Reply Teams
A Guide To Making The Best Team

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kroww Kromwell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:23 pm

Throughout the entire forum of 'Teams' everyone has been asking others "Is my team good" "Rate my team" "Make a team for me" "What should I change?" They all direct to one question: "What is the perfect team?" Well, to start things off allow me to say this: "There is no perfect team." It all depends on how you play. In the following post, you'll see a small guide on what and who to put in a team.

Let me also say this: Always put in a Pokemon that may learn various attributes of attacks; my choice: Starmie.
Why Starmie?: Well, to start things off, Starmie has Recover; healing 1/2 your health lost a good idea? Of course.
Next, you'll need a power move that has almost no weakness: Psychic a good choice? For sure! The only weakness is Dark and Psychic. This move also has a 'speed' advantage, meaning it has a 96% chance of hitting the opponent.
A decent move that may protect you from all advantages: Protect! That's an excellent choice.
Now, you have 3 Moves out of 4, what should the 4th one be? Another power house? Not really. You're going to need something that is super-effective against almost every type of Pokemon! What choice would that be? Ice Beam! It has only 1 weakness: Fire. 2 Disadvantages: Ice and Water. This is the perfect attack, right?
Now, what are you going to put as a hold? Something that will give you a speed boost regardless of speed; Quick Claw! This will sometimes give you the first strike regardless of speed and level. This may just save you from a Thunderbolt-ing Raichu!

Now, an overview:
Starmie @ Quick Claw (Speed)
- Recover (Recovery/Defensive)
- Psychic (Attack/Speed)
- Protect (Defensive)
- Ice Beam (Attack/Virtually no disadvantages, weakness)

Isn't that great? Of course it is!

P.S: Never put two moves of the same attribute in a team if possible!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:23 pm
What A Team Needs

Well, let's start with me saying something that's really important. We're not working with what the little kids say is the best; "If I have a Water type, Fire Type and a Grass type my team is perfect!" No. No. No. That's the Newbie way of saying it. The perfect team must be balance with attributes and every Pokemon must have a role. With Roles you may easily whip up the perfect team. That's what this guide is about! Let's get started.

Sweeper- This is the first Pokemon in line. This Pokemon must have the ability to last long enough to take out a decent amount of Pokemon. There's currently two kinds of Sweepers; a special Sweeper and a Physical one. A Special one deals special attacks as stated in name and Physical Sweepers deal massive damage. A good sweeper should always have a healing like Recover, Minty Rest, etc. I find that one of the most efficient sweeper would be a Starmie in both ways!

Tank- Second Pokemon used in team. This is the power house of the team. The Pokemon must have a large amount of Defense and a fatal amount of Attack. I'd refer to Snorlax. Another way to use a tank is to have a Pokemon who may withstand a large beating and recover and rise it's defense. One would be Umbreon.

Curser- The name says it all. A Pokemon that has the move Curse and has the stats to use. I prefer a Pokemon with really low speed so it won't really matter if it losses it's speed. It's optional to have high special defense and have a healing move. One of the most efficient cursers would have to be Slowking.

Hazer- Now, what does this do? Well the name is self-explanatory; it uses the move Haze. Haze cancels all status changes to both the opponent and yourself. For those who have been frozen in attempt of how to get rid of status changes, here's your chance to learn how! Let's put it this way: You're against a level 78 Blastoise with a decent move-set. You're the same level with a water Pokemon. If he happens to boost up it's attack someone, you're pretty much boned. That's when you summon a Hazer and cancel it out! If you're against a Curser, this is the perfect move. There is another kind of Hazer out there! Guess what?!? It's something called a Psuedo-Hazer! This is something I wouldn't recommend. It's basically a Pokemon who has the skill to make the opponent switch Pokemon, a Pokemon with Roar or Whirlwind. One of the best Hazers' is of course, Weezing!

BPer- Stands for baton Passer. If you're not so advance in Pokemon, it means a Pokemon with the move Baton Pass which switches in battle Pokemon with random Pokemon in party. Not only that, it also transfers all stat changes to the switched Pokemon! BPers have a phobia of Hazers since they may cancel out all effects, but, if they don't have one, you're in for a sure victory! A healing move is recommended. One of the best BPers is Scizor with major power.

Opener: This is pretty much the same as a Sweeper, the only difference is that an Opener should only deal Status Change attacks. This Role may normally be countered with a Ground Type as a Ground Type gains no damage from a Lightning type and I know most of you would be using Thunder Wave. A better choice would be Confuse Ray or Hypnosis. Hold it! Having an Opener would mean Speed! Alakazam, Jolteon or Gengar are the best choices.

Heal Beller- The name says it all. A Pokemon who knows Heal bell. This move cancels all status inflictions and and heals yourself. This works especially well against Openers and shufflers. The best choice would be Miltank.

Shuffler- A more complex role. This is one of my favorites! A Pokemon that may deal Status from a Major Attack. Don't get it? For instance, if you deal enough damage from Body Slam the opponent will get paralyzed, Thunderbolt= paralyzed, Blizzard= Frozen, Poison Fang= Poisoned. Now the opponent will normally switch Pokemon. Not a problem. Just keep on repeating that process. This Role is too good to have a recommended Pokemon.

Killer/Fisher- A really hard Pokemon to create. This is a double-edged sword. If you miss and you're low on HP, you're dead. This role needs a Pokemon that knows a One Hit K.O move like Fisher or Guillitone or Horn Drill (? I forgot it.) Well, a Fisher normally lures out the Hazer and Heal Beller and knocks them out with the Killer Role. Too many Fishers to recommend. But, I guess Rhydon would be a good choice.

Drainer- Not so good. It's pretty much a Pokemon that drains out the opponents health points by first putting them to sleep. It'd be good to use Sleep Powder then Mega Drain. It's very rare to see a drainer. Another good drainer would be a Ghost type putting the opponent to sleep then follow it up with Dream Eater. A recommendation would be Venusaur or Gengar.

Spikers- A Pokemon that uses Spike and can be combined with Fishing. A Forretress would be able to use spike causing the opponent to suffer damage when first played. That means a Fisher can always lure out more and more Pokemon. They are many ways to do so. A recommendation would be Forretress

Rester/Sleep Talker- Something that may cause major damage or just do nothing. Snorlax would be the best choice. Be sure to always equip a Mint Berry so that they may awaken after being put to sleep with Rest that restores your health. After, you may use Sleep Talk that may come up with a highly powered Body Slam!

Finally finished. Well, I have to call it a night for now.

Kroww Kromwell

Kroww Kromwell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:24 pm
Debates

Thunderbolt vs Thunder
Do I need to say anything? Thunderbolt has a good 5 PP more and that awesome 99.6% accuracy. It doesn't need a secondary back move and it can work up some damage. Unless you use the Rain Dance with Thunder combo, it's a bad attack.

Ice Beam vs Blizzard
Not even worth the talk. Ice Beam all the way. Blizzard only has a 70% chance of hitting with only 5 PP on board. Two Ice Beam pretty much deals the same amount of damage anyway with the same amount of accuracy as Thunderbolt!

Sludge Bomb vs Toxic
Now, this is something interesting. This isn't such an easy choice. If you want an instant poison, go with Toxic, if you want to deal some damage with a 50/50 chance of poisoning, go with Sludge Bomb. I prefer Sludge Bomb, though.

Flamethrower vs Fire Blast
I hated this debate. I love both the attacks. Fire Blast has a at the most accuracy of 85% and is extremely powerful. As for Flamethrower, it has a lot more PP and is a lot more accurate. It's virtually equal! So, in the end, I prefer Flamethrower.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:25 pm
Reserved for Future Uses  

Kroww Kromwell

Kroww Kromwell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:57 pm
Reserved for Future Uses  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:09 am
Looks good. Keep up the good work. ^^  

krishnath

Tyhoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:21 am
Kroww Kromwell

Throughout the entire forum of 'Teams' everyone has been asking others "Is my team good" "Rate my team" "Make a team for me" "What should I change?" They all direct to one question: "What is the perfect team?" Well, to start things off allow me to say this: "There is no perfect team." It all depends on how you play. In the following post, you'll see a small guide on what and who to put in a team.

Let me also say this: Always put in a Pokemon that may learn various attributes of attacks; my choice: Starmie.
Why Starmie?: Well, to start things off, Starmie has Recover; healing 1/2 your health lost a good idea? Of course.
Next, you'll need a power move that has almost no weakness: Psychic a good choice? For sure! The only weakness is Dark and Psychic. This move also has a 'speed' advantage, meaning it has a 96% chance of hitting the opponent.
A decent move that may protect you from all advantages: Protect! That's an excellent choice.
Now, you have 3 Moves out of 4, what should the 4th one be? Another power house? Not really. You're going to need something that is super-effective against almost every type of Pokemon! What choice would that be? Ice Beam! It has only 1 weakness: Fire. 2 Disadvantages: Ice and Water. This is the perfect attack, right?
Now, what are you going to put as a hold? Something that will give you a speed boost regardless of speed; Quick Claw! This will sometimes give you the first strike regardless of speed and level. This may just save you from a Thunderbolt-ing Raichu!

Now, an overview:
Starmie @ Quick Claw (Speed)
- Recover (Recovery/Defensive)
- Psychic (Attack/Speed)
- Protect (Defensive)
- Ice Beam (Attack/Virtually no disadvantages, weakness)

Isn't that great? Of course it is!

P.S: Never put two moves of the same attribute in a team if possible!
stare Hmm...*clears throat*

scream YOU FAIL! scream

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to write a guide and for the most part it looks good. But this...this is garbage.

First, let's tackle the issue of lead pokemon. When putting a pokemon in the leading position, it needs to be able to do one of three things:

1. Sweep effectively and efficiently against many different types.
2. Tank effectively and efficiently against many different types.
3. Provide weather, status, field, or stat support for the team.

The sight of the Deathstar will make moderately experienced trainers wet themselves and spinning-star can definetely cause problems, but once that crap-tacular starmie launches a Psychic or Protect you'll be facing down your opponent's steel type with no choice but to switch, defeating the entire purpose of leading with it in the first place.

Second, let's discuss your post-script. Let's examine Earthquake (which will now be noted as EQ); EQ is a physical Ground type move that has 100 base power and 100 accuracy. It can be learned by many frequently used pokemon and is effective against rock, steel, fire, poison, and electric types. It falls short against bug and grass pokemon and is resisted completely by flying pokemon and pokemon with the levitate ability.

So does anyone want to guess how many EQ users are on a standard team? According to Kroww, there should only be one, so defeating a pokemon with EQ automatically means that electric pokemon have it pretty easy because they can zap everything in sight and only have to mildy concern themselves with grass types.

Truth be told, any pokemon that is focused in physical attacks and can learn it is usually packing EQ. Why? Because 100 base power is damn threatening and super effective hits are important. The same can be said for Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Brick Break, ThunderBolt, and Ice Beam; They're just too good to pass up.

Oh, and before I'm asked:

Deathstar:
Starmie @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Timid
ThunderBolt
Ice Beam
Surf
Grass Knot/Rest

Spinning Star/Tankstar:
Starmie @ Leftovers
Bold
Recover