward

Assemblage 23 - meta

Not quite on a par with Failure, but an incredible album none the less.

Stand out track: Binary

Dreamcypher - The Cruxshadows

A really lovely album. Poetic, melodic and excellent overall production. A little guilty of filler tracks, but we can excuse that when the meat of the album is so good.

Stand out track: Sophia

Skinny Puppy - Mythmaker

After seeing Skuppy twice this year I decided I needed to go collect some of their albums, and I really, really liked this one.

Stand out track: Ugli

I've seen all of these bands live this year and can vouche all of them are in top form. Roll on 2008!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:17 pm
I was actually a bit put-off by Mythmaker...

Anyway:
Sparks Fly Upward - BATZZ in the Belfry

Second album of this recent darkwave outfit. Notable tracks include "Fade to Gray," "O Holy Night," and "Come and Die."

Teatro Macabro - Las Gorgonas

Excellent Mexican deathrock. Some of the better songs include "Macabra La Enterradora," "No Estoy Muerto," and "Autosuficiencia."

Wound In Wall- The Feeding Fingers

Debut album of this recent post-punk revival band; fairly diverse sound. Look for "This isn't Going to Hurt," "I Can't Breathe," and "Theme For A Saw Tooth Hula Hoop."  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:25 am
Quote:

Atlantis: Hymns for Disco
K-OS

K-OS is, simply put, a genius. In a single album, he's dissected every genre of popular music from the last century and reassembled them all for his own purposes. From the cabaret and showtune influenced "Flypaper" to the pop-rock, new-wave, and reggae amalgam of "Born to Run".

K-OS still shows strengths as a straight-forward rapper (as on the very old-school "ElectricK-HeaT: The SeeKWilL" ), but also shows real chops as a singer. While some may find his work to be a bit spacey, there's no refuting how moving his music can be, particularly the auto-biographical allegory of "Ballad of Noah".

Quote:

Grinderman
Grinderman

Nick Cave and company are old now. And grumpy. Grinderman was born.

Masculine to a point of self-parody, Grinderman is one of the best garage-rock acts in years. Their constant willingness to take it too far makes them perfect at what they do, and while some might call them immature, I'd say a better descriptor would be "boyish and nostalgic".

Highlights of the album include the absurd "Depth Charge Ethel" (about prostitute of that very name who just wants everyone to get along), "Get It On" (a masculine anthem if there ever was one), and the pleasingly awkward "No p***y Blues".

Further listening and you may come to appreciate the album's best track (in my opinion), "Go Tell the Women", a dry spoken word piece that fights back traditional melody to make room for plucky post-modern frusterations. Nor should be overlooked is the self-titled track ("Grinderman"), a haunting and barren hymn of very Bad-Seeds nostalgia.

Quote:

Fighting Naked
Humanwine

I've loved Humanwine for years now. They were one of the first dark cabaret groups I really got into, and they have yet to dissappoint. Their "Rivolta Silenziosa!" [EP] was pretty damn brilliant, and this album is continuing right were is started.

Storytelling of a steaming, greasy world is ever present in the lyrics, but the real beauty of Humanwine is the sound. The vocal harmony, the complex instrumental arrangements, and the enigmatic diction all add up to an intoxicating album. While not as well focussed as the EP, the full-length album proves to be some of the best dark-cabaret os the decade.

Check Humanwine's MySpace for free download of several songs from the album, particularly, the abstolutely astounding "Rivolta Silenziosa!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:43 am

Deadchovsky - Spiritus Sancti Bizarre

Pink Turns Blue - Ghost

Frank The Baptist - The New Colossus

Miguel And The Living Dead - Postcards From the Other Side

The Last Days Of Jesus - Dead Machines Revolution  

Sinister Kung Fu

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 pm
I'm rather terrible at finding out anything new that happened, but I was made aware of this release a short time ago. :3
User Image
Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy-Múm  
Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces