Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I'm sorry Gods but I'm just too busy ! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:49 am
TeaDidikai
as synonyms for the things they take interest in makes my teeth itch.
Quote:
Has anyone asked him?
Not I, but one of the local Hellenics asked Hermes. ~shrugs~

What did he say? biggrin

starlock- Why would a deity necessarily need to be associated with what you do for a living to be connected to you?

Actually, would you need to be associated necessarily with anything the god is associated with in order to have a relationship with them?
In fact, poseidon is a deity I really really like, I have a relationship with him. But I'd be lying if I said that horses were my favourite animal, and that the sea didn't scare me. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 am
patch99329
TeaDidikai
as synonyms for the things they take interest in makes my teeth itch.
Quote:
Has anyone asked him?
Not I, but one of the local Hellenics asked Hermes. ~shrugs~

What did he say? biggrin
As I recall, they said he laughed at them and inspired them with what amounts to a New Myth, then biffed them upside the head for something or other and left them to think about it.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:04 pm
patch99329

starlock- Why would a deity necessarily need to be associated with what you do for a living to be connected to you?

Well, for one, its probably the most common ancient form of "Patron" relationships with deity. Weaver? Bet your a** you gave offerings to Athena? Soldier? Oh yea Ares.

As for Hermes being the Patron god of the Internet? That's pretty established in the Hellenic community. I'm aiming for Dionysos being the god of Internet Drama.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 pm
Nuri
I'm aiming for Dionysos being the god of Internet Drama.
Seems reasonable.
Would Aphrodite be the patron of cyber sex?  

TeaDidikai

Mor Righ Anu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri
I'm aiming for Dionysos being the god of Internet Drama.
Seems reasonable.
Would Aphrodite be the patron of cyber sex?
-giggles- Thank you for making me laugh. Now, it would be funnier to see someone use that excuse for their cybering in the chatterbox.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:51 pm
Nuri
patch99329

Well, for one, its probably the most common ancient form of "Patron" relationships with deity. Weaver? Bet your a** you gave offerings to Athena? Soldier? Oh yea Ares.

As for Hermes being the Patron god of the Internet? That's pretty established in the Hellenic community. I'm aiming for Dionysos being the god of Internet Drama.

What about teaching? stressed Personally, I'd think Athena (at least in part), what with passing on wisdom and crafts being in the job description.  

Collowrath

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:07 pm
Romanus

What about teaching? stressed Personally, I'd think Athena (at least in part), what with passing on wisdom and crafts being in the job description.

I think that may more depend on what you are teaching, to be perfectly honest. If you are teaching drama, Dionysos, Literature -- Apollo or maybe the Muses, ect.

But Athena would fit in well too. I certainly think overlap is fine.

I work in special ed, I think Hermes might have some guidence over that. What we need is a little bit of communication after all.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:52 am
Nuri
Romanus

I think that may more depend on what you are teaching, to be perfectly honest. If you are teaching drama, Dionysos, Literature -- Apollo or maybe the Muses, ect.

But Athena would fit in well too. I certainly think overlap is fine.

I work in special ed, I think Hermes might have some guidence over that. What we need is a little bit of communication after all.

I would be teaching English lit. smile I was thinking Apollo too... I don't know much about him, but he keeps coming up in relation to things I do. sweatdrop  

Collowrath

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:59 am
TeaDidikai
Another small note:

Many pagans would dedicate their life's work to certain deities (feats of architecture, art, battle, etc), and even smaller measures of effort (a specific trade run to a specific place etc)

Mayhaps dedicating a deeply important effort in the correct context might be an option for some.

A notable example on that front for me was getting a very large and very painful tattoo.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 am
Gideon Starorzewski
TeaDidikai
Another small note:

Many pagans would dedicate their life's work to certain deities (feats of architecture, art, battle, etc), and even smaller measures of effort (a specific trade run to a specific place etc)

Mayhaps dedicating a deeply important effort in the correct context might be an option for some.

A notable example on that front for me was getting a very large and very painful tattoo.

That's an excellent example of sacrifice- but I wouldn't toss it's along side with the kind of scale and function I was speaking of.

Let's think of schooling. If you are in college for a particular discipline that could relate to the gods you serve or if you wish to simply dedicate the hard work a student puts into their education to their gods- the effort at School- something you are working on every day is a tribute- and in fact- you might even strive that much harder to increase the quality of your work if it is a tribute to the gods.

How many people would slap some paste and glitter on a piece of paper and call it a gift to the gods? I know I wouldn't- instead, I would put effort into the artwork.

Likewise, a huge aspect of your life can be dedicated and enhanced to those ends.  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:02 pm
Romanus
definitely agree with Nuri here. most deities in my experience can teach fairly well what they "specialize" in, not generalized to teaching.

Athena and passing off her wisdom...i see it more like an in depth discussion more than a typical lecture. or at least that's how she's worked with me, and that just might be because that's what works most effectively with me, 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff