Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
how do i paint imperial guards

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fred smiths

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:33 am

im getting some imperial guards but i dont know how to paint em. ive looked at the website but it doesnt help, so tell me how you paint YOUR imperial guards with mabye a pic.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:25 am

You'll need these: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99179999005&orignav=300810

And these: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=300959&orignav=300810

And maybe this one, I've heard it is a good one for painting: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=60049999072&orignav=300810

Maybe a ceramic tile as well, useful for blending the paint and thinning it.

Also, decide on a good colour scheme that will see you through your entire army and isn't a pain to apply to your models. 3nodding

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Fred smiths

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:34 am

so anymore paint schemes i cant think of good ones D:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:07 am

Eh, if you're going to use every colour known to man, then get that steel encased behemoth of acrylic paint. If not, then get like 5 colours (skin, metal, armour/camouflage and black) and then 2 or 3 brushes. One fine, one not as fine, and another which you can ******** up for dry-brushing. I also think that the book she mentioned is only really good for looking at, it's never really taught me much - just search online. The ceramic (bathroom) tile is a must though. That and a pot of water are the best thing I can think of that you can get for free/cheap.

As for inspiration, look at real armies. Think of whether your army is going to be based in an urban, desert, temperate, or tundra environment, and work on a suitable colour scheme.

If you've worked out on a story then you may want to use some heraldry or fluff-based colour in the army uniform.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Fred smiths

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:09 am

ok how does this sound

im going for a snow camo,skull white flak armour,chaos black trousers with flakes of skull white,black boots,white and black gun,then for skin elf flesh and dwarf flesh.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:43 am

You'll want to throw in some grey, too. Codex Grey?

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Fred smiths

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:13 am

DarkElf27
You'll want to throw in some grey, too. Codex Grey?

where will this grey go >)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 am

To make the boots look realistic, as if they've been through snow and mud, take some earthy brown tone, with some skull white, mix it, and feather it along the edges of the boots to create a 'snowmud' effect. Run it along the bottom edges of their pants, also, if you're looking for that effect. As to shading, I'd recommend using gray or black ink.

AmonSemperGT

Fred smiths

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 am

AmonSemperGT
To make the boots look realistic, as if they've been through snow and mud, take some earthy brown tone, with some skull white, mix it, and feather it along the edges of the boots to create a 'snowmud' effect. Run it along the bottom edges of their pants, also, if you're looking for that effect. As to shading, I'd recommend using gray or black ink.

hmmm yeah that would work thanks ^^
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:50 am

I always used light bits of ink along the wrinkles of the cloth on their pants, and then darker paint for the lines of their armor for shading, and the opposite for highlighting. Although, ink works poorly for any sort of highlighting. Another thing, a way to add depth to the weapons is to put a bit of black ink in a bowl, or small container, and water it down a bit. Get a small brush, and wash the ink over the gun. Let it dry, and repeat, if you want. This will add a gritty look to your gun, along with depth to the eagle and barrel.

AmonSemperGT

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff