Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Unfair Advanced/Honors Biology

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

M0RB1DLY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:04 pm
This makes me horribly sad. I wanted to be in AP Biology, but you CANNOT get out of the dissecting of a fetal pig. You have to participate or fail. Same with Honor's Biology...You have to dissect an abandoned/stray cat that wasn't adopted from the shelter. It's pretty horrible that I couldn't be in the appropriate level because there was conflict with my personal beliefs. : /  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 am
Huh? At my school they let you do an alternate project if you didn't want to dissect the cat. Maybe you just need to get other people behind you to request the alternate project.
I went ahead and dissected the cat, simply because if I'm going to do surgery with animals in the future, you have to work with dead bodies first. It's not really fair to force everyone to do the dissection, especially the cat, since some people wouldn't be able to handle the organs or the parasites in them.  

sora987

M0RB1DLY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:39 pm
sora987
Huh? At my school they let you do an alternate project if you didn't want to dissect the cat. Maybe you just need to get other people behind you to request the alternate project.
I went ahead and dissected the cat, simply because if I'm going to do surgery with animals in the future, you have to work with dead bodies first. It's not really fair to force everyone to do the dissection, especially the cat, since some people wouldn't be able to handle the organs or the parasites in them.

If you're in Normal Bio you're allowed to...But if You're in Advanced or Honors ( they're different...) You can't. D:  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:28 pm

Wow, that's ridiculous. =/
I've never been faced with that choice, luckily.
I'm an anthropology major so I don't have to take any science courses.
Freshman biology though requires you to do a behavioral experiment with live mice, though. :[[[

loony x lovegood
Crew

sora987

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:45 pm
Bucket of Chicken
sora987

If you're in Normal Bio you're allowed to...But if You're in Advanced or Honors ( they're different...) You can't. D:

What are you talking about? The class I dissected the cat in (among other animals) was an AP biology course. neutral Maybe it's just at your school where it's different.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:33 pm
I'm in AP Bio, although I don't think we'll be dissecting this year. It's basically a faster-paced continuation of regular bio, but it's all notes. I went ahead and did the dissections in my anatomy class. It's for educational and possibly future profession reasons.

I didn't think they could make you go against your beliefs. If you make a big enough fuss, something will have to happen. Have you tried talking to the teacher or principal? It's not like you're lazy and just don't want to do it. Maybe there's an online "dissection" they'll allow you to do instead? You won't be robbed of your education if you see drawn organs instead of the real thing.

Edit - Sorry for necro'ing the thread. I always forget to check post dates. mad D

QueenMaeve

x_Toxic_Aura_x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:03 am
You can probably talk to your school guidance counselor about it and perhaps have a meeting with the teacher that teaches that class. It's not fair for you to want to take it for the credits, but hold back because of the dissection. My friends and I hope to get dissection stopped at our school.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:17 pm
Same with my school - dissection is mandatory otherwise you fail. So that day, I'm playing hooky and skipping out. xp But I'm trying to get it stopped. . . (Stupid teachers have to do it old-fashioned. Some one should make a virtual dissection on the Interwebs. 3nodding

BiteYourLip-and-Smile

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 pm
That's appalling. I had to go through the same thing in highschool. That was a while ago, though. (graduated in '97) You think things would have changed by now. sad  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:51 am
I wasn't of the vegetarian mind when I was in school... lucky me.  

Lady Schist

Chobitpersocom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:16 pm
Online dissection? I was in Honors Bio and as long as I had a note from a parent I could do it online instead. It was great not to have to cut up a poor little animal. =]  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:45 pm
i cut up a fetal pig freshman year in biology. there was no online option. i wasn't vegetarian back then, so it didnt bother me.

the pigs where they come from are slaughtered for food, and the fetal pigs would have died anyway. the school already bought the pigs, so it's either going to be dissected or thrown out.

next year i'm taking bio II, and i have to dissect the euthanized cat. the shelter euthanizes them anyway, so the school is being less wasteful by purchasing the bodies. there isn't a demand for dead cats that the shelter is supplying; it's a win-win for the school and shelter.

of course, i'd rather not dissect anything, but the schools try tend to try to make it as fair as acquiring the dead animals goes.

what is UNFAIR is my science class in sixth grade. we dissected these really big frogs that were caught in the wild, euthanized, and then purchased by the school. there was no online alternative. i didn't feel as bad back then because i wasn't vegetarian, but now that i am, i'm horrified. it's atrocious that they slaughter frogs for the "sake of science."

And it's not even like, important research. Just cutting up bodies for 12 year olds to dissect and then throw away.

):

aoijea23487

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces