Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Any Good Coloring programs other than Photoshop? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm
Give Paint Tool Sai a try. While it's only a month's worth of free-ness, the program is 50 bucks and quite frankly, worth a lot more. It took me a few months and using Christmas money to get it, but it's worth it.

Sai is an acceptable substitution to Photoshop. There are a few options I wish it had, but it isn't crippling to a new artist, or even an older one. Do a search on DA for Sai tutorials, or the ones suggested in this thread, and you'll figure it out, easy as pie. I found it easier to get used to than Open Canvas (but I do love that program as well) and the various brush options are very handy and amusing to play with.  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:09 am
There's also Paint which is most likely already on your computer.
If not; Paint
GIMP is really good. It's one of those programs where you can use tutorials to learn the basics and mechanics of it but still experiment with the way you want.

It's also okay to request new programs to use event hough you have GIMP already. There's no harm in that, your just broadening your horizons. I know plenty of people who have GIMP, then photoshop ectr. then barely use one over the other.

But like everyone else recommended there are some really good tutorials on deviant art and even here on Gaia that I've seen.

There's this other program I've used my computer teacher recommended it. I think it's pixel paint or something.  

SageMinto

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:48 am
have you looked into paint.net it was pretty decent untill i got oC and Ps myself.

edit: i found a link with a few free programs you can browse thru http://www.freebyte.com/graphicprograms/
i've only heard of artrage, gimp and paint.net myself so i dunno much about the others from the list  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:29 pm
When I lost photoshop due to old-computer-is-old, I worked almost exclusively with GIMP. Now that I have tried both, I wouldn't even go back to photoshop, although maybe I only saw an older version of PS. Though I will admit I'm a fan of GNU.

And yeah echoing what other people have said - if you find GIMP too complex, chances are you would struggle with Photoshop too. I'd recommend trying it out properly first. If you still don't like it, at least now you'll know what the program's about before you reject it! If it turns out you do like it, you'll have a useful and powerful tool that you can now add to your repertoire.

Colouring wise I'd also recommend SAI. I haven't seen anything that can beat their blending tool yet ;P  

Elsiane

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

x.Wing.x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 pm
SAI has been like, the best thing that's come to this world since pasta. If you like simple programs and prefer to paint almost like a traditional style, then I would recommend it for you. Honestly, I don't like Photoshop too much because you have to adjust the brushes and figure out its shortcuts to actually use it effectively, whereas SAI is a very straightforward program. Furthermore, you can work on .psd (Photoshop) files on there and vice versa.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:17 am
Photoshop is actually pretty good but other than that the only other program that compares is corel painter as it is ment for digital painting. The main pallet that makes it so useful is the color mixing palette. So you can get that same painterly mixing going on.  

Brent Da Supreme Overlord

Nayumi-kuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:14 pm
I don't know many, just corel painter, open canvas and gimp but only because I heard of it =/  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:14 pm
Yeah there is program paint but its not fun to use because you can still see the pixels. cry  

Copic-Kun

Supportive Browser

Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas