Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Otherworld travel in the context of Hellenismos.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 pm
An interesting topic bought up by Romanus in the chat thread.
It was decided it should have it's own place to be disscussed biggrin

Does anyone have any knowledge of such things? Anecdotes perhaps?
What about the otherworld in the context of your culture too?

I myself am having a hard time finding information abut it. ninja

*EDIT*
Altered the bloody awful grammar.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:40 pm
I have no idea. Damn the pogo-stick. I'll have to think on this -- what exactly are we considering otherworldly travel?  

maenad nuri
Captain

Lore Lux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm
Nuri
what exactly are we considering otherworldly travel?

That's what I was wondering.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 am
Ehe sweatdrop
Romanus? Care to expand a little? xD I'm not sure myself come to think about it.  

patch99329

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:20 pm
I'm curious about a ... synonym? for the Otherworld travel in say, Asatru - some sort of trance or dream state wherein one "walks" or "travels" through a spiritual realm, in this case, probably Hades.

So far, I don't know of an analogous concept in Hellenismos, beyond the multitude of journeys to the Underworld in myth.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:54 pm
Romanus

So far, I don't know of an analogous concept in Hellenismos, beyond the multitude of journeys to the Underworld in myth.
Might not have been. ~shrugs~ I'm not sure Otherworld Traditions are universal- and they might have been reserved for Clergy even if they were present.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 pm
Hmmm, I can't find mention of it in my Plinius book now, so it might not have been in there in the first place, but I seem to recall reading about this one guy who pretended to be dead for a year, once.

He was either Greek or Roman, I'm fairly certain.

He holed himself up in this cave/house thing that he'd build, and filled up with lots of food and the likes.

He stayed there for a year, and the people who lived in that village went through all the stages of grief (this guy was exceptionally well-loved, apparently) and once he got out, everybody feared death a little less.

It was some kind of weird experiment he'd pulled. Pretty fun to read about, but not quite what we're looking for, I suppose.

Just thought I'd mention it, since the topic reminded me of that. :3  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Romanus

Might not have been. ~shrugs~ I'm not sure Otherworld Traditions are universal- and they might have been reserved for Clergy even if they were present.

Do you think it would be plausible to practice an adapted Otherworld tradition within another tradition that might lack one?

Although, I think for Hellenismos, it strikes me as dangerous - paying Charon to let you in, and then expecting him to ferry you out again? Although, there are many ways into Hades; as far as I know, there were cults that built temples over supposed entrances.

Maze: That's a cool experiment. If you remember his name, be sure to tell us?  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:32 pm
Do I think one could do it? Sure.

Do I think it is a good idea if it wasn't designed to be done?
Not sure.

If it were me (which it isn't) and if I was given reason to be so inclined (which I am not) I might actually embrace some of the Persephone mythos- with all it's texture in regards to the nature of Hades and his kingdom, the love story, the seasons etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:44 am
A friend of mine describes Hades as being a Godfather like figure (in terms of his UPG). From what he's said, it seems that he's done something similar, but I have no idea exactly how he did it.  

Gideon Starorzewski

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff