Reply Music - Related Topics
Darkwave

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xStephanx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:15 pm
(Apologies if this is a repeat, I didn't see any darkwave threads for a page or two).

So, darkwave love. Some essential darkwave bands:

Cruxshadows
Diary of Dreams
Wolfsheim
Blutengel
Mortiis (Era II material)
Killing Meranda

This list is horribly incomplete, so more hardcore fans of the genre feel free to come in and add some. Dark wave crosses over into new wave (obviously), futurepop and synthpop. Its Goth's own take on new wave, just as no wave was punks take on new wave.

Its interesting that the Cruxshadows are the darkwave band with the most commercial success because they're American, and the scene is huge in Germany and even here in the UK but not in America.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:10 pm
I've wondered about Blutengel before, but I haven't gotten to listening to them yet.

Also:
*Clan of Xymox
*Hatesex
*Modern English (their Mesh and Lace album - most of their work has been synth pop)
*Black Tape For A Blue Girl (though they've also done some ethereal work)

... I have a very small darkwave library sweatdrop  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:07 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
I've wondered about Blutengel before, but I haven't gotten to listening to them yet.

They're a lot like Diene Lakaien or De/Vision, though, a bit more "oontz-oontz" than either. Though, I like them more than most of their kind (EBM/Synth-pop crowd). Chris Pohl has a great voice.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:02 am
I enjoy Audra  

Sinister Kung Fu

xStephanx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:47 pm
How about Zeromancer, Dope Stars Inc (saw them at Infest, great show) and Deathstars? Any opinions on the rockier end of this genre?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:35 am
Some bands that were/are darkwave at some CD`s changed their style, so it can be that some bands listed here, at a later time made totally different music.

Das Ich
Lacrimosa
WeltenBrand
Angina Pectoris
Illuminate
Catastrophe Ballet
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas
Dracul
Umbra et Imago
Relatives Menschsein
Misanthrophe ( not the french band)
Letzte Instanz
Glatze des Willens
Witt ( the first 2 albums)
I for sure missed some more  

osirisgoauldgoddess

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:54 am
xStephanx
How about Zeromancer, Dope Stars Inc (saw them at Infest, great show) and Deathstars? Any opinions on the rockier end of this genre?

I'm pretty sure those aren't darkwave. confused  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:54 pm
xStephanx

None are examples of the genre darkwave.

The term darkwave is often misapplied. Mick Mercer best explained it along the lines of this-

The term darkwave is far overused. Many bands who would choose not to label themselves something with negative connotations (such as goth-[anything], death-[anything], or black-[anything]), so they use darkwave as an umbrella term for the modern 'wave of dark music'. The term is innappropriately used in this sense, though.  

GilAskan
Crew

osirisgoauldgoddess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:23 pm
To two of the bands I forgot:

Goethes Erben
Project Pitchfork  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:35 pm
GilAskan

The term darkwave is often misapplied. Mick Mercer best explained it along the lines of this-

The term darkwave is far overused. Many bands who would choose not to label themselves something with negative connotations (such as goth-[anything], death-[anything], or black-[anything]), so they use darkwave as an umbrella term for the modern 'wave of dark music'. The term is innappropriately used in this sense, though.

Just looking at rockier stuff with a similar sound - although I suppose all three of those bands could be considered metal of some sort.

How about Ego Likeness?  

xStephanx

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 am
xStephanx
GilAskan

Just looking at rockier stuff with a similar sound - although I suppose all three of those bands could be considered metal of some sort.

How about Ego Likeness?

Zeromancer has got some synths in his work, but the three of them are all hard-rock. Along with 69 Eyes and HIM, who are both often mislabelled as goth or darkwave.

From what I've heard of Ego Likeness, I believe them to be darkwave.  
Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games