Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Certified_Snugglewhore

2,750 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi all, Ive been building a small necron army for a little while, and I found an extremely simple and good looking way to paint rusty necrons.

Step1. Build your friggin' necrons
Step2. Undercoat with black primer
Step3. Paint armored carapace with silver (I used mythril silver, but boltgun metal or any other color works)
Step4. take a paintbrush-load of scorched or bestial brown and mix it about 75/25 with water.
Step5. once "ink" solution is mixed, paint it onto any areas you want to be rusty on your models.
Step 6. Repeat as necessary.

This method works extremely well, and the rust looks very realistic. However, because the water and paint dry at different speeds even when mixed together, you will often be left with only slight rust colouring, if that is the case, repeat the process with a hgiher concentration of the brown paint, more like 50/50 mix with the water.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:44 pm

Dry brushing Tin Bitz seems to achieve good rust effects as well.

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Dark Lore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I've found another good way is to use a scorched brown basecoat over the model once sprayed black, then carefully apply boltgun metal over some areas leaving some schorched brown. Then apply a careful drybrush of chainmail over the metal and then once this is dry mix brown ink and black ink, once thinned apply all over the model. Once dry apply a thin line of chaos black to the edges of the scorched brown.

Of course this is a more 'a**l' and time consuming process it looks spectacular
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:36 am

I find it usefull to make rust with the foundation paints, I don't really remember the name of the ones I use, but I can check it up when I get home, it's a good way to get a rusty effect, the only thing one should think of it placing it on places where actual rust would appear, which would be where the water would do most damage on the metal.

Shinobi_8745

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff