Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:44 pm
On the Nature of Classifying Music
~or~
Adjectives Applicable to Music Outside of Genres

This guide, to which I hope to add gradually, is meant to help understand the variance of applicable adjectives to music. Beyond genre (which are, as is their nature, adjective), numerous different categories or terms are capable of describing or defining music. This thread will hopefully help clarify the nature of each and their respective differences.

Before beginning, I would like to state that much of this thread's content is my own opinion and my own interpretation. While this thread does draw from fact to come to conclusions, the conclusion itself is interprative. This thread is meant to establish a common ground to lubricate the discussion of music.

To begin, with my first version of this thread, I hope to define the difference between:

Genre
Movement
Scene
Theme

Dictionary
Genre (n.) [zhahn-ruh]: A class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like.

Movement (n.) [moov-muh-nt]: A diffusely organized or heterogeneous group of people or organizations tending toward or favoring a generalized common goal.

Scene (n.) [seen]: An area or sphere of activity, current interest, etc.

Theme (n.) [theem]: A unifying or dominant idea, motif, etc., as in a work of art.

Music is most often described using a combination of the above mentioned terms. Disputes amongst music fans commonly arise around the nature of a band's genre, particularly when terms of the other categories are incorrectly referred to as genres.

To further explain the above terms, in context of their use-

Genre
Genre- A genre of music is dependent on playstyle. A genre should be distinctly unique due to all of its own factors. Its factors will often be shared with other genres, but not in exact proportion or combination.

Metal, for example, is a genre broadly defined by it's style of guitar, and tendencies towards certain vocal, compositional, and other instrumental (i.e. bass and drums) styles. Metal is not defined by it's lyrical themes, even if certain themes are more prevalent. Nor is the genre defined by visual themes.

Furthermore, subgenres can be established below metal as having more distinct traits. Death-metal is defined largely by it's vocal style, fast tempo, and intense instrumentals.

Movement
A movement is a unified group of likeminded individuals. Movements can encompass multiple music genres, fashion styles, art, literature, and goals. Movements will commonly also feature their own regional scenes (later to be discussed) and themes.

The Goth movement, for example, plays host to several genres of music, multiple fashion styles, iconography, and themes.

A single element of one movement can act as part of multiple other movements.

Movement Examples:

Goth
Punk
Black Metal
Hippie
No wave

Scene
A scene is a regional or local movement with it's own distinct elements, musically or otherwise. Specific scenes often feature small but distinct alterations of pre-existing genres, rather than individual genres of their own.

Los Angeles was well known for it's own brand of punk and metal bands in the 80's, and also had it's own division of the goth movement, the deathrock scene. Manchester, in a similar era, had a distinct scene of post-punk groups.

Scenes are also often linked to specific frames of time. The music scenes of 60's San Fransisco and 80's San Fransisco are drastically different.

Scene examples-

Washington DC Emotive Hardcore
Seattle Grunge
Deathrock (root LA Punk, Goth)
"Madchester" (root post-punk)
Norweigan Black Metal

Theme
Often misnomered as "genre", a theme is a concept or idea carried throughout a piece of work and shared with other works. Themes can be presented in tone, lyrical content visuals (costume, video, theatrics, etc.), or any other means of communication.

A common theme often used in the concept of a genre is "Chrisian-", as with "Christian Rock". The latter item mentioned would not be a genre because it's playstyle would not differentiate from other non-Christian rock groups; it would be defined only by it's on lyrical content.

Often times, fans of a single genre of music will refer to two seperate "genres" which really are just different themes. Black and Unblack metal are the same genre, with different themes.

As previously mentioned, these items often do have overlap.

Punk, for example, was a movement. That movement also consisted of a punk genre of music, an early London scene, and commonly recurring themes.

Not all bands of the punk genre musically were part of the movement or scene, nor do all share the same punk themes. Not all bands within the movement were of the punk genre, nor are all bands of punk themes involved with the movement, scene, or genre.

This is a bit rough for now, but I hope this can act as some sort of standard for discussion. As previously stated, this is just my opinion, as supported by some fact.

Discuss-
- Previous issues with the terms
- Things you have heard called "genres", but didn't believe to be
- Do you agree with some of the content or concepts presented?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:11 am
GilAskan

Indie
Alternative
Classic Rock
Shock Rock
"J-" anything, including visual kei  

Sinister Kung Fu

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
GilAskan

"J-" anything,

That trend is really starting to bug me.

In particular, a lot of rabid japanophile tweens are calling EVERYTHING Japanese "J-", including film, television, food, whatever. J-horror, J-Cinema, J-rock, J-pop, J-rap, J-style (fashion), J-tech (technology), J-beats (electronica)...

And don't even get me started on the C-pop (China), K-pop (Korea), Ph-Pop (Phillipines), T-pop (Thailand), R-pop (Russia) bullshit.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:07 am
GilAskan
Sinister Kung Fu
GilAskan

"J-" anything,

In particular, a lot of rabid japanophile tweens are calling EVERYTHING Japanese "J-", including film, television, food, whatever. J-horror, J-Cinema, J-rock, J-pop, J-rap, J-style (fashion), J-tech (technology), J-beats (electronica)...

And don't even get me started on the C-pop (China), K-pop (Korea), Ph-Pop (Phillipines), T-pop (Thailand), R-pop (Russia) bullshit.

Yeah I never got it either, its why I say
"A japanese rock band."
or
"A metal band, from japan."  

Rellik San
Crew

gdrockson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:39 am
Rellik San
GilAskan
Sinister Kung Fu
GilAskan

"J-" anything,

"A japanese rock band."
or

So if they're doing it, we should do A-Pop.

Oh, that's right. We'd get beaten up. Or mocked to no end. Or shunned permanently.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:40 am
gdrockson
Rellik San
GilAskan
Sinister Kung Fu
GilAskan

"J-" anything,

"A japanese rock band."
or

So if they're doing it, we should do A-Pop.

Oh, that's right. We'd get beaten up. Or mocked to no end. Or shunned permanently.

((When I say A-pop and we I'm being lame and assuming everyone on Gaia is from America, which isnt true. Sorry, that was really dumb. Its habit, like I call everything a "he" ))  

gdrockson

xStephanx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 am
A-pop reminds me of Apoptygma Berzerk. Who incidently should now be called N-pop, for being Norwegian.  
Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games